Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Three minutes from their destination, AirBNB cancels booking coz Miss Suh is Asian

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    My last experience with air bnb was annoying and I almost refuse to use them anymore. It's not the service, per se, it was just my last experience. Two hosts who were not the easiest to deal with. One was so slow to respond and the other took our reservation, only to cancel it the next day for something better. They required a huge deposit on our cc, which they processed immediately, only to cancel us the next day because someone contacted them to rent the property for an entire month. Meanwhile, we were told that the refund to our cc would be process in 5 -7 days. Bullshit. We were so pissed.
    i'm the opposite, i almost only use airbnb, i find it so much better than hotels.
    you do have to do your research though and be really thorough. make sure you read the reviews, especially the negative ones, and look for things that people have complained about multiple times, that will give you a good indication of what you're dealing with. i try to stick with so-called 'super-hosts' as these people have been renting their places out for ages and have great reviews. i also avoid places that ask for huge deposits.

i was about to rent a place in mexico city and then saw that they were asking for a 1500 deposit. fuck that shit. went with another one that ended up being amazing and the host was super nice.
    funky_chicken and Beeyotch like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by dexter7 View Post
    I like everything about this post, except for the fact that you chose to describe the host as a redneck. I don't think a post about wanting equal treatment should use derogatory slang to describe another person.
    Quote Originally Posted by lindsaywhit View Post
    Redneck isn't considered derogatory by all... rednecks.
    Yeah, most rednecks are very proud to be called rednecks. In South Jersey, we have Pineys, which is an even bigger redneck (and has some black marks from eugenics studies they did about residents of the Pine Barrens ... they're supposed to be extremely stupid and inbred). I'm technically considered a Piney because of my place of birth and because I still reside here, but I hate the nastiness that comes with that label. Meanwhile, most of my extended family and friends are VERY proud to call themselves Pineys. They drive around with Piney Power bumper stickers and wear t-shirts that say Proud to be a Piney. It's kind of curious.
    lindsaywhit likes this.

I prefer AirBNB as well. As sput said, it's important to read the reviews first and also getting in contact with the hosts. I never had a bad experience with any AirBNB. With hotels, on the other hand...
    sputnik likes this.
    -

^^^^
    this.
    i mean, for what i'm willing to pay, i'm not going to get a great hotel. i'm cheap like that. i'd rather spend my money on great restaurants or doing some shopping in the place i'm visiting, than on a hotel.
    the last apartment i rented in mexico city for a week was in the heart of la roma norte, it was huuuuuuge and beautifully decorated, i mean it looked like it belonged in a design magazine. it was in a beautiful old house that had been gut renovated, it had a massive, modern kitchen, huge living room with netflix and cable, two bathrooms and two huge bedrooms. the master bedroom had a king size bed that i wanted to take home with me after my stay, it was that comfy. all the sheets were gorgeous cotton, plus down comforters and 100% linen duvet covers.
    we had a coffee maker and a stove top espresso maker, and the owner left us milk, coffee, yogurt, even muesli, plus essentials like butter and salt and all of that. which was great because some mornings we felt like going out and having breakfast, other mornings it was great to get up, make coffee and toast or eggs, and then we'd eat out most of the rest of the time.
    there were 5 of us. we were paying about 27$ a night, each. you just can't beat that.
    lindsaywhit and Waterslide like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I have to say, the majority of time we've used AirBNB, it was great. This last trip was pretty crappy. We ended up using another service and had a great experience. We like to use services like AirBNB as well because it's much nicer to have a place like a house or apartment, especially with a kid, than it is to be cooped up in a small hotel room. We had a great place in Santa Barbara this past Thanksgiving. We ordered an entire Thanksgiving meal and prepared everything in the gourmet kitchen. The kitchen was stocked with your run-of-the-mill spices, tea bags, sugar, etc. Plus, they put water in the fridge for us. There was wi-fi, apple tv, coffee maker, electric kettle. Awesome.
    funky_chicken likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dexter7 View Post
    I like everything about this post, except for the fact that you chose to describe the host as a redneck. I don't think a post about wanting equal treatment should use derogatory slang to describe another person.
    That was pretty much self-described. Waving his can of beer around, he said, "we're pretty redneck out here." So I do think he took pride in the term.
    Waterslide likes this.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

sput, I'm planning to go to Mexico City in December - I might get back on you on that AirBnB location you wrote about It sounds perfect!
    sputnik likes this.
    -

I know right, I might just go because I've never been to Mexico City. GR party in the DF, everyone!
    lindsaywhit and sputnik like this.

I'd be totally in. I plan to be there for NYE, so is there any better date to have a GR party?!
    sputnik and Beeyotch like this.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by funky_chicken View Post
    sput, I'm planning to go to Mexico City in December - I might get back on you on that AirBnB location you wrote about It sounds perfect!
    Sure, PM me your Airbnb username and I'll send you the link.

^ I just spent 5 minutes looking for my username, but I have no idea how to find that. It just shows my regular name on my profile?
    -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information