Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: 'The South" thread

Quote Originally Posted by Laxmobster View Post
    The Civil War was possibly one of the most important wars in our history. Had the South won the US would be two separate countries. I'd say that's very important to a lot of Americans. Of course I am a history buff though so I love this stuff. I do agree with the Confederate flag part, the only time I want to see it is on this...

Yay for the Good Ole Boys!
    Point taken. Like I said I'm a foreigner and one that was raised in a country where our only fleeting moment of collective patriotism was winning a bloody yacht race.

That said, I've come across people who are just very proud that their great great great grandaddy or whomever was fighting for the South. Again, maybe I don't get it, but that's not something I would necessarily be proud of.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    Point taken. Like I said I'm a foreigner and one that was raised in a country where our only fleeting moment of collective patriotism was winning a bloody yacht race.

That said, I've come across people who are just very proud that their great great great grandaddy or whomever was fighting for the South. Again, maybe I don't get it, but that's not something I would necessarily be proud of.
    Understood, I for one did not agree with the South's position in the war anyways. They didn't want to pay tarrifs(taxes), they wanted to have slaves, and they wanted to be sectioned off from the rest of the country. I think in the end they knew the benefit of having a "whole" country and started listening to the politicians in Washington D.C.

And yacht racing??? Sounds fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Swear to God, my daddy had a charger like that right before I was born. He bought it from the dealership and it was painted just like the General Lee. I have old pictures at the house of him with it.
    I am not joking!
    That's awesome! My brothers and I used to jump in the windows of our parents Grand Marquis station wagon! Yeah we were that cool.
    Last edited by Tati; September 7th, 2007 at 01:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

^ I don't remember him having it but I have the pictures of him with it.

Me and my husband got drunk the other night and sang the song. lol

Just two good old boys, never meanin' no harm...
    Beats all you never saw, been in trouble with the law
    Since the day they was born.
    Straightenin' the curves, flattenin' the hills...
    Someday the mountain might get 'em but the law never will.
    Makin' their way, the only way they know how...
    That's just a little bit more than the law will allow.
    Just two good ol' boys, wouldn't change if they could,
    Fightin' the system like two modern-day Robin Hoods...

I really loved this show!!! Hated the remake with Chestica though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

I couldn't even bring myself to watch it. Loved the show as a kid though.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

I HATE the movie as well. ALL of the character sucked!

Quote Originally Posted by WitchHazelEyed View Post
    While I respect your opinion, I do fail to see why it is necessary to point out the bad. Really, you could say that about any place. Every place has bad things. I didn't think this post was started to bring up negative things, but positive things, I really do prefer to think positively, most of the time anyway. You say we are "glorifying" the South. We're just providing stories about the lives we live in the South. No one is pretending it's all good. We just don't feel it's necessary to point out 2 bad things for every good thing just because some people have certain opinions about where we live. I don't think any of us here are Rebel-flag flying, gun-toting, bible toting, racial epithet throwing Southerners (I know you don't think that), we're the polite and genteel kind that just want to share a few funny stories about life in the South. (Keep 'em coming McJag)
    I'm always interested to hear about the differences between life in the South and the North, because I really haven't been to the North.

I don't think you're closed-minded, Chilly. I really like you and love to read your posts, I just get a little sensitive about stuff like this because I actually get a lot of crap about being from Texas from people that are not from the south. As well, I think it's great that you did the foreign exchange thing (I've always wanted to do something like that myself) and I'm sorry you had such bad experiences while you were there.

I started this thread and in my opening first post I included:

Anti-/Pro South rants anyone?

Just being fair here. I really do like all of the 'stories' and the food stuff!(mmmm!!)

And notice how I just said "The South"..did not say 'rebels' or 'sesech' or anything so NOT STARTING A 'Yankee" THREAD! LOL!! ...but somehow "The North" just does not cut it the same way as a title, does it???
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

I'm from the south. Always hated it though b/c I've always been
    outed by everyone. I grew up in a town where "being from money" was very important. Needless to say, I wasn't. Not even close. My mother was a druggie whore and we all know how small southern towns talk. I'm not into church. I don't like southern food b/c the grease makes me sick. I'd rather have some sushi or fish tacos. The only reason why I haven't moved out of state is b/c it's pretty cheap here and I'm thrifty.

Oh, my Aunt says "Shit fire and save matches!" when she gets mad. But fire sounds like faaaaar.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Laxmobster View Post
    The Civil War was possibly one of the most important wars in our history. Had the South won the US would be two separate countries. I'd say that's very important to a lot of Americans. Of course I am a history buff though so I love this stuff. I do agree with the Confederate flag part, the only time I want to see it is on this...

Yay for the Good Ole Boys!
    Being two countries would have been the best case scenario. Its more likely the South would be speaking Spanish today and the North would be part of Canada. Both sides were pretty weak after the war and I'm sure the Europeans would have arrived here quickly to collect their reward for helping the South.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

Quote Originally Posted by litupgirl View Post
    I'm from the south. Always hated it though b/c I've always been
    outed by everyone. I grew up in a town where "being from money" was very important. Needless to say, I wasn't. Not even close. My mother was a druggie whore and we all know how small southern towns talk. I'm not into church. I don't like southern food b/c the grease makes me sick. I'd rather have some sushi or fish tacos. The only reason why I haven't moved out of state is b/c it's pretty cheap here and I'm thrifty.

Oh, my Aunt says "Shit fire and save matches!" when she gets mad. But fire sounds like faaaaar.
    Yeah, my mom's speech sucks too, tire is taaar, and wire is waaar, and it's not more expensive it's more expensivefer. lol. She just kinda makes shit up, of course most people around here do.

Well, I won't try to sugar coat a damned thing about this area. There are racists at every turn. I was raised by a racist stepfather, and one of the many things he did to hurt me was to not let my best friend come to the house. She was black. At that time, I honestly did not see that she was black. All I knew was she was my best friend. That was my first introduction into racism...it was always there, but I chose not to live that life. If you dare to be friend-and God forbid you date a black person, you have to deal with the looks and sneers that someone spoke about. You may even encounter a bold idiotic racist that will actually make a comment to your face.
    I believe very much in the Lord, but I will never (and never have) put anyone down because of their religious beliefs. IMO your religious feelings are your personal feelings...it is not my place to push mine on you.
    There are people here who think that gays are going to bust hell wide open. I could give 2 shits less who someone loves. If they are fortunate enough to find someone who loves them and treats them well, good for them. Just like love should see no color, love should see no gender.
    Even though there are so many stupid, idiotic racists, there are 10 times as many who think that way of thinking is a crock of shit. We are loving and accepting of anyone...I am ashamed any time I hear about someone visiting the south and having those experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetrebel View Post
    If you dare to be friend-and God forbid you date a black person, you have to deal with the looks and sneers that someone spoke about. You may even encounter a bold idiotic racist that will actually make a comment to your face.
    One of my friends is a black woman who married a white man from Mississippi. They literally cannot go back to his hometown because of what they would encounter b/c of the mixed race marriage. His family will come up here occasionally, but they have never been down to his hometown together because of the attitude there.

Gold Member

^ That's sad to think it's like that still in 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    Something as a foreigner I have found very odd is the almost obsession some Southerners have with the Civil War. The heritage pride stuff. The confederate flag waving and all that stuff. Seems it's a hurtful symbol to so many.
    STARS 'N BARS!!! WOOOOO!!!!!

No, I understand just what Chilly means. It's true. Some people are very backwards and insulated from the reality that it's a big world out there and people are different. They're threatened by what they don't understand, so they're ignorant and hateful. I've seen that plenty, esp. where racism is concerned but after living there so long I can also appreciate that there are plenty of people who aren't like that.

Nowadays I think I just miss the familiarity of it all, and I'll admit I'm selectively nostalgic. But I still love Sonny's bbq and love me some Skynnyrd.

I remember being at a fancy lawyers' dinner party with my friends in Atlanta and the doorbell rang just as we'd finished eating. The host got up and answered it. He came back a few moments later and his wife asked who it was. I'll never forget his response, I just about fell out of my chair in shock.

He said, "Oh, just a couple of jigaboos. I sent them packing." Nobody reacted except for me. Later my friends told me they didn't agree with what he said, but they didn't dispute it. I was, and am, horrified that anybody could act that way, especially well-educated and privileged people. But it takes all kinds.

Apparently they were teenagers raising money for some kind of school function.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread Information