Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: What's your favorite Disney Resort hotel in FL?

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday View Post
    Really good choices, Isn't the EPCOT/Hollywood Studios tiered fast pass thing atrocious? You always end up fast passing something that is usually walk on, and now that they are closing Maelstrom, it's even worse. The two "pick one" choices you did are probably the best ones offered, so awesome! Soarin is usually about a 70 minute wait, and Toy Story Mania still stands around 90 minutes without a FastPass!
    Ugh, those two were the worst. I had such a hard time finding rides in both parks to FP. The tiered system is stupid, everything would have been so much easier if we could have picked both Rock 'n Roller Coaster/TSMM and Test Track/Soarin'. We decided on Soarin' because I couldn't pick and made my husband watch videos of both(he didn't care what I fastpassed) and TSMM was a no-brainer imo and I also did a bit of research on the wait times

. I was looking forward to Maelstrom so I'm sad that it's closed while we are there, not sure how I feel about the rumors they are refurbing it into a Frozen ride.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    I'm going down to Orlando for a few days in about a month. Staying with a friend. I've got 1-2 days at Disney and a day at Harry Potter. After reading everything, it sounds incredibly intimidating. :0 There are too many things to decide on and I'm going to be poor for the rest of my life after Disney.
    I've been planning this thing since March, I can't imagine doing it in a month haha. It is intimidating, but there is a lot of incredibly helpful information to be found.

I would never be able to do it on my own...or afford it on my own. Friend works at Disney so I'm just relying on her to tell me what to do/what to see. She asked what I'm interested in or definitely want to see. I have no preferences or knowledge of what I should do. All I want to do for sure is see the fireworks and buy a souvenir cup.
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

We're going Friday. I did our fast passes 2 months ago and my brain hasn't thought about it since. So much work to do!

Quote Originally Posted by C_is_for_Cookie View Post
    Ugh, those two were the worst. I had such a hard time finding rides in both parks to FP. The tiered system is stupid, everything would have been so much easier if we could have picked both Rock 'n Roller Coaster/TSMM and Test Track/Soarin'. We decided on Soarin' because I couldn't pick and made my husband watch videos of both(he didn't care what I fastpassed) and TSMM was a no-brainer imo and I also did a bit of research on the wait times

. I was looking forward to Maelstrom so I'm sad that it's closed while we are there, not sure how I feel about the rumors they are refurbing it into a Frozen ride.
    They actually confirmed the Maelstrom switch on Friday on the parks blog. I believe the closing date is October 5, and then they will be redoing the entire thing for roughly a year? I'm really sad about it. I loved Maelstrom, I ride it every time I go to EPCOT, and I greatly dislike that they are putting a fictional country in the World Showcase-even if the movie was so "greatly influenced" by Norway. Last time we were there we did drinking around the world for a friends birthday (1 drink in every country, it's a lot of fun-but in 100 degrees? It's brutal!), and then got on Maelstrom with about 15 people on the same car-far beyond the capacity of the boat, but the ride operator waved us through and said it was fine. It was-except we were too heavy for the 2 directional loaders on the ride. Our boat broke the ride twice because it was too deep to get on the tracks that reposition the boat. The first time the techs came up to us (already very drunk, loud, and screaming sea shanties) and shoved the boat onto the loader. The 2nd time it was at the very end of the ride and we managed to shove our bodies forward at the same time until, little by little, we got onto the track. The ride operators just stood there laughing as much as we were. That might have been the last time I rode Maelstrom, and it really was the best memory.

Toy Story is definitely a no brainer there....the line for that is always HUGE. Rockin Roller Coaster is great, and it does usually have a long line-but it is also one of the only rides to have a single rider line. My husband and I never fast pass it because we just get in the single rider line together. We usually get on the same run, just not next to each other (and if it isn't the same one, one of us is on the ride directly before the other and just wait for the other to be done-we've even had other guests reshuffle their order so we can sit next to each other when we were wearing our "just engaged" buttons, which we didn't ask for, but people can be really nice!). Single rider usually takes maybe half the wait time? It's great. They don't offer that for Tower of Terror. And in all honesty, even with the super messed up fast pass system in that park, it is still my favorite park to visit. It seems like the cast are more of the typical Disney ideal, we have more "Disney Magic" moments in that park, and it is generally less packed than say, Magic Kingdom. They also have some of the best themed dining. I love both Sci Fi Drive In and Primetime Cafe, and they have Writers Stop. It's a small little book store over near Streets of America (SO easy to walk past it without noticing), but they have a little coffee shop section with amazing baked items. The carrot cake cookie is my favorite thing, it's basically a huge carrot cake whoopie pie with cream cheese frosting. It is so rich, but I always have to stop in and grab one on my way out of the park. I put it in the fridge and eat it cold over the next couple days. It's more than enough to split if the people you are with like carrot cake.

Test Track is OK...but Soarin is definitely a better use of the fast pass. Plus Test Track is another one with a single rider line. The only thing you'll miss is the designing of the car you will be "testing", but the line moves fast for single rider. I definitely don't think it's worth the 60 minute wait it usually has for regular standby. Soarin is a way more unique experience.

Has anyone done the Animation Academy at Hollywood Studios? I've been watching Joe and Ashley from Seeyareelsoon youtube fame, and they do this quite a lot. It looks like lots of fun, even if you don't think you can draw well.

Gold Member

I wanted to do the Harry Potter park so bad but my child was too young for it. I seriously debated leaving her and Mr. Deenz at MK and going it alone for a day..

That's one of my musts while I'm down there. I think I'm looking forward to that more than Disney. My mom wants to go so bad. The vacation packages are not bad at all. I told her that we'll go again, just the two of us, before we'll take any of my nieces and nephews. I would have totally left the family deenz. One of the days I'm down there, my friend has to go to work, so I'm seriously pondering going back to the HP park again all by myself since a two day ticket is barely more than a one day ticket.

Need some quick advice! For those of you who have been to Universal, which has the better Harry Potter park? I can't stomach the thought of $650 for a park hopper for all of us for the day so we have to pick one. Any suggestions?

This is probably too late....and I haven't been myself, but my local friends who have gone are completely in love with the new stuff at Diagon Alley. However, one of their favorite geeky things is King's Cross Station/Hogwarts Express, which to fully experience you do need the park hopper for.
    Bellatheball likes this.

Do both! Is there anyway to get the tickets discounted more? Any coupon codes or buying them at Wal-Mart down there? I've got three weeks from tomorrow until I go down there! Squeal!
    Bellatheball likes this.

We are headed there now. I think we are going to do the Diagon Alley side since we've seen the other side already. I just can't stomach almost $700 for a one day park hopper for all of us.

I don't think I like to sounds of Disney's new fastpass. 2 years ago, it was unlimited fastpass, you could only use one at a time. So once we used our fastpass for splash mountain, just signed up immediately for big Thunder mountain railroad, and wait it out for the next hour doing other things. You only get 2 pick 3 a day? that blows.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    I don't think I like to sounds of Disney's new fastpass. 2 years ago, it was unlimited fastpass, you could only use one at a time. So once we used our fastpass for splash mountain, just signed up immediately for big Thunder mountain railroad, and wait it out for the next hour doing other things. You only get 2 pick 3 a day? that blows.
    I was bummed about that, too, but remember that under the old system Disney could always "slow roll" you by issuing you a fast pass that was hours away. We would particularly see this, when we picked up a Fast Pass in the afternoon, when it seemed like the ground was peaking.

If I'm understanding things correctly, you can get more fastpasses once you used up the ones you already had. I'm not overly concerned because when we're going it shouldn't be too busy to do stand-by lines for the less popular rides and our daughter won't be tall enough for the Mountains so if we get to ride them, great, if not that's fine too(except for BTMR, I did get fast passes for it because it was my favorite ride at the Paris park).

I don't think we'll be doing rider swap because we are not convinced she's going to like being left behind when mommy or daddy is off riding a ride and she doesn't get to go. We'll try it once and if she doesn't like it, we'll go separate and find a play spot for her and the other parent to hang out while waiting.

That's correct with the fast pass. They added that once you use your 3 for the day, you can sign up for 1 more at a time. I THINK you can even do more at another park once you use up the original 3 in the same park, but I'm not positive on that one (never tried it).

Thread Information