Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for all our world travelers...where would you go?

I got it:

Dubrovnik, Croatia!!

...before it gets too commercial and prices skyrocket!!

It dates back to the 7th century (so you can count on the old town have beautiful fortresses and cobbe-stone streets) and located on the Adriatic Sea (so you do get your beach (which I've been on), yet you might have to sacrific the coconuts (although somehow I do remember palm tress there).

I've been to over 55 countries, yet somehow Dubrovnik still stands out in my mind.

PM me if you'd like further info.

ETA: However if your energy's low and you want to do the beach thing drinking out of a coconut and sightsee a little, might I suggest a one-week all-inclusive in Cancun (sightsee the Mayan ruins). There you can also swim with the dolphins if that interests you. I see you're in the US so the flight's not too far for you as well.
    Go Habs Go!!

Why doesn't my ESP ever work for things like lottery tickets?

The Portugese that I have dealt with loved Americans. They think that we all live in Hollywood and anyone can pull to the curb in NYC and find a parking space (movies....). But they are the most friendly people that I have met in my travels.

If I might make a suggestion, I have a whole shelf of Rick Steves' Phrase Books from various countries (I don't know if you've seen his tv travel programs?). The best practical travel books I use. They actually give you phrases that you need.....although his sense of humor comes through.... He has a page for profanities and a page for women that translates some of the following phrases:

Leave me alone.
    I want to be alone.
    I'm not interested.
    I'm married.
    I'm a lesbian.
    I have a contagious disease.
    Don't touch me.
    You're disgusting.
    Stop following me.
    This man is bothering me.
    Enough!
    Get lost.
    Go to Hell.
    I'll call the police.

Practical, but still funny as hell....well, you know.....yes, I am a bad boy.... but perfectly harmless .....and might I also add that your husband is a lucky man....I will continue to hope that his "luck" holds and you two travel world-wide in the next 50 years of your lives together.....

Hit By Ban Bus!

Dubrovnik! Now there's a suggestion. Very cool. Sounds like it may go the way of Bodrum and Antalya (Turkey). They used to be well-kept little secrets. Now it's a lot more busy there, but no so much that it drives you crazy.

mtlebay, thanks! See, now that's a place I'd never have thought of on my own! I'm off to google it.

Cynic, thanks for the suggestion on the books. Hilarious! Thanks for the compliment. I have no idea what sparked it but I'll take it as a high compliment coming from you.

Pinkbunny, Madeira Island stood out to me too. How was it?

Sunshine, have you been to all of those places? How was the safari? I don't know if I'll have that kind of energy but it's always sounded like a really cool thing to do.

Chilly, I was always under the impression that Sri Lanka wasn't a terribly safe place to be. I'm no expert in world affairs so I'm probably wrong. Did you have any troubles there? I have to admit I've wanted to go there since seeing Duran Duran's Rio video.

Pinklily, that's on my list too but, with the time differences and travel, it doesn't seem practical for a week or so trip. It looks like an amazingly beautiful place though.

Effie, thanks! And welcome!

Thank you for welcoming me,so nice!
    For the weather,the history,the food,the ilands,the people and the cost,i would say,go Greece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But i will wish you all the best with your health first.God or whatever,be with you.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    mtlebay, thanks! See, now that's a place I'd never have thought of on my own! I'm off to google it.

Cynic, thanks for the suggestion on the books. Hilarious! Thanks for the compliment. I have no idea what sparked it but I'll take it as a high compliment coming from you.

I love to flirt with safe, happily married women.....keeps my hand in while keeping myself out of trouble....

I think Effie2 just called me a "whatever"......

So, you really ARE James Bond.

Effie, thanks!

Like one of the good looking ones ........
    but my gun is bigger.....

I demand you post a photo of yourself in a blue mankini so we can all decide for ourselves!

What?!?!? That is NOT me in your avatar? Incredible likeness.....

SO,now i know "whatever" exists,is a male,is called cynic,and has a beatiful set of teeth??
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mtlebay View Post
    I got it:

Dubrovnik, Croatia!!

...before it gets too commercial and prices skyrocket!!

It dates back to the 7th century (so you can count on the old town have beautiful fortresses and cobbe-stone streets) and located on the Adriatic Sea (so you do get your beach (which I've been on), yet you might have to sacrific the coconuts (although somehow I do remember palm tress there).

I've been to over 55 countries, yet somehow Dubrovnik still stands out in my mind.

PM me if you'd like further info.

ETA: However if your energy's low and you want to do the beach thing drinking out of a coconut and sightsee a little, might I suggest a one-week all-inclusive in Cancun (sightsee the Mayan ruins). There you can also swim with the dolphins if that interests you. I see you're in the US so the flight's not too far for you as well.
    I'd love to go to Cancun someday. My daughter went for her class trip & wanted to see the sights but all the other kids wanted to party. Isn't there a rain forest there also? She wants us to go & see the sights she didn't get to see. I want to take her for her birthday sometime, May 5th Cinco de Maya.

I've been to Oahu and rented a car to see the island. I didn't ever dream of going to Hawaii but once I did I fell in love with it. It's a beautiful island and it was awesome looking out at Diamond Head. Jamaica was a fun & very relaxing at an all inclusive resort & the Jamaicans are great people. We went snorkeling for the first time, can't wait to do that again. I was there last year at this time & wishing I was there now! I'll be meeting my daughter in Germany in May for a 2 week vacation & wondering where we should go. There is so much to see & having a hard time figuring out where to go. My family is from Croatia & I've heard Croatia is wonderful & thinking of going there, so I'll be checking into Dubrovnik. All the places mentioned sound so wonderful & exotic.
    Last edited by B.C.; January 18th, 2007 at 07:17 PM.

Pinkbunny, Madeira Island stood out to me too. How was it?

It was very beautiful. We stayed in Funchal. It's a volcanic island with black sand, cliffs, with limited beaches. I learned alot about the culture.

The downside...caters more to the (50+) crowd. Shopping for clothes, out of the question. Resturant workers stand outside with a tray with little glasses of wine to lure people in. I didn't like that. We often crossed the street when we got close to a resturant.

Over all, scenery is nice. So was the food. Not a place I'd recommend honestly.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Chilly, I was always under the impression that Sri Lanka wasn't a terribly safe place to be. I'm no expert in world affairs so I'm probably wrong. Did you have any troubles there? I have to admit I've wanted to go there since seeing Duran Duran's Rio video.
    It's safe as long as you avoid certain areas, such as the North or the North East. I think you have a higher risk of being blown to pieces if you go to, say, Egypt. I did travel up north before, but maybe we got lucky, overall it's not recommended. Other than that, it's a very peaceful, relaxing country.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information