Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: What's your favorite Disney Resort hotel in FL?

Bumping this because we are unexpectedly going to Disney again this fall. We got a 35% promo code (which I almost threw out!). My husband saw it and said, "Great, lets go again." He happened to say it in front of all of the kids who then proceeded to have a dance party so there's not going back. LOL

We are going to do things differently this time. We've done Animal Kingdom Resort twice and have stayed off site a few times. My kids are sports freaks (seriously, my son has worn a path in the carpet from playing catch with himself all.damn.day) so I'm considering All Star Sports. It sounds like it might be a tight fit for five of us though. They also love Lion King so we were thinking of doing one of their rooms at Art of Animation.

Does anyone have any experience with the value resorts? I'm going to clutch my pearls and pray I don't see any stains or pubes.

My friend lives in south Florida and they head up to Disney quite a bit. They stay at the value resorts since they go frequently and only stay a night or two. You get some of the Disney benefits without the high prices. They love it. I'm not sure which one, but I think it was the All Star Sports that they really liked.

We're going this year and meeting my family. There will be 6 adults and 3 kids, so we're renting a house about 7 miles away. It's really nice. Screened in pool, hot tub, bbq, granite kitchen, stainless appliances, pool table, laundry, games, etc. All the comforts of home. We'll be there for 7 days, so it'll be nice to be able to unwind with my family after the kids go to bed.

I agree with Kris. Are you set on staying on-site? We do Windsor Hills, Sunset Lakes or Oak Island Cove and take the dog. It's nice for everyone to be able to stretch out and have their own space. That being said, we have also stayed in an Art of Animation suite (Cars) and the Wilderness Lodge. No big complaints about the suite except for by the time you pay for a suite, you could easily rent two adjoining rooms at All-Star or a room at one of the lower end deluxes. We have been passholders for the past two years, but I think this past trip (Dec 11-20) is going to be our last for a long time. They have taken away the fastpass, which, as our kids get older and want to ride more rides and rides over and over again, does not go well with our style. With the kinds of thrill rides they like, we'll probably do better at six flags anyway

One of the absolute best planning websites I've seen with Disney is www.easywdw.com (I swear I'm not spamming this; this guy is really good) He does free crowd calendars and has an extremely snarky smartass sense of humor about the whole thing. He loves Disney, but he's not one of those annoying bloggers who act as if everything's perfect. He is very obviously not on their payroll, so you'll get the truth from him! Hope you guys have a wonderful time!
    KrisNine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    My friend lives in south Florida and they head up to Disney quite a bit. They stay at the value resorts since they go frequently and only stay a night or two. You get some of the Disney benefits without the high prices. They love it. I'm not sure which one, but I think it was the All Star Sports that they really liked.
    Ironically, we are going in about two weeks and are staying at All-Star Sports. We are basically park warriors, and only need the hotel room to crash and to keep our luggage. Of the All-Star resort hotels, Sports is the one that is the first one you pass when you pull into the complex from Buena Vista Drive. The kids already have Friday off, and Wed and Thu are half days, so we are pulling them from school (you get three days that aren't sick days). The only problem with these rooms is that they both fridges and microwaves are extra, if I remember correctly.
    KrisNine likes this.

Thanks for the link. I'm sure I'll spend more time than necessary on it tonight! LOL

Mo, could you let me know what your experience is like?

I'm glad to hear the All-Star sports resort is well liked. If we stay there, we would have to have two adjoining rooms. I'm not sure how well that will work. I guess our other option is to do Port Orleans Riverside. It looks like they have better pools than all Star sports. It's actually cheaper too.

Has anyone stayed there?

Bella,

I love the all-star places because of the proximity to the parks. This will be our third time at All-Star. We have previously been at Shades of Green (military) and Swan and Dolphin (convention oriented). All-Star resorts have very short shuttle rides to the parks all day. However, because parking passes are included with your stay at All-Star, we just hop in our car and drive over. Very, quick and convenient. The rooms are not large, but they are very clean. The All-Star resorts each have their own giant pool with an appropriate theme (music, sports, movies). They also have Disney staff conducting activities (in the pool area) like contests, dances, movie nights, and karaoke, to keep people busy. They also have giant eateries that seem to be open almost 24x7, and are within easy walking distance of your room. The pizza is actually pretty affordable -- but nothing else is, from what I remember. $17 endlessly refillable drink, anyone? Across from the eateries are arcades and gift shops. They have very knowledgeable concierge personnel who can get you reoriented if you are not sure the best way or time to get to a particular place.

Another bonus is that there is a McDonald's just as you turn out of the complex. While some people are not wild about McDonald's, it is BY FAR the cheapest meal you will ever get within the Disney property. I also like that you can drive straight out of the Disney property into the main drag of Orlando and pick up cheap food and supplies at places like Taco Bell, Walgreen's and various grocery stores.

MohandasKGanja likes this.

I stayed at one of the Port Orleans...the one that looks like a southern plantation. it was fine, but we didn't have kids back then.

I actually stay off site. I usually get a discounted week rate from a time share, $250 for the week, and then we stay in a 2 bed condo with kitchen and laundry. Can't beat it.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Stayed at All Star Music and loved it. Very clean, beautiful pools and food court area. I will say the room was pretty small but worked for my needs as it was just me, my ex and my daughter.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

None! Islands of Adventure wins! *moons thread and runs*
    Flygirl likes this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Bella,

I love the all-star places because of the proximity to the parks. This will be our third time at All-Star. We have previously been at Shades of Green (military) and Swan and Dolphin (convention oriented). All-Star resorts have very short shuttle rides to the parks all day. However, because parking passes are included with your stay at All-Star, we just hop in our car and drive over. Very, quick and convenient. The rooms are not large, but they are very clean. The All-Star resorts each have their own giant pool with an appropriate theme (music, sports, movies). They also have Disney staff conducting activities (in the pool area) like contests, dances, movie nights, and karaoke, to keep people busy. They also have giant eateries that seem to be open almost 24x7, and are within easy walking distance of your room. The pizza is actually pretty affordable -- but nothing else is, from what I remember. $17 endlessly refillable drink, anyone? Across from the eateries are arcades and gift shops. They have very knowledgeable concierge personnel who can get you reoriented if you are not sure the best way or time to get to a particular place.

Another bonus is that there is a McDonald's just as you turn out of the complex. While some people are not wild about McDonald's, it is BY FAR the cheapest meal you will ever get within the Disney property. I also like that you can drive straight out of the Disney property into the main drag of Orlando and pick up cheap food and supplies at places like Taco Bell, Walgreen's and various grocery stores.
    Thanks Mo. My kids are leaning this way too. The pools look pretty basic and we are planning one full day to let them relax and play. Is there enough to keep them entertained (given that there are no waterslides etc)? Believe it or not, I seem to have the only three kids in America who don't like McDonalds.

Quote Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
    I have spent hours on that site in the past today days! Great find. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    I stayed at one of the Port Orleans...the one that looks like a southern plantation. it was fine, but we didn't have kids back then.

I actually stay off site. I usually get a discounted week rate from a time share, $250 for the week, and then we stay in a 2 bed condo with kitchen and laundry. Can't beat it.
    Would you go there again with your boys now?

Quote Originally Posted by levitt View Post
    None! Islands of Adventure wins! *moons thread and runs*
    In a few years, that's probably where we'll be too. My kids are 8, 5, and 3 so there's not a ton for them to do at the Universal Parks. We did go last time and they loved the superheros though.

I haven't personally stayed at Port Orleans - Riverside, but I do know a family who stayed there recently with three young (elementary school aged) kids, and they were not crazy about it and said they probably wouldn't stay there again with kids. For adults, it was fine, but they felt it didn't really have as much to offer for the kids.

There is a pretty cool hotel across from The Swan and Dove that I think kids would like because of the giant water slide going into the pool. Disney employees watch it like a hawk so that interlopers don't try to use the slide. If I can find a picture from my archive I'll post it.

Stormalong Bay? (the pool shared by the Yacht and Beach Club)

Hit By Ban Bus!

I went to Disneyland when I was 9......never again. I have told my sons, that I will never take them to Disneyland/world...EVER in their lifetime.

First of all..I love the incidental Disney people. Dumbo was awesome, as was Goofy and Donald. To this day, The Fox and the Hound, Lady and the Tramp, and Bambi, are some of my favorite movies.

I don't want to label myself as a feminist, but goddamn, didn't they shit all over women. Anybody who knows how to google and read, knows that Snow White was raped, and only woke up, because she was giving birth to her rapist's child. Ariel pretty much committed suicide, and lets face it Cinderella was a pussy. Like none of us, wouldn't have whacked our evil stepmother with that damn fucking broom?

When I went to Disneyland, back in...let me count......1985, I was a thrill ride junkie. We were there from when the park opened, until the parked closed, and I rode FOUR rides, because the lines were that long. I will admit..Space Mountain was pretty fucking cool, but not cool enough, to in this day, wait in line for 3 hours.

My last point. There are a lot of cooler places to go, at the same price. For what it would cost the four of us to spend a week at Disney, it is about the same, to spend 10 days, in Hawaii.

If it makes me Un-American, I don't care...Fuck Disney...I'll be in Hawaii.
    Flygirl likes this.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information