Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The world's worst tourists? The French

Back when I was living in Corsica, the British tourists were nice and quiet and the Germans too, although, yeah, they're extremely cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I never had any trouble visiting France. But then I was a student and they seemed very charmed and very encouraging about me trying out my French. But the French visiting here? Totally different story and I've rarely seen it.
    Where did you go, Grey?
    Last edited by Tati; July 9th, 2009 at 09:13 PM.
    I don't want to perish like a fading horse - best lyric ever

Quote Originally Posted by LaFolie View Post
    Yep, we French people look down on other cultures... I hate to admit it, but I dislike how smug my people is (ok, I'm first-generation, but anyway). I also hate the way Americans and Italians behave in France.
    And how do the Americans behave. Umm-I was going to come visit you,but now worry...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Paris and Normandy. I'd like to explore more of the 'touristy' coast and there's still a big hunk of the Louvre I haven't seen yet. You could spend two solid weeks in there and not get a chance to appreciate everything.

I've always heard how rude the Parisians were to Americans, but I had no such experience. Everyone was very nice to me. Even this waiter who teased me to death because I used the Belgian numbering system, rather than the ridiculous 'real French' one.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

^Oh yeah, "septante"!! Oh, Jag, do come!! We know you're a real lady!! My beef with run-of-the-mill American tourists is that they're always trying to behave as if they were in the US... Plus they're so loud in museums and are not interested in the culture at all! But those are the bumbag-wearing types...

^Oh yeah, "septante"!! Oh, Jag, do come!! We know you're a real lady!! My beef with run-of-the-mill American tourists is that they're always trying to behave as if they were in the US... Plus they're so loud in museums and are not interested in the culture at all! But those are the bumbag-wearing types...
    I still can't get over the fact they were selling Da Vinci Code audioguides at the freakin' Louvre the last time I went there. Luckily, I'd seen the Mona Lisa before, so I didn't have to walk through the throng of tourists being herded like cattle in front of it, occasionally hearing a "THERE it is!" (and yes, in an American accent) shout from the crowd.

Yes, there's that thing from that movie with Tom Hanks. Well done. Now please die in a fire.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

When i went to the Phillipines earlier this year and I was disgusted at the way these German tourists were speaking to the locals. It was so condescending and rude. Like the locals were supposed to be slaves to them or something.

And there was an arrogant ass of an American staying at the Slouch Hat in Manila trying to scam his way out of paying his bill. The place is owned by Australians but was being run by a fiesty Fillipino lady. Not did she make him pay the bill, she was soo funny in how she handled it. We tipped her extra because of it lol!

I think everyone has the potential for being a bad tourist. I just tend to witness it from Americans and Germans. The best tourists seem to be the Irish.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    I still can't get over the fact they were selling Da Vinci Code audioguides at the freakin' Louvre the last time I went there. Luckily, I'd seen the Mona Lisa before, so I didn't have to walk through the throng of tourists being herded like cattle in front of it, occasionally hearing a "THERE it is!" (and yes, in an American accent) shout from the crowd.

Yes, there's that thing from that movie with Tom Hanks. Well done. Now please die in a fire.

ex-fucking-actly!!!!

^Oh yeah, "septante"!!

Exactly! Why not just say neuftante-huit instead of quatre-vingt-dix-huit? Who the hell wants to do that much math all the damn time.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Exactly! Why not just say neuftante-huit instead of quatre-vingt-dix-huit? Who the hell wants to do that much math all the damn time.
    Wait, what's this? You mean there are places where they don't do the quatre-vingt or soixante-etc. thing? Bah, we Canadians learn it the long way! I didn't know there was any other way!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

^^^
    switzerland and belgium.
    geneva's a bit funny. they say septante, quatre-vingts and nonante. the rest of switzerland says septante, huitante and nonante.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Yeah, I went to high school in Belgium and learned my French there. They are so much more sensible.

Quote Originally Posted by TheONe View Post
    French Canadians SUCK too...they had nothing but hate for us when we went up there.
    I'm from Ontario and my family was treated like shit by most of the French when they found out we didn't speak French fluently and weren't from Quebec.

Meh, not all Brits are alcoholic twats

Well at least 1% of us

^ Oh, Jag, do come!! We know you're a real lady!! My beef with run-of-the-mill American tourists is that they're always trying to behave as if they were in the US... Plus they're so loud in museums and are not interested in the culture at all! But those are the bumbag-wearing types...
    Sugar! I would not be caught dead in a bumbag OR raising my voice in public-certainly not a museum! Good lord-that is what they are doing??
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

And demanding hamburgers and ketchup for everything?? As an American myself, I'd make fun of those kind of tourists too. Also, anyone wearing a fanny pack is just asking for the ridicule.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information