Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: What's your favorite Disney Resort hotel in FL?

Have a magical time Mo.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

fgg

mo - did all four of you make it?
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Yes we did. It was a freaking miracle.

But here is the problem now. Our daughter wasn't feeling well this morning but stuck it out like a trouper. This afternoon at Magic Kingdom she threw up in one of the stores. At the 1st aid station they found she had a 102f tetemperature mars Mohandas is with her now at the Downtown Disney clinic seeing if we can get tamiflu and anti nausea medication.

Im with my son at chik-fil-a. We have 2 more days here. Yikes.

How is she doing, Mo?

Poor kiddo.

I hope she's on the mend as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
    How is she doing, Mo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    Poor kiddo.

I hope she's on the mend as soon as possible.
    Thanks. . She was. She had some kind of 24-hour stomach bug. She and Mrs Mohandas slept in yesterday while my son and I went to Magic Kingdom. They joined us at noon. She was completely better and in a great mood. It was amazing because when she was sick, her fever actually went up to 103F at one point. Nobody else in the family has caught this either.

i have some stuff to say later about the new expansion at magic kingdom, the new fast pass system, and the new smart bands that they have you use instead of park tickets.

Glad your girl made a quick recovery Mo.

I think you all need a vacation from this vacation.

Wow, Mo. I hope you guys had a great time after all the hiccups.

Hope your daughter is doing better.

Thanks, Kris. We had an awesome time. Some quick things I wanted to mention:

1. Magic Kingdom expansion - The expansion in the Magic Kingdom area is NOT complete. There are still one or two things under construction -- particularly, the new rollercoaster with a Snow White/Seven Dwarves theme. A bunch of stuff is complete, though.

2. Smart Wristbands -- Disney is trying to replace your smart tickets (those plastic cards), with a smart wrist band. This would let you into the park, let you into the hotel grounds (if you are staying at a Disney hotel), let you into your Disney hotel room, let you into the Disney parks, and also let you sign up for FastPass.

3. Smart Wristbands, part 2 -- they worked for everything except the parks. When we tried to use them to get in, they guy said, "These are not activated. You'll have to use your tickets instead. We didn't have "tickets". Somebody screwed up. So, we went to the Guest Relations booth about 50 feet away, and showed our confirmation numbers to the person there. He could not activate the band, but he did give us our old-style tickets. Which worked. We only lost 11 minutes of park time due to the snafu. As soon as you get your wrist bands, get with a Disney rep who is logged into the database to MAKE SURE that the bands are synchronized/confirmed for the park. You do not want to have a problem with them when the Guest Relations line is like 45 minutes long.

4. Fast Pass -- this has completely changed. You no longer run over and try to get a new fast pass after you just used the old one. Instead, you go to a Fast Pass + kiosk, and a Disney cast member signs you up for up to 3 Fast Passes that day. The upside is that you get 3 Fast Passes. The downside is that a) you have to be pretty organized and know what you want to do throughout the day, and b) you have to go early because there are a limited number of fast passes for each ride. The other upside is that if you don't use one of your fast passes, it doesn't count against you.

5. There are TWO Dumbo rides, now. And they are right next to each other. This has traditionally been one of the biggest pain-in-the-butt rides to get on, but not so much now. They also moved the Dumbo ride to a new section of the park - I think it was called Storybook-land, or something like that.

5. Splash Mountain is down for refurbishment. That was a bummer.

6. Animal Kingdom had no new rides (since 2012), no rides being repaired. However, Dinosaur broke just as we were using our Fast Passes to get on it. That sucked, but they gave us replacement passes and we went on Expedition Everest together. Unless I'm mistaken, the night-time ride has something that the daytime version doesn't have.

7. Wait times were not too bad. Most of them averaged 20-30 minutes at most when we were there. Including Buzz Lightyear, Space Mountain, Kali Rapids. Primeval Whirl at Animal Kingdom had a constant, and inexplicable 30-minute wait the whole day we were there. The worst wait times were for the Peter Pan ride in Magic Kingdom. Routinely 35-minute to 60-minute waits. It's a great ride, but VERY short.

I'll try to add some more photos and other information when I can.

Mo, the two Dumbo rides have been there awhile. I'm positive they were there when we went in 2012. I've heard the wrist bands are awesome (sorry you had a glitch!). Thanks for the update on the new Fast Pass. I couldn't figure out how it worked from reading their message boards. It's information overload over there. Did your kids sign up for the Darth Vader battle? It's all mine are talking about!

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post

2. Smart Wristbands -- Disney is trying to replace your smart tickets (those plastic cards), with a smart wrist band. This would let you into the park, let you into the hotel grounds (if you are staying at a Disney hotel), let you into your Disney hotel room, let you into the Disney parks, and also let you sign up for FastPass.

3. Smart Wristbands, part 2 -- they worked for everything except the parks. When we tried to use them to get in, they guy said, "These are not activated. You'll have to use your tickets instead. We didn't have "tickets". Somebody screwed up. So, we went to the Guest Relations booth about 50 feet away, and showed our confirmation numbers to the person there. He could not activate the band, but he did give us our old-style tickets. Which worked. We only lost 11 minutes of park time due to the snafu. As soon as you get your wrist bands, get with a Disney rep who is logged into the database to MAKE SURE that the bands are synchronized/confirmed for the park. You do not want to have a problem with them when the Guest Relations line is like 45 minutes long.

4. Fast Pass -- this has completely changed. You no longer run over and try to get a new fast pass after you just used the old one. Instead, you go to a Fast Pass + kiosk, and a Disney cast member signs you up for up to 3 Fast Passes that day. The upside is that you get 3 Fast Passes. The downside is that a) you have to be pretty organized and know what you want to do throughout the day, and b) you have to go early because there are a limited number of fast passes for each ride. The other upside is that if you don't use one of your fast passes, it doesn't count against you.
    i went in december and our bands worked for our animal kingdom hotel room and the fast pass but not as entry to disney. we still had to use the regular credit card type tickets. when it eventually works, it will be great. only up to 3 fast passes in a day sucks. we didn't realize that so you need to plan for which rides you really want so you can use them wisely. my favorite ride was buzz lightyear.

Glad your daughter started feeling better!
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I've used more than 3 fast passes in a day.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    i went in december and our bands worked for our animal kingdom hotel room and the fast pass but not as entry to disney. we still had to use the regular credit card type tickets. when it eventually works, it will be great. only up to 3 fast passes in a day sucks. we didn't realize that so you need to plan for which rides you really want so you can use them wisely. my favorite ride was buzz lightyear.

Glad your daughter started feeling better!
    Thanks, it was really stressful wondering if it was all going to happen, but it worked out GREAT. The lines at both Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom were moving very briskly, so not having fast passes in some instances wasn't a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    I've used more than 3 fast passes in a day.
    Me, too. But even under the old regime, it could be a double-edged sword. By that I mean that if you tried to get a fast pass at a popular ride with the old tickets, it might give you a super-late time that you could redeem the fast pass. And then you were locked into staying until like 8 pm, to use that Fast Pass, with no other Fast Pass to use in the meantime. Also, Disney cast members were given autonomy to oversee and redeem the fast passes. What was happening then, was that people were using fast passes that had expired up to an hour earlier, and still getting on the rides. In some cases, this caused the fast pass lane to be almost as bad as the standby lanes. Now, the system is completely automated (a machine scans your ticket or band and either clears or rejects you) and out of the cast member's hands,

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    Mo, the two Dumbo rides have been there awhile. I'm positive they were there when we went in 2012. I've heard the wrist bands are awesome (sorry you had a glitch!). Thanks for the update on the new Fast Pass. I couldn't figure out how it worked from reading their message boards. It's information overload over there. Did your kids sign up for the Darth Vader battle? It's all mine are talking about!
    We last went there in Feb of 2012. I looked it up (Fantasyland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and the area where the Dumbo rides are now at (Storybook Circus) were completed in October 2012. So, my guess is you went there after October?

In October actually! Funny, I didn't realize they were so new.

I went yesterday and it was the first time we used the new fast pass system-we don't have magic bands yet, those will be coming to the passholders in the next couple months. I think it's way better than the paper system. We went with a LARGE group (10 people). We didn't even head over to the fast pass kiosk until 6:30PM because we were all doing our own separate things. The park was packed because of spring break, and even with that large of a group we were able to get our 3 fast passes as a group for 3 rides we wanted to do (that had hour long waits all day), and the first slot was pretty much immediately after we did it. The castmember who set them up was considerate and found us slots next to each other for the 2 rides that were in close proximity to each other (Pirates and Jungle Cruise), and then we had an 11th person who joined us an hour later and we took him to a kiosk just to see if we could get him into the same slots as the rest of the group-and it was no problem at all. They were also really good at recommending rides that would need fast passes and ones that would be a waste of the fast pass, which was impressive to me because I figured they would let people use them for whatever to try and keep the fast pass lines short, if someone wasted one on Philharmagic, then it's their own problem.... Every fast pass line was nearly at walk on level. We waited less than 5 minutes, at the most.

My only real complaint is that there is no way to keep actual track of your fast pass times unless you have your tickets linked to the Disney app (which is iffy-the group "leader" didn't have linked tickets, but my annual pass is linked to my app, the castmember said that it'll still show up in my "stuff to do" section since the events were registered to my card, but they never did), write them down, or the park's staff suggestion of taking a picture with your phone. They have to figure out some way to track your times. With the old fast passes your time was on there and you had a physical reminder of what your time slot was.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information