Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why are New Yorkers different than Californians?

Gold Member

I'm Los Angeles born and raised and LA/California is awesome.

I wouldn't move for all the world. I truly love it here. LA is the only city that is home to me.

We lived in NYC for 5 years. And then LA for 2 years. We're now in San Francisco Peninsula area. I found NY to be a really exciting place where you felt like you were part of this creative, thriving metropolis. It was literally a city that never sleeps and everything is at your fingertips. Everything was within walking distance and strangers talk to you in their brash, no-nonsense way.

LA however was sunny yes, but people were into superficial appearances. They may have smiled and acted nice but there was some fakeness there. The sunny weather probably allowed a lifestyle to grow based on being outdoorsy, sporty, beachy and body conscious. Whereas NYC was founded on industry, business, finances and the garment trade built by the many immigrants who settled there.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet and sexy View Post
    I'm Los Angeles born and raised and LA/California is awesome.

I wouldn't move for all the world. I truly love it here. LA is the only city that is home to me.
    The low humidity there was very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by saimamom View Post
    We lived in NYC for 5 years. And then LA for 2 years. We're now in San Francisco Peninsula area. I found NY to be a really exciting place where you felt like you were part of this creative, thriving metropolis. It was literally a city that never sleeps and everything is at your fingertips. Everything was within walking distance and strangers talk to you in their brash, no-nonsense way.

LA however was sunny yes, but people were into superficial appearances. They may have smiled and acted nice but there was some fakeness there. The sunny weather probably allowed a lifestyle to grow based on being outdoorsy, sporty, beachy and body conscious. Whereas NYC was founded on industry, business, finances and the garment trade built by the many immigrants who settled there.
    This is pretty much the way I feel about them, too. I found New Yorkers in general to be a lot friendlier than they are given credit for, just as I found Angelenos to be a lot more uptight than I expected. People smile a lot there, but they don't necessarily smile with their eyes. WAY too much emphasis on status and appearances.

It's funny, because I really don't care for living in SoCal. OC is the worst. It's so generic and superficial. Plus, I don't really love the weather. I like a little variety. Heck, even in Miami Beach we got rain.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^Yeah, my dad and his wife are visiting right now, they live in the Inland Empire. She was saying you guys haven't had rain in months. Typical.

What I liked about New York is the changing seasons, the rain, the snow, the fact that people walk a lot more than other places, you can get anything there, see anything there - at any time of the day or night. That is what makes New Yorkers unique and very interesting. And within reasonable reach is the countryside, which provides relief from the intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by saimamom View Post
    I'd love to be there; i hate driving, so being able to walk to absolutely everything is great.

I love everything about New York - the sights, the sounds, the smells... I get this feeling of not just being alive, but truly living. It sounds corny, I know, and it's impossible to put into words, but it's like the city gets inside to your very core. Now I just sound crazy, it's just so hard to explain...

^^No, I know what you mean. I used to go there a lot for my former job, and just driving into the city I could feel this palpable energy and excitement the second we got onto the Triborough Bridge.

Gold Member

I have visited the east coast before, however, I seem to fit in much more in LA than I do over there. LA is not fake to me. I like going to Whole Foods in flip-flops and the wide streets and coffeeshops. It's all very nice and relaxing. I grew up on these wide streets with palm trees. I don't think I would move for anything now. I'm 33 and set in my ways.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet and sexy View Post
    I don't think I would move for anything now. I'm 33 and set in my ways.
    Oh, I know what you mean..... I can't imagine ever leaving my home state to live somewhere else either.

It's wonderful to love where you live!

Hit By Ban Bus!

^True that. I'd love to visit New York City once or twice a year for a week, though!

Everybody knows this! California people are blond and drive convertibles. They wave at each other from cars.
    New York people walk everywhere, are mostly brunette and say "Snap outta it" and "Forgetaboutit".
    CA=salads and avacodos.
    NY=pizza and salami.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information