Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: World's scariest runways

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Gibraltar definitely scary, although I personally think the one outside Florence is the worst. About two minutes after takeoff the plane goes almost completely vertical in an attempt to clear teh mountains. It's like being in a rocket. I recommend multiple drinks before takeoff.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

A*O

Queenstown in New Zealand is interesting too. It's on the edge of a lake/fijord with lots of high mountains all around so you basically take off and go straight UP. If the weather is dodgy (normal in NZ) you might have to go around and land again until it clears. Last time we took off, Captain said "don't worry if we do some unusual manoeuvres to get out of here" and after a few minutes flying very low watching the sheep grazing on the mountain sides either side of us we went around, landed again and waited for the weather to improve. So we sat on the runway, engines revving for a gap in the clouds and then, wham! off we went almost vertical to clear the cloudbase and into the clear blue sky above.

"Vurry Unteristing" as they say in NZ.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I've been on 2,3,7 and 8.

they have # 8 as JFK in NY, but not LaGuardia which is way scarier...it's really short and on the water...it's had a few crashes over the years
    LAG scares the bejesus out of me. I swear everytime I fly I'm going out of JFK, but never do.

My house is in the flight path for LAG (in the Bronx), it's amazing to watch the descent they make going in and how they look pulling up. They are almost vertical on take off. How they haven't had more crashes into people's homes or the bay amazes me.

I remember the one about 20 years or so ago, the plane skid off the runway into the frozen water. Scary shit. Ever drive the highway when a plane is coming in? Looks like they're going to land on your car.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    LAG scares the bejesus out of me. I swear everytime I fly I'm going out of JFK, but never do.

My house is in the flight path for LAG (in the Bronx), it's amazing to watch the descent they make going in and how they look pulling up. They are almost vertical on take off. How they haven't had more crashes into people's homes or the bay amazes me.

I remember the one about 20 years or so ago, the plane skid off the runway into the frozen water. Scary shit. Ever drive the highway when a plane is coming in? Looks like they're going to land on your car.
    I drive past LaGuardia 1-2 times/week. We see the same things. We love when the flight path takes the planes over the highway - they are literally 10 feet above your head. Many times the cars on the highway slow down to experience this.

Quote Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
    I drive past LaGuardia 1-2 times/week. We see the same things. We love when the flight path takes the planes over the highway - they are literally 10 feet above your head. Many times the cars on the highway slow down to experience this.
    It's awesome! You can feel their tailwind (?) as they come down, the car seems to shake a bit. I swear you can see the pilots faces as the plane goes past.

I love sitting in my backyard for the same reason- you hear the roar of the plane overhead and the back breeze as it races 20 feet over the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    It's awesome! You can feel their tailwind (?) as they come down, the car seems to shake a bit. I swear you can see the pilots faces as the plane goes past.

I love sitting in my backyard for the same reason- you hear the roar of the plane overhead and the back breeze as it races 20 feet over the house.

We often say one of these days we're going to pull over and hang by the side of the road for a half an hour and watch. There are places to safely do this. When they take off - they often start going north towards the Bronx and hang a u-turn south, which takes them right over Manhattan. I've been on a number of those flights and it's cool to watch it from the outside. I'm a nervous flyer so I am terrified on the plane but I can appreciate the "coolness" of it at the same time. I feel like I am going to die but yet I am amazed and love the sights.

I live in Gibraltar and it can be quite scary. If for no other reason that when there aren't planes landing and taking off, there's a very busy road that run across the middle of it. They bring barriers down when planes are coming in or leaving, but if the pilot goes a little bit wrong, that's an awful lot of cars and pedestrians that are gonna get it. Also a petrol station practically on the runway and the big green oval is a school sports playing field.
    "In an underdeveloped country don't drink the water. In a developed country don't breathe the air." - Jonathan Raban.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information