Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 'The South" thread

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Northern VA is different, sort of the way Fla. is, because so many people from all over the country (and world) live there, mostly to work. I noticed no one has mentioned West VA. Kentucky is def. Southern to me. AFAIC, anywhere that y'all is a normal part of the lexicon can call itself Southern and get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    Northern VA is different, sort of the way Fla. is, because so many people from all over the country (and world) live there, mostly to work. I noticed no one has mentioned West VA. Kentucky is def. Southern to me. AFAIC, anywhere that y'all is a normal part of the lexicon can call itself Southern and get away with it.
    We moved from California to Texas when I was 9 and "y'all" is like the only southern thing that I picked up. I hate sweet tea, I don't own a pickup, a gun or any type of livestock.....but "Y'all" just rolls off the tongue......
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

Ok Sojita, I don't know if this could have happened anywhere but the south either .... my dad's best friend went to get papers for his dog. It was the meanest Catahoula Cur you'd ever lay eyes on.. I was familiar with the dog and knew just what mean bitch she was. For some unknown reason, the only female name this guy could think of was mine - which is very unusual, if you ever hear someone say it, you know they are talking to you - and my name is the one he puts on this dog's license/registration, whatever. That was bad enough because we were over there quite frequently. Later on, for some reason this SOB, gave my dad that effing dog! I was about 15, I guess, so it was quite traumatic when my little brothers get on the bus a few months later proclaiming to the world that "Mel1973 ran off for 3 days and now she's pregnant". Small town - everybody heard about my "pregnancy".....

So, I guess you know you're from the south if you've had a dog named after you ...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

When growing up my neighbors both across the street and next door were from Kentucky originally(one was from Stone, Kentucky..really..the town was named 'Stone" and that is def. south to me. Across the street the kids were Carlos and Robert, but were called 'Buddy" and "Bob-Bob' clear up into adulthood. And my friend next door, Eddie, was always called by his mom, "Aidee" His mom made the hottest cabbage rolls and pickled peppers I have ever had-hottest food by far I have ever had-caused the tears to roll down your cheeks. And they did say 'y'all' as in(his mother speaking). " Y'all keeds ah nuthin but a bunch uh bastuhds-I wish I haid nevah had nuna yuns!' hehehe.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Texas is South-just not deep South. Acent a little different. My husband is a Texan to the quick-it is the most fun thing ever to hear him argue with the Onstar computer in the car! I am hopeless,my sister worse. You have to call out the numbers for it to dial:223-4444. He says tew tew thraree and the poor computer says "Pardon?"until he goes berserk and cusses it you: yew sumbitch!
    The most startling difference to me is the gravy-Deep South-brown.Texas white gravy. Stangely, it tasts the same!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Yay for brown gravy. White gravy just ain't right in my mind.

Although I do always see that white stuff on top of chicken fried steak or on top of biscuits (biscuits and gravy breakfasts) in north florida/southern Georgia. My husband loves that stuff, white, brown whatever, he don't discriminate when it comes to gravy.

Hate to break up the party but I associate the South with religious fanatics, homophobes, racists, and the NRA.

I don't want to talk about lynching and the KKK, because I never came across those, but I sure as hell was confronted with what I wrote above.

Sure, the food is nice and everyone is polite, but that shouldn't be reason enough to idolize the South.

Rip me apart.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Hate to break up the party but I associate the South with religious fanatics, homophobes, racists, and the NRA.

I don't want to talk about lynching and the KKK, because I never came across those, but I sure as hell was confronted with what I wrote above.

Sure, the food is nice and everyone is polite, but that shouldn't be reason enough to idolize the South.

Rip me apart.
    Child! We not gonna rip you apart ,Sugar! You are a sweet thing and quite right! We sure have our share of those idiots! But not nearly all ,by any means! We have no more than say-Canada! We have a whole lot more going for us than some jerk on Nightly News saying "It was an Alien-I seen it!" . We are also not idolizing it-most of us here just happen to be Southern. I would expect people in Kansas to be just as happy with their state. I hate to see you hate us without a real look-why not come on down before you make such a harsh judgement? You need to really see first hand-journalist especially need a balanced view. Mercy me! Here I thought I was one of your favorite people! Oh wait! You are one of mine,no matter your feelings! Love ya!!
    ps-i do hope you can overlook my pearl handled revolver. It was a gift from my husband-just to prove he would never get out of line,what with me armed and dangerous!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I'm not exactly known for making judgements about issues I don't know a thing about, am I?

I lived in the South for about a year and a half, VA and North Carolina and I was very unhappy there. People constantly harrassed me for being an atheist and a liberal, not vice versa. I witnessed teachers at my school making homophobic remarks, racist jokes were very common among my peers, even the intellectual ones. That was in the 90's.

We've had this discussion on the board many times before. I don't dislike Southerners or Americans in general. I have very dear American friends, I am able to differentiate. I met very friendly Southerners and benefitted from the legendary Southern hospitality. I like all the Southern girls on this board, their wit and sense of humor. And yes, the food was amazing.

It's more like Southerners had a problem with me. I'm a pacifist, I hate guns, I am against capital punishment, I hate racism or discrimination of any nature, I am the furthest thing from a Republican you could possibly imagine. And despite keeping that to myself, people would not leave me alone. What's your name, what church to you go to?

I don't discriminate anyone ever. That includes my lovely Southern belles on this board.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

How everyone pulls over for a funeral procession. I forgot about this one until yesterday. I knew the people in that car were from further south because they pulled over. I think that is so sweet and respectful for the deceased.

I'm not exactly known for making judgements about issues I don't know a thing about, am I?

I lived in the South for about a year and a half, VA and North Carolina and I was very unhappy there. People constantly harrassed me for being an atheist and a liberal, not vice versa. I witnessed teachers at my school making homophobic remarks, racist jokes were very common among my peers, even the intellectual ones. That was in the 90's.

We've had this discussion on the board many times before. I don't dislike Southerners or Americans in general. I have very dear American friends, I am able to differentiate. I met very friendly Southerners and benefitted from the legendary Southern hospitality. I like all the Southern girls on this board, their wit and sense of humor. And yes, the food was amazing.

It's more like Southerners had a problem with me. I'm a pacifist, I hate guns, I am against capital punishment, I hate racism or discrimination of any nature, I am the furthest thing from a Republican you could possibly imagine. And despite keeping that to myself, people would not leave me alone. What's your name, what church to you go to?

I don't discriminate anyone ever. That includes my lovely Southern belles on this board.
    Chilly, the sad thing is, that stuff does happen here all the time. There are still a lot of backwoods folks that can't get past their set in ways. I think it's normally the older people though. The people around my age (30) and younger are well past that and you see less and less of it as the years go by. It is sad that people are still like that but old people are hard to change. North Carolina is a shitty state to me, too many of the people that you spoke of for me. I do love the southern parts as far as men being gentlemen, most of the time people are always nice to each other, there is always thank you and have a nice day and just the childhood memories of feeling safe anywhere in the area that I went. I understand completely where you are coming from though and just because I am from North Carolina I am NOTHING like the people you ran across while living here.

Oh, where did you live in NC? Are you originally from the states or Germany? Sorry, don't mean to be nosey.

I'm German, went to the US as an exchange student, prolonged my stay to travel. I lived in a military family, my host dad was stationed at Cherry Point and Quantico, as well as DC. We lived in Morehead City, NC and near Manassas, VA. I went to school there.

The family I lived with was very nice and loving, I'm still very grateful to them. I also made friends who were great and who I love to bits. But I also encountered a lot of discrimination and prejudice. I had been to other countries before and knew what it is like to be a foreigner and I still wasn't prepared for any of that.

The attitudes don't only depend on latitudes, as Jimmy Buffet says , but also on it being a rural or urban area. But coming from a very liberal culture I was shocked by some of the experiences I made in the Southern US.

Despite that my attitude towards Americans is not negative as it seems to be fashionable among Europeans sometimes. Quite the opposite actually, since I lived there, I'm able to differentiate and I learned that most Americans that I like suffer from American conservatism just as much as I did.

Take this board for example. Most posters here are Americans, I wouldn't be on here if I didn't like them. I'm sure there are more conservative boards out there, I wouldn't even visit them. But the Americans on here are well educated, mostly liberal, fun, caring, just good people in general.

My personal Anti Americanism is solely based on my aversion against American politics, not American people.

Still you won't here me singing any praise hymns on the South any time soon.
    -Bugdoll-

Something as a foreigner I have found very odd is the almost obsession some Southerners have with the Civil War. The heritage pride stuff. The confederate flag waving and all that stuff. Seems it's a hurtful symbol to so many.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

The confederate flag waving and all that stuff. Seems it's a hurtful symbol to so many.
    Well, to a lot of Southerners, the confederate flag is no different than the little Puerto Rican or Mexican flags you see hanging on some peoples' rear view mirrors. It's a 'this is my hometown/where I come from' sort of thing and not a political commentary.

I've lived in Texas 13 years.
    I'm agnostic, I've got friends that are Muslim, Christian, Atheist, Agnostic, Jewish, etc. I've got friends that are Gay, Straight and Bisexual. I've never experienced or known anyone that has experienced hardcore discrimination. Sure you get your few people that will ask you about your religion or assume you're Christian, you might even get a few that act a bit rude if you tell them you're not Christian. But it's not any more than you would find anywhere else mostly you can ignore those ones. Most people I've met here are charming, wonderful people that only treat others with respect.
    You had some bad experiences and I'm just sorry for that. But I'm not sure you should judge a huge region based on your unfortunate experiences in one small part of it.

That said, I think you need to come down to my town because it's like a little liberal paradise in the middle of North Texas!
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information