Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: What's your favorite Disney Resort hotel in FL?

Really? Interesting...BF and I were talking about "good" times to go since we have annual passes now and can pick and choose our days and figured Easter would be a really good day. Figured the majority of people would be doing family things and religious things, and it isn't our holiday so figured it would be good. Oh well, probably gonna skip that one then.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post

I never went to the park that opened an hour early, because that meant all the other parks were dead because everyone went to the one that opened early.

Grimm, be sure to look up the fast pass when you get there, so you don't have to wait in line. I'm sure they still have the fast pass.
    Magic Hours:
    ---------------
    If you are an early riser, and you want unfettered access to certain rides, then I highly recommend using the magic hours opportunity (the park that's open one hour early for on-property guests).

We took advantage of it for Magic Kingdom and the place was wide open. We were actually a little late - I'd say about 8:30 am. What was great was that the characters were already out and posing for photos with very little lines. Admittedly, this is probably only appealing if you have little kids (which we do).

At that time, you could jump on the Buzz Lightyear or Space Mountain rides with no line and then run around and get back on it again, with no line. The only problem was that you still have to negotiate those catacombs that take you from the entrance to the coaster cars.

Magic Hours is also good if you want to avoid the SHEER HELL of trying to get your little kids on Fantasy Land rides in the mid to late afternoon. It was just crazy by 3 pm. 80-minutes lines to get on the 3-minute Peter Pan ride. But in the morning, you could get on it endlessly with no wait. Admittedly, I don't see Grimmlok getting on the Peter Pan ride - unless he lost a bet or something.

Not all rides are open during magic hours, but they will tell you which ones are open and which ones aren't on the pamphlets they distribute at the entrance.

Fast Pass:
    ------------
    Using this is critical if waiting in long lines drives you crazy. Basically, the rule of thumb is to get a Fast Pass for a ride that you think you will want to ride (and an area that you will be in) in about 45 minutes. We were constantly getting fast passes and avoiding long lines. There is a deep feeling of satisfaction on walking past a bunch of people who are waiting in the regular line.

Disney now will not only give you a fast pass for a ride, but will tell you when you can use your entry card again to get another fast pass, which is often before your last pass is usable. As a result, you can start stacking up fast passes and use them one after another in a short period of time. Basically, the rule of thumb should be: always get a fast pass as soon as you are allowed to get another one.

Animal Kingdom:
    -------------------
    If you get to Animal Kingdom at regular opening hours (9 am, I think), the park will be wide open for you. Expedition Everest is a pretty good coaster ride and the only one in Animal Kingdom. Even if it's crowdede, you can avoid lines sometime by getting in the single-rider line. I did that last April, and rode the ride about 3 times in five minutes. I thought my guts were going to come out.

Also, if you are going to Animal Kingdom, do yourself a HUGE favor and go to Walgreen's and buy a $2 emergency parka and take it with you into the park. If you ride the Kali Rapids ride, there is a 50% chance that you will be soaked - like someone literally poured a bucket of water on you. I have seen riders who look like they fell into a swimming pool. If you wear a parka on the ride - and lots of people do - you will avoid having to go back to your hotel to change into dry clothes - while laughing at people who didn't protect themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I preferred the Wilderness Lodge. The furnishings were nicer, newer, and less "motel" like. There was something very clean about the decor - all rustic, polished wood. It's comfortable, but it still has an elegant feel, and nothing about it looked cheap or dirty to me. The pool area was also impeccably cleaned and managed, which is important to me. I dislike public pools, but I was able to actually enjoy swimming in this one. There were no kids in diapers in the pool, no splashing or shrieking. While children are welcome to swim, the lifeguards on duty always made sure that the pool experience was enjoyable for everyone - including adults.

The staff was also very accommodating. I stayed there in high school and started my period unexpectedly. In the middle of the night, I went to the gift shop in a panic trying to buy tampons. They were closed and the registers weren't turned on (apparently they lock them at night). The manager ended up just giving me the box of tampons. I went back the following morning and paid for them because I felt it was the right thing to do, but they hadn't taken my room number or anything. They just knew I needed them, and had no way to pay for them at that time, so they gave them to me, no questions asked. So, for that, they got major points.

AWesome! Thanks for the details. I need that!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    We're going later in march, i thought that would avoid the spring breakers.. or is spring break the entire month down in decadent america?

Spring Break lasts most of March. The best time in October. They have everything decked out for Halloween and there are no lines for anything. My kid got on and off of Pirates of the Caribbean about 10 times in a row and never had to wait a minute.

You all rock. Keep the advice coming.

If its a cold day, don't go to Animal Kingdom, go to any other park. Since it is basically a glorified zoo, if it is too cold out they won't put most of the animals in their exhibits. I went on a somewhat cold day the one time I went and remember being VERY bored because there was nothing to do aside from the few rides, one of which was knocked out (Kali Rapids) because no one wanted to be soaked and cold.

LOL! I'm hoping it's colder than the last time we went. We were there on Halloween and it was in the high 90s well into the night. My then 1 1/2 year old never got to wear his costume (not like he cared!) because it had long sleeves and pants.

No Day, I didn't realize you left Chicago. How long have you been down there?

I moved down here about 7 months ago. I started dating a guy about a year ago who had to move back to Florida to find work. He asked me to come with him and I took a huge risk and chose to do it. We live together and are doing fabulously, he's so great. Plus we are both working, which is better than when we lived up north. He had been laid off and was having trouble finding new work.

We actually live in Orlando, but not anywhere near the parks.

Glad to hear you've done well with the move. Here's hoping he finds work soon!

He found work about a month after he moved down here (which was a couple months before I did-I was waiting on a transfer at my job, which took about 4 months to come through). It's not necessarily what he wants to be doing, but it's a job...he enjoys it most of the time, but still wishes he was back in his field sometimes.

Have any of you stayed in one of the Universal Studios hotels? I think they have three - Loew's Portofino, Loew's Royal Pacific, and Hard Rock. We are going to Disney/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure this summer and I'm interested in checking one of these out.

I really love Caribean Beach. Stayed there about 25 years ago and then again about 3 years ago. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Loved the pool area and transportation. Also nice to have a dining option and little store right there.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Oh fun Bella!!!

I went last April--stayed in a Villa at The Beach Club (half of the Yacht & Beach Club). I really really liked the location of it---you are literally outside of Epcot. I have also stayed at Port Orleans and liked that also. I don't think you can go wrong with any Disney Resort honestly. Just depends on what you are looking for and your budget.

My best advice: Do not stay in a Villa. We thought we were getting much more than what we actually got by doing that. It was quite expensive vs regular room and like I said--you don't get shit for it. A small kitchenette and a bit more room, but not worth it in my opinion. Also: if you are not familiar with the Meal Plan (if you go that route), get familiar BEFORE you go. I figured it would be pretty easy to follow, but didn't realize that a soda was considered a 'snack' or other certain little things until several days into the trip. Best to maximize your plan--get more bang for your buck.

Have a fun planning! I'm sure you'll have a great time, anywhere you stay!

Edit: Bella, if you have a minute--check out page 5 of the thread that I started about my Disney planning/trip. I just reviewed it and its surprising the stuff I had already forgotten. Not that it would be super helpful for you, but I did get into more detail about the Resort and the pools, meal plan, etc.

5 days to go for me.. weather: 30C, and sunny. Just what I need.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    Oh fun Bella!!!

I went last April--stayed in a Villa at The Beach Club (half of the Yacht & Beach Club). I really really liked the location of it---you are literally outside of Epcot. I have also stayed at Port Orleans and liked that also. I don't think you can go wrong with any Disney Resort honestly. Just depends on what you are looking for and your budget.

My best advice: Do not stay in a Villa. We thought we were getting much more than what we actually got by doing that. It was quite expensive vs regular room and like I said--you don't get shit for it. A small kitchenette and a bit more room, but not worth it in my opinion. Also: if you are not familiar with the Meal Plan (if you go that route), get familiar BEFORE you go. I figured it would be pretty easy to follow, but didn't realize that a soda was considered a 'snack' or other certain little things until several days into the trip. Best to maximize your plan--get more bang for your buck.

Have a fun planning! I'm sure you'll have a great time, anywhere you stay!

Edit: Bella, if you have a minute--check out page 5 of the thread that I started about my Disney planning/trip. I just reviewed it and its surprising the stuff I had already forgotten. Not that it would be super helpful for you, but I did get into more detail about the Resort and the pools, meal plan, etc.
    Will do. You rock Lynnie. Thanks. I had forgotten about that thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    5 days to go for me.. weather: 30C, and sunny. Just what I need.
    Have fun.

Have fun Grimm!

BF and I will be wandering around Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios on the 18th for our anniversary. I would laugh if we ended up seeing you.

fgg

^you know what he looks like so keep an eye out.

grimm - you wear those goggles on a normal basis, right?
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information