Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please tell me about Australia!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I went to Adelaide once but it was closed.
    Oh don't get me started! Are there other Adelaidians here? Or anyone willing to admit it

A*O

If you are an English speaker then life in Australia is obviously much easier from the get go if you come here for work or holidays. Without the language barrier kids settle into school and make friends very quickly and the same applies for work. An American coming to live and work here would find it much less of a 'culture shock' than an American going to, say, Germany or even England to a certain extent. We are more 'Americanised' here in some respects. Having said that, Australia is different to the US in many ways and nearly all of them are good. The pace of life here is much more laid back and informal, as is the Australian 'character'. Our comparatively small population (20million) also means that our schools, health system, public services, even the traffic are not hopelessly overwhelmed. Overall the cost of living here is about the same as the US but that obviously depends on where you live.

There's an American couple just moved into our street and they have never set foot outside Illinois before so this whole experience is a steep learning curve for them starting with dealing with +85F on Christmas Day! She can't believe there isn't a Walmart nearby and I've promised to take her to a real cafe for some real coffee instead of the Starbucks she says she can't live without. She asked me the other day where she could buy some steak so I suggested our local butcher. She was stunned that we buy meat from a butcher, fruit and veg from a greengrocer, magazines from a newsagent etc. It's one of the thing I really love about Oz, shopping in your local shops give a real sense of local community within each individual suburb even in a big city like Melbourne. We do have supermarkets of course but they are not the mammoth emporiums like in the US, or even like good old Tesco in the UK.

Oh and we have strict gun control laws. Even Evilmonkey can't wave his weapon around without a licence.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    If you are an English speaker then life in Australia is obviously much easier from the get go if you come here for work or holidays. Without the language barrier kids settle into school and make friends very quickly and the same applies for work. An American coming to live and work here would find it much less of a 'culture shock' than an American going to, say, Germany or even England to a certain extent. We are more 'Americanised' here in some respects. Having said that, Australia is different to the US in many ways and nearly all of them are good. The pace of life here is much more laid back and informal, as is the Australian 'character'. Our comparatively small population (20million) also means that our schools, health system, public services, even the traffic are not hopelessly overwhelmed. Overall the cost of living here is about the same as the US but that obviously depends on where you live.

There's an American couple just moved into our street and they have never set foot outside Illinois before so this whole experience is a steep learning curve for them starting with dealing with +85F on Christmas Day! She can't believe there isn't a Walmart nearby and I've promised to take her to a real cafe for some real coffee instead of the Starbucks she says she can't live without. She asked me the other day where she could buy some steak so I suggested our local butcher. She was stunned that we buy meat from a butcher, fruit and veg from a greengrocer, magazines from a newsagent etc. It's one of the thing I really love about Oz, shopping in your local shops give a real sense of local community within each individual suburb even in a big city like Melbourne. We do have supermarkets of course but they are not the mammoth emporiums like in the US, or even like good old Tesco in the UK.

Oh and we have strict gun control laws. Even Evilmonkey can't wave his weapon around without a licence.
    If you are going to talk about Australia when the title of the thread is 'Tell me about Australia then could you PLEASE do so without having to bag the Untied States? As in 'our schools are sooo much better than the US and we are so different in so many ways and all better'..do not make me whip out a can of whoop ass on Australia. This is just the kind of shit that I was hoping to NOT see on this thread. Just freakin' talk about Australia and leave the US the fuck out of it. I seriously expected better than this from you A*O.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Well I dont even know if thats true; is it proven that Australia has a better education system? I think it comes down to the student; some of them succeed and others are dumbasses who dont apply themselves. Doesn't always have to do with the teachers and the system.

There is just no reason for US bashing as in 'so much better in so many ways than the US' in a thread that is basically saying 'tell me about Australia" not "tell me how Australia is better than nation (X). And for the record I think very highly of Australia.

Eli

Just to clarify, I love the US. Been there, lived there for 6 months so I know my shit. Serious perspective, I see much more quality in the US than in Australia, but that's just me because I don't like waiting 5 years for everything. If I was a laid back kinda guy I would most definitely like Australia better.
    So there we go I rectified my previous posts AND stood up for Sojita's country in one go!

A*O

@ Soj - where am I bagging the US? The original poster who is thinking about coming here is American and I am merely pointing out the 'differences' between our two countries. Sorry if you are taking that is a blanket criticism of the US but I won't gloss over the fact that SOME aqspects of life in Australia ARE better than the US (and the UK, and elsewhere no doubt). I'm sorry if you don't like it Soj, but a lot of American visitors here are whinge constantly about the fact that "it's not like America", the implication being that America is great and Everywhere Else is crap because it's not American. I've met some incredibly closed minded, parochial and occasionally very rude/arrogant Americans who choose to come and live/work here and then whine about how uncivilised we are because we don't have an ice hockey team or a Starbucks on every street corner. I've also met many Americans who love it here and have to be dragged kicking and screaming back to Kansas.

I have visited the US many times and I've noted the differences in our cultures, some good, some bad and I'm very sorry that pointing them out offends you. Perhaps if you came to Australia to see for yourself then you'd understand the points I and my fellow Aussie posters are trying to make. Australia isn't perfect by any means. Some aspects of life here drive me nuts but overall I know where I'd prefer to raise my kids.

Now put down that Indignation and let's have a beer!
    Dame Edna Everage

I know there are differences..and yeah there are the 'ugly Americans'. And although I have never been to Australia I do know more about it than the average American, hell I even took a college class about Australian geography. I am just not liking the 'comparison' part. If there are good parts and bad parts of Australian living/life, then talk about them. There is no need to make the 'comparison'-whether it is good or bad. I can talk about the pros and cons of US living without dragging Australia into it..so why drag the US into it?

The US does not need to be a part of the discussion is all. The question was 'tell me about Australia', not 'tell me how Australia is better/worse than the US." If the person starting the post had a specific question about differences, then let them ask, and respond accordingly IMO. Yes I am being a bit defensive cause we have to deal with the comparisons all the time and it is depressing-I doubt Australians have to deal with constantly being compared to every other nation on earth.

And I am pissed cause all of my Xmas lights just got ruined cause of some stupid electical foul-up, it is windy, snowing, and colder than a witch's tit, and I am pissed!

*Those asshole American travelers should just be shot..we do not want them back here..just kill them and neither of us has to deal with them anymore..just say some dingoes ate them, sharks attacked them, stingrays stung them, or something!!!

*there is no beer or liquor...the liquor stores are closed, the highways are icy, and the crazies are out on the roads. No beer for me!!

Just ignore my ranting..I am just in a foul mood

^Aw Soj, if I could hand you the beer that's been sitting in my fridge for weeks through the computer screen, I would!
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry gashes View Post
    you're so cute! I was talking to piper (the person).
    Oh duh, I'm a tard! Haha

(If anyone slates England I'll get pissed off, so I can understand being upset if you feel you're country is being slated.)

i'm learning how to make cocktails - would you like to try one of my "creations"??? so far i can do daiquiris will be attempting a tequila sunrise tonight!!
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    Oh duh, I'm a tard! Haha

(If anyone slates England I'll get pissed off, so I can understand being upset if you feel you're country is being slated.)
    Well of course there is the exception ..France!.. slate away!!!

A*O

Yeah, France sucks too!

Seriously, when you are curious about a different place, experience or whatever you can only really make sense of it if you DO make the comparison to the familiar things around you or even, perhaps, take for granted? To use the Starbucks example, it's such an integral part of many (not all) Americans lives that when they come to live in a country (not just Oz) and discover we don't have Starbucks all over the city they can't comprehend it and can sometimes be very resistant to the idea of trying the plentiful alternatives. From my own perspective, I was never a huge coffee drinker in the UK because they are crap at making it. The height of coffee sophistication there is a jar of Gold Blend instant coffee instead of Nescafe. I drank Starbucks in the US and it was most definitely an improvement, ie, it tasted like coffee instead of brown hot water BUT my first cup of coffee in a local Italian-run cafe in my little suburb of Melbourne just blew me away and I'm afraid that nothing else will do now. On the other hand, I love the way that in American diners and restaurants the coffee jug just keeps on coming round to top you up instead of having to specifically order more. That doesn't happen here.

And the temperature here today is a balmy +80F (+110F over the New Year holiday) but I guess that's bragging too LOL And it's totally WEIRD seeing houses with electric displays of Santa and his reindeer, snowmen, etc. in this summer heat. Christmas should be COLD dammit! We're going to Canada next time.
    Dame Edna Everage

I have a feeling that most of the Americans who could afford to vacation in Oz, or who have chosen to live there, are not the best representatives of our country. Probably have too much money and are pompous and overbearing compared to the 'average' I would guess. Hell if I was there I would be very conscious of NOT trying to act like some spoiled arrogant snot.

*Speaking of Canada..I actually found Toronto(inner city/CBD) to be very snotty* when I was there(excuse the fuck out of me that everything is bilingual(including signs) and I DARED to ask what an abbreviated French word was)....people were nicer in NYC!

*not an attack on Canada...just my experience that one vacation there. Very pleasant time at Niagara Falls(Canada side). And got picked to be in some survey thing at a mall in Mississauga and got a huge bunch of free stuff for it.

A*O

I heart New York! A great city, assholes taxidrivers and all. I've been to Tronno once and have to say I wasn't won over but my only other Canadian experiences have been over to the west in Calgary where my sister used to live (she's now in BC) and the Rockies which are fantastic.
    Dame Edna Everage

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information