Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: US gov issues "How to not behave like a typical american while travelling" pamphlet

Default Re: US gov issues "How to not behave like a typical american while travelling" pamphlet

wow. i'm shocked that anyone would expect automatic respect because they have a fistful of money and/or an american passport.

when we were in morocco, we quickly realized that prices went up exponentially for americans. we therefore professed to be brits. all in all, being in a muslim country was a lovely experience and very humbling for this Almighty Rich American. (har).

Default Re: US gov issues "How to not behave like a typical american while travelling" pamphlet

See, when i'm abroad i'll at least TRY to speak the language with a little book to help. It shows respect to the culture you're experiencing. You get a lot more friendly smiles if you give it a shot, even if you suck at it.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Yes, because every one that visits the US is the epitome of good manners. [/sarcasm]
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

I'm English, but I'm going to be spending 3months in the US from June till September, so I suppose I just need to reverse everything on the list in order to fit in there

You should hear me butchering parisian french. I can do a fair imitation of Quebecois slang, but that wont fly in frogland.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

... they don't have icecubes?

harr. most everyone in Morocco speaks french (in addtion to arabic, and usually english as well. talk about humbling...). Husband and i got by on rudimentary french. We embarrassingly found ourselves speaking english with a french accent TO EACH OTHER while alone in our hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    ... they don't have icecubes?
    generally, no. not unless you ask for them. drinks dont automatically come on ice in most countries. we're weird.

Weird. Is the drink at least cold to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    Weird. Is the drink at least cold to begin with?
    I think they drink everything warm and they freak out over iced tea.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

In the UK, iced tea is pretty rare - it's not really something we drink.

But yeh you drinks would come cold - stuff like coke, pepsi, sprite etc

You'd probably be offered ice-cubed, but actually most people seem not to like the because if you dont drink quick they dilute your drink, which sucks.

SVZ

i liked european coke better They use real sugar instead of high fructore corn syrup

Default Re: US gov issues "How to not behave like a typical american while travelling" pamphl

eugh, i hate coke, it makes my teeth sticky

I think it depends where you are. In the UK, its cold most of the time, so drinking iced drinks isn't really what we want.

Quote Originally Posted by Tati
    Not to mention:

"What time does the one o'clock gun go off?"

"Why did they build the ruins so close to the road?"

That reminds me of a time when I was visiting the Greek site of Delphi. We were a group of Europeans from different countries, and Americans. The Greek guide was explaining how this had been built in the 4th century, this in the 5th, etc. when suddenly an American guy who had been looking puzzled for quite some time asked: "Are you talking about centuries before or after Christ?". I thought the Greek guy was about to swallow his own tongue
    Nope.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information