Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 150

Thread: 'The South" thread

  1. #61
    Elite Member Chilly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Trolltopia
    Posts
    29,139

    Default

    As I said, it wasn't one small part. And I'm sure the experiences a foreigner makes differ from the experiences a native makes. And still many natives I met agreed with me on this issue. So it's not like I'm imagining this. To say that there is no prejudice in the South has to be denial to a certain degree. I'm happy for you that you made mostly positive experiences, but that doesn't go for others. The black kids in my highschools certainly wouldn't agree with you.

    That said, put the beer in the fridge, I'm on my way.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-



  2. #62
    Elite Member Sweetie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Den of the roving cunty bitches
    Posts
    24,533

    Default

    Oh I can understand completely what you're saying. The place I grew up, black people where not allowed to be there after dark, and they sure as hell wouldn't be there either. Before my time, if a black person was caught on the island they would kill them, of course in my day no one would, but it was still legend and still scared them. It's sad because growing up I saw one black person before I started school, at that was it, it just wasn't something I was around and it was because of the dumb ass redneck hillbilly's from my area.

    Of course now, I have PLENTY of black friends, mexican friends, all breeds of friends and I am proud to say I do. You still have the people that look at you when they see a white girl and a black guy together though. Two of my best girlfriends date black guys and they can't even go out to dinner in the area we live in because of all the snickering and talking when they walk in. It's really sad.

  3. #63
    Elite Member Chilly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Trolltopia
    Posts
    29,139

    Default

    ^^ Same here. I made friends with the black kids, because we had in common that we were discriminated and people openly told me I shouldn't.

    WTF?
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-



  4. #64
    Elite Member McJag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    42,527

    Default

    It ain't all like that! And you did live on the fringe of South-not deep South. If you mind is closed, then so be it-but you are missing a lot. Like Louisiana, faced with 2 candidates running for office against each other. One David Duke,former KKK head. and Edwin Edwards-corrupt as they come and facing Federal Indictment. Those were the choices! My sister and most of the stae promptly got bumper sticker saying "VOTE FOR THE CROOK". The crook won!
    Most of the people are religious-so am I. But like I have stated here-we got some of each in my family-they attend all "state" occasions in churches-baptisms,weddings,funerals-and sit right with the rest of us. They are there because they are Family-not Religious.They are polite & would never dream of standing during the Lords Prayer & shouting "This is hogwash" although it would become instant Legend if they did! This reminds me of another story:

    A good friend of mine was Mother of the Groom. She had been busy assisting the Bride dress,fending off hissy fits etc,and failed to notice her husband-who had selected his own tux with the State of Texas flag on the cumberbund-had been nipping the whole afternoon away. Well, he was already seated when she was escorted down the aisle. She took her seat just as he moaned"OOOOOH."She looked at him and recognised he was totally plowed. "OOOOHHH" The bride was now down the aisle and the minister was about to start the vows-she leaned over her drunken 2nd husband to her old cast-off 1st husband(father of the groom) and hissed "John-take him out to the limo".Although they had been divorced many years, he still knew better than disobey her! He led the tipsy state flag flying 2nd hubby up the side aisle. All eyes were focused on the couple at the altar. She thought this was going to pass unnoticed,but at the top of the aisle ol'Tipsy one groaned "GODDAM-OOOOOHHHH" very loudly. Everyone focused on the couple anyway. Years later she asked her son what was that wonderful quote they had used at the wedding & he said without a pause"You mean GODDAM?".
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

  5. #65
    Elite Member Chilly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Trolltopia
    Posts
    29,139

    Default

    As I stressed extensively in my many posts that you forgot to read or chose not to take into consideration my mind isn't "closed", quite the opposite. As I said, I think it's necesarry to point out the downsides of the South as well, instead of pretending all is good. That is a "closed" viewpoint, not mine.

    You don't have to give me examples of a different perspective. I was there, I experienced it myself. As I said.

    Here are some quotes from my posts that should show that I do differentiate indeed. How on earth is that not open-mided? You should have taken the time to read my posts before you judge me:

    1. I don't dislike Southerners or Americans in general. I have very dear American friends, I am able to differentiate. I met very friendly Southerners and benefitted from the legendary Southern hospitality. I like all the Southern girls on this board, their wit and sense of humor.

    2. I don't discriminate anyone ever. That includes my lovely Southern belles on this board.

    3. The family I lived with was very nice and loving, I'm still very grateful to them. I also made friends who were great and who I love to bits. But I also encountered a lot of discrimination and prejudice.

    4. since I lived there, I'm able to differentiate and I learned that most Americans that I like suffer from American conservatism just as much as I did.

    5. My personal Anti Americanism is solely based on my aversion against American politics, not American people.


    What else do you want me to say? It seems to me you chose to be offended no matter how I put it. I can't help you with that. Most people can deal with the fact that not everything in their home country is perfect, it's a fact of life. In fact that realization is necessary so that things can develop. To say that there is no racism in the South is not helping the cause.

    As before when you assumed that I had never been to the South:

    Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I hate to see you hate us without a real look-why not come on down before you make such a harsh judgement? You need to really see first hand-journalist especially need a balanced view.
    Well you're wrong about that. I'm not prejudiced, even if you want to believe that. I'm talking from experience.

    And as I've said before, many natives I've met agree with me on this issue, take Sweetie for instance.
    Last edited by Chilly Willy; September 7th, 2007 at 10:33 AM.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-



  6. #66
    Elite Member McJag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    42,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    As I posted extensively in my many posts that you forgot to read or chose not to take into consideration my mind isn't "closed", quite the opposite. As I said, I think it's necesarry to point out the downsides of the South as well, instead of pretending all is good. That is a "closed" viewpoint, not mine.
    I apologise, Dear Chilly! Certainly everything has a downside-do forgive me! My mistake! Friends??
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

  7. #67
    Elite Member Chilly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Trolltopia
    Posts
    29,139

    Default

    No, bitch, bend over!

    Hm, okay, maybe if you cook for me.

    Please, McJag, I respect your pride of your home and I understand it and I know that not everything is bad there. Maybe it's just important to my coming to terms with the trauma that I share this with the people from that area. I dunno. I certainly didn't want to offend anyone.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-



  8. #68
    Gold Member WitchHazelEyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Outside of Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    1,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    As I stressed extensively in my many posts that you forgot to read or chose not to take into consideration my mind isn't "closed", quite the opposite. As I said, I think it's necesarry to point out the downsides of the South as well, instead of pretending all is good. That is a "closed" viewpoint, not mine.
    While I respect your opinion, I do fail to see why it is necessary to point out the bad. Really, you could say that about any place. Every place has bad things. I didn't think this post was started to bring up negative things, but positive things, I really do prefer to think positively, most of the time anyway. You say we are "glorifying" the South. We're just providing stories about the lives we live in the South. No one is pretending it's all good. We just don't feel it's necessary to point out 2 bad things for every good thing just because some people have certain opinions about where we live. I don't think any of us here are Rebel-flag flying, gun-toting, bible toting, racial epithet throwing Southerners (I know you don't think that), we're the polite and genteel kind that just want to share a few funny stories about life in the South. (Keep 'em coming McJag)
    I'm always interested to hear about the differences between life in the South and the North, because I really haven't been to the North.

    I don't think you're closed-minded, Chilly. I really like you and love to read your posts, I just get a little sensitive about stuff like this because I actually get a lot of crap about being from Texas from people that are not from the south. As well, I think it's great that you did the foreign exchange thing (I've always wanted to do something like that myself) and I'm sorry you had such bad experiences while you were there.
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

  9. #69
    Gold Member WitchHazelEyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Outside of Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    1,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    No, bitch, bend over!

    Hm, okay, maybe if you cook for me.

    Please, McJag, I respect your pride of your home and I understand it and I know that not everything is bad there. Maybe it's just important to my coming to terms with the trauma that I share this with the people from that area. I dunno. I certainly didn't want to offend anyone.
    I'm telling ya, Next time you come to the South, all of us GR Southerners are just going to have to show you a great time and make up for those backward bastards that you encountered before!
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

  10. #70
    Elite Member Chilly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Trolltopia
    Posts
    29,139

    Default

    See and I'm providing my stories. It's just that people don't want to hear them.

    This thread is called "The South". I don't think about food when it comes to the South. What can I say?

    And as I've said before, I love my dirty Southern betches on here. And believe me, I'm the first one to angrily defend Americans or Southerners when anyone tries to criticize them who hasn't been there. Only I may do that!
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-



  11. #71
    Elite Member McJag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    42,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    No, bitch, bend over!

    Hm, okay, maybe if you cook for me.
    Chilly! I did not get the cooking gene-remember? Who set fire to her oven trying to make Yorkshire Pudding? Sadly, that reminds me of another story. Somebody shut me up.

    Last winter I was trying out a new cornbread mix. I really didn't realize how bad I was until this one cane out of the oven-my husband gasped, eyes wide and said" Sissy-look! This new mix is great! It didn't even BURN!"
    Poor dear. I have gotten used to smoke everywhere,fire detectors going off,dogs barking in alarm and neighbors saying"Oh-she's cooking again".

    I come from a long line of fabulous cooks. I am not among them, though I have high hopes. My family has always accepted this flaw and gone out of their way to make me feel better. I "help"of course. Mother always exclaims with great delight"Look how clear your tea is! I declare I do not know how you do it!". Once I overheard my sister telling our cousin about the yearly jelly making: Mother and I make the jelly & pour in the jars. And Sissy makes the prettiest labels!! No wonder I love these people!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

  12. #72
    Gold Member WitchHazelEyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Outside of Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    1,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    See and I'm providing my stories. It's just that people don't want to hear them.

    This thread is called "The South". I don't think about food when it comes to the South. What can I say?
    It's not that anybody doesn't want to hear them. I just personally don't like to dwell on the bad when there is still so much good in the world. I still acknowledge and respect your experiences in the South. I'm not trying to be rude at all or make you feel that we don't care about your opinion. Like I've said before, I feel sad that these are the experiences that you took away.
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

  13. #73
    Elite Member Chilly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Trolltopia
    Posts
    29,139

    Default

    I had good experiences, too!!! I was spoiled by my host family. They were very understanding and had a hard time with the backward people, too. They were from NY State originally and had their bad experiences, too. but I met lovely Southerners, too. I still have awesome Southern friends. All they ever did to me was spoil my accent. The many years it took me to get that twang out of my pronunciation!


    Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Chilly! I did not get the cooking gene-remember? Who set fire to her oven trying to make Yorkshire Pudding? Sadly, that reminds me of another story. Somebody shut me up.
    Hahaha.

    Damn, I don't have a cooking gene either. I have the setting things on fire gene, too. My mother says I burn water while trying to make it boil. Dang.

    We order delivery food! As long as we got drinks.

    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-



  14. #74
    Gold Member WitchHazelEyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Outside of Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    1,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post

    And as I've said before, I love my dirty Southern betches on here. And believe me, I'm the first one to angrily defend Americans or Southerners when anyone tries to criticize them who hasn't been there. Only I may do that!
    I appreciate it!
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

  15. #75
    Elite Member Sweetie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Den of the roving cunty bitches
    Posts
    24,533

    Default

    ^ You are tagged with the name "sissy" too, I see.
    That's what my family calls me too.
    I guess that's a southern thing as well.

    I got the cooking gene so I will cook for all of you!!!!!!!!
    I can whip up some mighty fine vittles, if I do say so myself. lol

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 24th, 2007, 06:35 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: August 24th, 2006, 11:17 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: August 23rd, 2006, 07:38 AM
  4. Replies: 24
    Last Post: November 10th, 2005, 06:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •