Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for those who do not live in the US

Germans are OBSESSED with dubbing. They dub everything, literally everything. It's ridiculous and I agree with sputnik, it should be outlawed. What's the point in dubbing the Borat movie, for instance?

Im envious of people from smaller European countries (Sweden, Netherlands, Denmark, etc), where everything just comes with subtitles. These people speak spectacular English by the time they're in first grade.

I download what i want to watch, or rather, have others download it for me.

German tv is crappy, except for news, which are excellent.

Music wise my taste is a well balanced mixture. I like French and Norwegian hiphop, American and English pop and alternative, African folklore. During the past years I developed a preference for German music, too. That was unheard of five to ten years ago. German music was considered uncool here, but it has really developed.

And yes, unfortunately, Paris is a major topic here, too. Jessica Simpson not so much, but Britney obviously. Lately, the mags started mentioning Lindsay, too, even though she's practically unknown here. But her life makes for such great entertainment.
    Last edited by Chilly Willy; July 19th, 2007 at 05:07 AM.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Everyday everything. Even commecials.
    Some native crap get banned after one or two episodes basically.

A*O

I have to agree with sputnik about French TV. It's BAD. The upside is that people aren't glued to it 24/7 which gives them time to, shock, exercise, go out with friends and family, attend cultural events, concerts, etc etc.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

How does one download a tv show?

I watch a public tv channel that has RAI, Le Journal and Polish news with subtitles. At least it's the real thing and not filtered through CNN.

A*O

^^^ go to their website? Most news channel websites have downloadable items although maybe not the whole show. Check if they stream the show or do some kind of podcast.

OT - that pic of David Cassidy is making me very nostalgic Chalet - he was the teen dream when I was at school along with Donny Osmond and the Bay City Rollers. Yes, I am THAT old bitches.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

... who??
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Grimm, surely you jest.

In the early 70's, David Cassidy and Marc Bolan (of T Rex) experienced full on teen hysteria that hadn't been seen since The Beatles. Whoever get the teen girls going these days, it will never compare to the craziness that they endured.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    french television is the worst on the planet. well, i might be exaggerating but it really sucks. american shows are late and dubbed into french - i think dubbing should be outlawed and people should just suck it up and read the subtitles.
    anyhoo, since moving back to switzerland, i just download the shows i want to watch and only watch tv for news, french films and watching dvds. swiss tv is marginally better - there's an audio function that lets you watch shows in either original or dubbed versions but still, they are shown much later and also the choice is quite limited and they rarely pick shows i like.
    OMG, hallelujah and WERD. The horrendous dubbing was the first thing I noticed about Spanish TV. I'm convinced they use the same three people for ALL the shows and movies ever. And they can't act, either. Just painful to listen to, none of the characters really come through and a lot of the meaning and subtleties are just lost.

I just had basic cable, but they had a lot of American TV shows, just aired half a season or sometimes a whole season behind. More popular ones like House, Medium, Grey's Anatomy were only several episodes behind... And there were strange throwbacks from like 20 years ago. I used to fall asleep to the first few seasons of 7th Heaven, Full House and Perfect Strangers! Perfect freakin' Strangers!!! I'd forgotten all about Cousin Larry and Balki's Dance of Joy until then.

When we moved apartments after 6 months, we decided getting TV just wasn't a priority and we weren't missing much. And I do love TV.

As for gossip, they do keep up with the bigger tabloid targets Paris, Britney, Lilo will all get a blurb regularly. But not nearly as much or as in-depth as the U.S. rags. The Spanish tabloids are really into their royals and their own celebrities, as well as other hispanic, or Latin-american, celebrities.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Do you listen to music from countries all over the world?
    Absolutely. As a matter of fact, none of my favorite are North American. I love some Irish bands and a few Australian artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    I also wonder about the papparazi. Does the world care about Britney and all the Jessica's? Are they that famous? Are there extremely famous actors/celebrities in your country who can't walk down the street, but we don't see their photos that often?
    Here in Canada, we could really care less about celebrity. A celebrity might catch our eye walking down the street, but that's about it. It's that indifference, I think, that makes celebrities gravitate here and plant roots without people even being aware. We've had a lot of talent come from this country - Bryan Adams, Celine Dion, Neil Young, Michael Buble, Shania Twain, Alanis Morrisette, Mike Myers, John Candy, Jim Carrey and so on and so on - but because of the American exposure they receive, few realize it. There's one lead singer of an internationally successful band who returns regularly from another continent to property he purchased in his small hometown here in an effort to keep grounded.

Many consider Canada dull...from our politics to our attitudes to our lifestyle...but that's not necessarily true. We're simply reserved and humble. We don't feel the need to push ourselves on you. We're confident you'll discover for yourself what makes our country so wonderful once here.
    Last edited by Elisa; February 2nd, 2008 at 11:15 AM.

lots of celebs and famous rich people live in switzerland and they do not only because it's a banking and tax haven but because people are notoriously private. you see lots of nobility and sports stars and french stars walking around in geneva and no one bothers them. when i lived here with my parents, phil collins moved into our village and except for a few village kids knocking on his door as a prank (he'd take it well and invite them in for snacks) no one treated him any differently and he'd go about his business just like anyone else. it was kind of funny running into him buying bread on weekend mornings.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

What pisses me off are websites that won't let non-US people watch streaming episodes of shows. We get the same shows, aired at the same time (sometimes even before the US ) but if i miss an episode and i go to the website, it won't let me view the episode. Grrrrrrr.
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

^^^
    does anyone know if an IP anonymiser would give you access to those sites if you're outside the US?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Well i just downloaded an IP anonymizer and it doesn't work to get access to the online episodes on these sites.
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

We have the basic programming here in Egypt called NileSat. There is only four channels on Nile Sat which are all in English, MBC2 (which is all movies all the time, but they show pretty good stuff), MBCAction, MBC4 (which is primarily all Rachael Ray, Oprah, and Dr. Phil, which sucks) and Dubai One, which is pretty cool, it brings a wide variety of syndicated programs that I like. But we also subscribe to Showtime Arabia, which is popular among the expats here. Its all in English, and they bring the good programs like 24, Lost, Greys, stuff like that. Kind of sucks at the moment because its going through some changes. But they have five channels dedicated to movies (like Showtime or HBO back home), a bunch of channels for TV shows (both from England and the US) and the Food Network and E! And MTV and The Style Network, and all the BBC programs. So we're not lacking for any programming here. I also like to watch the arabic programming sometimes - not the TV shows, they are absolutely awful awful awful, but the style shows out of Dubai and Mazzika and Melody Arabia (the MTV equivalent here in the Middle East). I also like to watch Star Academy, which is the Middle Eastern equivalent to American Idol, but the contestants all live together and its filmed 24/7, they have a channel dedicated completely towards watching them as they are around the house.

As far as celebrities go, I'm sure that it depends on what areas you live in. The arabic celebrities are huge here in any area, like Haifa. People here know the A listers back home as well, but they aren't really into celebrity gossip, as in tabloid stuff. A handful of my girlfriends catch up on the stuff on E! and on the internet, but thats about it. They aren't really into the scandals or fun stuff! Except for the Britney thing and celebrity babies, those things are pretty big here. European celebrities that we never hear about in the US, like Kylie Minogue and Robbie Williams, are also popular here, theres more of a European influence here than American for the most part.

The only thing that kind of sucks here is the movie theatres bring movies kind of late unless its a big anticipated blockbuster, and then they open on time. Like, for example, I Am Legend opened here the same time as there, but smaller movies may open here a month or two after the fact. Sucks when you really want to see something. But the theatres here are nice, at least, especially at City Stars, they show a majority of English films and not Arabic. The younger generations here almost always only watch English movies and television, not the Arabic, but you see a lot of older people going into the Arabic films.

As for the music, its much more culturally diverse here and people listen to much more music thats way outside the mainstream American pop/rock. Its awesome really, and I've been exposed to much more since I've been here.

And as far as celebrities go, there is a woman called Haifa Wehbe here, she is hugely popular. People have probably never heard of her back home, but she's a Lebanese singer here (I use the term "singer" loosely) who is considered the Supermodel of the Middle East. She's huge. Also a woman named Nancy Ajram is huge here, endorses Pepsi and various products. She's a singer as well. Most singers are more well known here than arabic actors/actresses.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I've lived around Europe quite a bit and can say that although there is interest in celebs it's not like in the States. And paps aren't anything like in the states. As far as TV, music, etc. alot of tv makes it's way over on both cable, sat and regular state tv (a big bone of contention in some countries), same with movies and music (although with music not so much rock). Also, everything comes here a bit later, meaning we've just started season 9 of America's Next Top Model and Sweden starts it next week. So yeah, Europe has a clue about the states but the states needs to get more of a clue about the rest of the world.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information