Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: What's your favorite Disney Resort hotel in FL?

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Is Grimm ever coming back to tell the rest of his stories?
    Thought he was just ignoring me....since I seemed a tad over eager to hear about Epcot. As I said earlier in the thread, the fact he even went to Disney is still a hard pill to swallow for me....which is why I am so over eager to hear!

Ok, we've narrowed it down to Animal Kingdom (went there last and LOVED it) and Coronado Springs. They have a great deal at Port Orleans Riverside but I cannot take the room decor. Barf.

Can anyone give me any specifics on CS or even Port Orleans? We have a promotion that expires tomorrow so I have to figure this out pronto!

If you have the time, I'd recommend checking out DISboards. They have a 100ish page thread on CS (I poked through some random pages and a lot of people seem to like it quite a bit, but it isn't heavily Disney themed, if that's something that matters to you). It should all be pretty recent since the thread was started in 11/11.

Coronado Springs Resort - New Unofficial FAQ Thread - November 2011 - The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com
    nancydrew likes this.

DISboards is the best place for info concerning a Disney vacation. And if they don't have the info there, there is always someone that just happens to have a link handy to a place that does.
    Bellatheball likes this.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

Thanks NoDay. I've been scouring message boards but never saw that thread. TONS of photos! I appreciate it!

Well I've stayed at Port Orleans...but when I stayed there it was two separate resorts, Port Orleans and Dixie Landings. We stayed in Dixie Landings. It was ok. Nothing super special, but it was just my hub & I and we didn't need extra room or anything so we had just the standard room. The Water Taxi was great though (not many resorts have that) and it had nice pools (some adult only which of course I remember)! We liked it. Would I stay there again? Yes...but would prefer a different resort if I was able to. If that makes sense.

Those DIS boards are good, but boy there are some true Disney loons out there...

Oh yeah, I try to ignore the truly crazy on that board because there is some good information mixed in. But man, there is a difference between liking Disney as an adult, and being completely obsessed and they are on the bad side of it....
    Bellatheball likes this.

Lynnie, that was very helpful. That's most of the reason I liked Animal Kingdom. It felt like a different place because everything was so lush and beautiful. People toss around the term "heavily themed" which it is but in a fantastic way.

I can't convince myself of Port Orleans. It looks fine but even on the website the rooms are shabby. The rooms at Coronado are my style but there are so many knocks on the resort being too big or having too many business people there for conference.

Apparently I have my answer???

There are some batshit people on the DIS, that's for sure! I love reading it during a boring ass day at work, they get so worked up about the silliest of shit.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

Thanks everyone. After tons of consideration, input from all of you and endless reading on the Disney boards, I'm going with my gut. We're going back to Animal Kingdom Resort. Woo!

Ahem.. Epcot.. sorry, I'm trying to remember all of it. It was pretty go go go go.

When we finally got to Epcot (after my run in with the american medical industry) we ran right to the ride inside the big golfball. I'd like to say that said golfball is a RIDICULOUSLY impressive piece of architecture. Completely tidy, not a mark on it. Staring at it kinda gives you a headache it's so geometric. It was an interesting, if kind of dull ride.. the history of humankind! Animatronic cave men, the creation of papyrus in egypt, and then Foxxy Brown in a NASA control room in the 60s. Kinda goofy, but overall fun.

After that we made a beeline for Soarin', but had arrived too late to get a fastpass, and the wait was over 2 hours. Soarin' is this fake hang glider you get into, a flight simulator. Beside that, Test Track (car ride simulator and race track) was similarly backlogged, so we decided to take a walk through all the nature stuff. Went on a couple of "look at how farming works" rides, presented by Chiquita Banana (no mention of farmer killings or merc squads, shame on you Chiquita.. i know how you work in central america).. Epcot is definitely the drier, more educational Disney park. After that, we did the "under the sea" thing, to see the dolphins and turtles and fish as a walkthrough. We did the Finding Nemo ride, but half of it was broken so a lot of the animatronics were dead.. kind of surprising, given that it's Disney. I think at that point the park closed, so we had to vacate.

We went back the next day, and managed to squeeze in Flight Control (or Flight Center) where you train to be a shuttle pilot and are admonished to do a good job by Gary Sinise (coasting on his Apollo 13 quasi fame). Kind of fun, but not for the claustrophobic. You're strapped into a chair with a control panel 1/2 foot in front of your face and if you pick the harder selection, you're whirled around to simulate G forces pressing on you. I opted for the NO whirling pussy version, cuz spinning in circles makes me puke. Kinda fun.

After that, we hit up the Coral Reef restaurant that has large viewing windows attached to the "under the sea" aquarium... lots of fishies, and sharks swimming lazily by, and large sea turtles here and there. Kinda neat to eat by. Don't bother trying to take pictures, your flash will just bounce off the glass. Make reservations, and when you arrive ask if you can be seated next to the viewing windows. They can sometimes accommodate.

After that, we took a tour through all the countries that have pavillions.. only got to explore a couple of them, but they were all impressively built. You can get food at each one that represents the country. We tried the French restaurant which had decent food. The wait staff in each of these country themed restaurants are hired FROM those countries.. so I had a lovely time speaking elegant French with our waitress. There was France, England, Morrocco, China, Japan, Germany, .. one of the scandinavian countries.. Denmark maybe?... also, sadly on the list was a little booth by Haiti selling hand made stuff. It looked so pathetic, I felt bad for it. Then I wondered how the hell Haiti could afford even a tiny pavillion at Disney, unless it was a charity thing.

By that point we had done pretty much everything and vamoosed before the Epcot fireworks show so we could beat the bus rush back to Coronado Springs

There's lots more educational stuff to do at Epcot.. it's kind of like a science and tech museum for kids. Lots of "how does this work" and "try this to see what happens" displays. It's impressively built, but again.. kind of like a science museum. Compared to the rest of Disney I found it a bit dull myself.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Thanks for the review, Grimm! My fiance and I are trying to decide whether or not to visit Epcot on our honeymoon. We're definitely doing the Magic Kingdom, and the Universal parks, but we were thinking of throwing in either Epcot or Hollywood Studios as well.

I have visited Epcot twice and never really had a particularly memorable experience. I was wondering if that would change as an adult. I wasn't sure if it's the sort of thing that was just boring to a child who is expecting thrill rides, or boring in general.

If it's basically just a glorified children's museum, I think I'd rather skip it and use that time doing something else.

Ha, Mission Space was the thing with Gary Sinise. The G/centrifugal force side is actually a LOT of fun to do if you can take it. There has been more than 1 person who died on that ride actually (although I believe they all fall into the too young/too old/already sick category).

southernbelle: Epcot can be fun if you make it fun. I have fun doing some of the sciency stuff, and there are a few things worth the wait time (Test Track, which is really mostly about the part where they take you out in the open air, Mission Space, Soarin-which is a cool experience). The World Showcase is mostly food, alcohol, and shopping. There are very few rides (just in Mexico, which is like It's a Small World and in Norway, Maelstrom, which is mostly about Norse mythology and pretty slow except for a very tame backwards drop).

Hollywood Studios is fairly pathetic as a park, and that's from someone who really likes some of what is there. It isn't laid out very well (it's easy to get lost and hard to find some of the bigger attractions), and some of it is outdated. The newest movie in the Great Movie Ride is Raiders of the Lost Ark, and the Star Tours update that got a whole lot of press a couple years ago, isn't that big a deal. It's the same ride with new graphics. However, there are 2 thrill rides there, Tower of Terror and Rockin Roller Coaster and I hear the Toy Story arcade ride is a lot of fun, but I've never been willing to wait 2 hours to ride it and every time I've been there all the fast passes were gone for the day.

Depending on if you have a park hopper pass, how busy the parks are, and how busy you want your day to be, you can actually do Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios in 1 day. Start at Animal Kingdom (it closes earlier, has fewer places to eat, and doesn't have an end of day show), do the things you are interested in (Dinosaur is fun, the safari is worth it, and Expedition Everest is probably the best thrill ride in any Disney park and should probably be Fast Passed). Walk around a few of the different "nature walks", which have fewer crowds because people would rather be entertained on rides than walk around on their own viewing animals. Then you can head over to Hollywood Studios, check out any of the rides you might be interested in, grab some dinner at one of the many themed restaurants, and then get in line for the last Fantasmic show of the night-which they recommend doing an hour before showtime (and its probably the best of the parks end of day shows).
    Last edited by NoDayButToday; April 11th, 2012 at 05:32 PM.

I completely agree NoDay---Epcot is what you make of it. I wasn't a fan the first time I went, but have made a point to go to it, several times since and really love it. I've made no secret that its my fav park. Course, I drank myself through it, so that could be why. AND I loved how in the different countries, the people that work there are authentically from that country. Oktoberfest at Germany ---nuff said.
    And Hollywood Studio's IS very poorly laid out. We got lost several times, and had a map. It's not a bad park, but just doesn't have that pizzazz that the other parks seem to have in my opinion. I don't think an entire day is needed there personally.
    Animal Kingdom is great, but is huge....well worth your time!

We were actually going to skip Epcot this time around. We've gone at least 5-6 times. It's fine for adults who want to eat (or drink!) their way around the park. Hell, that's the best part. For little kids though? Not so much. Their lines to meet the characters are really short though.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread Information