Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question for those who do not live in the US

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    I've lived around Europe quite a bit and can say that although there is interest in celebs it's not like in the States. And paps aren't anything like in the states.
    That's interesting, I thought England was the worst for that. I'm glad to hear it though.

The Britney thing at the moment is too crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by t13nif View Post
    What pisses me off are websites that won't let non-US people watch streaming episodes of shows. We get the same shows, aired at the same time (sometimes even before the US ) but if i miss an episode and i go to the website, it won't let me view the episode. Grrrrrrr.
    It goes both ways. I really want to check out Project Runway Canada but cannot view the available streaming episodes because I don't live in Canada. I may have no other choice but to purchase the DVDs through Amazon.ca when available.

I've also had this issue with some video I tried to view on CTV's website as well.

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Yeah--i have heard that. But do you get to watch it on your tv stations? That's what makes it so frustrating--these are shows that are broadcast in Canada but they can't let us watch on the web for 'legal reasons'? Grrrrrrr.
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

That's interesting, I thought England was the worst for that. I'm glad to hear it though.
    I was thinking more of mainland Europe. England is bad as far as papping people coming out of clubs or outside thier house if they've just been caught having sex with the neighbours dog but it still doesn't seem to have reached the level of the states.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by t13nif View Post
    Yeah--i have heard that. But do you get to watch it on your tv stations? That's what makes it so frustrating--these are shows that are broadcast in Canada but they can't let us watch on the web for 'legal reasons'? Grrrrrrr.
    No. My point is that these shows/videos are not televised in the U.S. or available online unless you live in Canada or if they maybe show up on You Tube.

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    No. My point is that these shows/videos are not televised in the U.S. or available online unless you live in Canada or if they maybe show up on You Tube.

I see your frustration. For me, it's the idiocy of being able to view the programs on tv in Canada but not being able to view them online because of 'legal' reasons. It's all retarded in my opinion. The internet is supposed to have no boundaries.
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

bea

I’m from Finland, which is sometimes called the most American country after the US. (Okay, I don't know exactly WHO says that, but that's what I've heard...)

Most of the TV shows are American, or at least the popular ones are. Friends and the Simpsons are everywhere, I don't really know why are they showing them again and again. We get the "big shows" like Lost, Heroes and Grey's Anatomy about a year late and many people download those from internet (illegally if there isn't a legal way). We have also a lot of American reality shows - original ones or Finnish versions. For example, American Idol and the Finnish version Idols have been huge here and now we got our own version of The Bachelor (he is btw very ugly ). I think that the American versions are more entertaining - Finnish people are very shy and stiff in front of the camera. No big drama and even the craziest Idol-competitors are kind of lame.

Of course there are some TV shows originally made in Finland but I don't really watch them. One stupid soap opera, some game shows and boring documents. News are pretty good, I suppose. I would like to watch some good Finnish TV shows but maybe I'm just so used to see the American ones that I can't enjoy the Finnish awkward and low-budget style. At least we have subtitles on every foreign show, that has made our English skills so much better. I wish we would have TV shows from other countries, too. My German would need some practise, but all we get in German is some silly soap opera and I'm not very into it.

When it comes to music, we aren't that much all-American. Finland has lots of great bands (most of them are unfortunately heavy metal, which I happen to dislike…) and we listen to music from other European countries, too. Most of the Finnish bands sing in English, which is kind of a pity, because Finnish is a beautiful language. Of course American music is popular also. My favourite radio station seems to be obsessed with that Apologize –song from One Republic. I would be very happy not to hear it anymore. Ever.

Finland is a small country, we have only 5 million people so we haven’t got that much celebrities eather. We don’t even have royalties, which makes us envy our neighbor Sweden. Some singers and politicians get to the tabloids – and of course the pride of the country: Formula 1 drivers. (sigh) But they aren’t not even close to something like Britney. So yeah, she and her mess are well known here.

Default Global Village?

Very interesting topic thread. Who here thinks that pop culture is developing a noticeably more 'global' quality?? For instance most Americans know about Pete Doherty, even if they wish they didn't. Also Aishwarya Rai can land major endorsement deals in the US, even though she has yet to have a major 'breakthrough' film in America.

Funny and true. I'm amazed at how the French magazine that I (try to) read have so much American pop culture pictures and articles. Lots of Britney, Lohan, etc. I'd never know who Katie Jordan was if it weren't for GR.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information