Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions wanted for family beach vacation

I agree with Caymens... fabulous, especially with kids. Belize would be great! I'd pass on the Keys, not impressed.
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Zee

We've done Grand Cayman and Bermuda. I'm not sure that I would do either again with kids. We are also high maintenance medically so that also limits our options.

Have had friends go to Costa Rica repeatedly with their families. The photos are gorgeous and everybody seems to enjoy

Good luck with planning
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Oh, wow! Your family takes awesome vacays, Lynnie!

I would love, love, love to go to Key West, so that would be my choice, but like someone else said, I'm not sure how kid friendly it is. Maybe save that one for a couples vacay.

I've done the Bahamas before, and it's beautiful. I didn't go with an eye towards the family stuff, so I'm not sure how family friendly it is, either. It is, however, gorgeous, imo.

My family did a lot of beach vacations when I was growing up, but we stuck mainly to the FL panhandle and Gulf coast. The most gorgeous sugar white sand beaches in the world, and very family friendly if you stay away from the traditional party areas like Panama City Beach. Going in February would be before the Spring Break rush, though.

Seaside, Florida. My favorite family vacation spot. Seaside, FL | More than a way of life, a way of living!

Galapagos Islands. They will never view the world the same way.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    We also went to St. John which is just fantastic. It's pricey (or can be) but damnit if it isn't heaven on earth. Lots of people get villas and rent a car. The island is tiny and is made up of two towns on each end of the island. It's incredibly lush and gorgeous. The beaches are amazing and the snorkeling is the best I've ever seen (not that I'm an expert). We stayed at Caneel Bay which was pricey but great for a first trip there. They have seven of the best beaches on the island and they are only used for CB customers (except for Honeymoon Beach which was my favorite). We're saving our pennies to go back. It's great for kids too.
    THe water is calm and CB has a TON of water sports/activities.
    We actually went to St John when I was a KID, so I'm talking the 70's--and CAMPED. Like in a tent. Rented a Jeep. It was really beautiful, but the image of all those lizards hanging on our tents every morning have kind of scarred me......from camping! But would love to go back and see it again. IN A HOTEL lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Jexxifer View Post
    Have you looked at Cayman Islands? There's a submarine and the turtle farm, and the beaches are nice.
    OMG I freaking LOVE turtles too. Good to know about that. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    I agree with Caymens... fabulous, especially with kids. Belize would be great! I'd pass on the Keys, not impressed.
    You have traveled quite a bit if I remember correctly--did you take your kids to Caymens?

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    We've done Grand Cayman and Bermuda. I'm not sure that I would do either again with kids. We are also high maintenance medically so that also limits our options.

Have had friends go to Costa Rica repeatedly with their families. The photos are gorgeous and everybody seems to enjoy

Good luck with planning
    My husband is dead set against Costa Rica for some reason---and I truly have no idea why. We have had several family members go there and like it...

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Galapagos Islands. They will never view the world the same way.
    Oh I'm sure--and I wouldn't view it the same either! Definitely on the bucket list, but a bit too far for a 5 day trip from Syracuse.

That's part of our issue: getting anywhere from here usually take a day, and then obviously a day to get back, so we are trying to keep it as close as we can. Certainly no direct flights to Nassau or any of the Islands....but there are to certain areas in Florida.

We are going away at the end of August for 10 days to Ocean City Maryland and Virginia Beach VA. Certainly not exotic, but will be nice to see the ocean and NOT be home.

Hoping that my husband will still want to do this Feb trip, because he is really hemming and hawing about it. Oh well.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Lynnie, Caneel Bay is gorgeous. There are still many lizards but we never saw one in our room. They're totally green there and there are no radios/phones/Tvs in the rooms. Next time we go (and we ARE going!) we're going to rent a villa.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information