Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ok, going to NYC in a week for 4 or 5 days. Gimme things to do!

I had planned to take a photography course at the end of summer, but being laid off kinda put the nix on that. I'd always wanted to get into film, but figured it would be a good stand by hobby.

Mebbe i could go run around warzones with a camera or something
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

just do it! if it makes you happy then its worth it. most ppl don't even have hobbies grim

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I had planned to take a photography course at the end of summer, but being laid off kinda put the nix on that. I'd always wanted to get into film, but figured it would be a good stand by hobby.

Mebbe i could go run around warzones with a camera or something

u r a great photographer. i was just in nyc last month. i love that city.

Hit By Ban Bus!

All of the ideas here are good. I was born and raised in NYC. Personal favorites, Bronx Zoo (incredible), Central Park Zoo, American Museum of Natural History, which also houses the Hayden Planitarium, and maybe take a walk down and see the Dakota (you can't go in, but you can appreciate it from the outside), Crysler Building (fabulous art deco bldg)., Ellis Island, the double-decker bus tour, eat in Wo-hops (17 Mott street) in Chinatown and Villa Mosconi, MacDougal and Houston Streets, great Jewish Deli is Katz's on Houston St. (and in NY it is how-ston, not hew-ston), Katz's has been around since 1888. If you want to see a show, definitely buy your tickets in Times Sq at the TKTS (cheap!), and eat at Joe Allen's (pretty famous broadway area restaurant, but expensive), the ice cream parlor someone mentioned near Bloomingdale's is Serendipity (3rd and 60th Street), then go across the street and ride the Roosevelt Island Tram (best time is at dusk as the city lights up and you can still see the view of the city). You can walk around the island (2.5 miles long) there is a bus, but I would walk along the promanade -- NYC (Manhattan) on west side, Queens on the east side (lived on RI for nine years). The Cloisters, Cathedrial of St. John the Devine, and there are lots of pretty old churches to walk into all over the city (St. Patrick's 5th Ave near Saks, (Across from Saks is Rockefeller Center) St. Thomas 5th and 53rd, St. Bartholomew's Park in the low 50's or high 40's. If you are in the financial district, St. Paul's (George Washington's Pew) and Trinity Church. They have nice, very old cemetries. Def walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and you can see a little of Brooklyn. If you do spend anytime in Brooklyn, go to Bay Ridge (where I am from) there are great restaurants, beautiful churches (known as the borough of churches), and the best pizza. Tiffany's (I love the rude sales people), Saks, Bergdorf's, Lord & Taylor (oldest dept store in the city), Bloomie's -- Old stores with original woodwork and chandeliers, etc. Moma, Guggenheim, and there are lots of odd museums around. The NY Public Library on 5th Ave and 40th St(?), Walk around the Village, Chelsea and Soho (art galleries). I could go on forever. There are many, many great things to see in NY. Chelsea (good chinese/cuban restuarant there, can't remember name and it is cheap). Chelsea, West Village and Upper West side are my favorite neighborhoods. On 86th Street, east side (Germantown) you can find great German food, some pretty cheap (if they're not fancy, they are usually cheap, and the food is yum). This doesn't even scratch the surface or take you to places in the other boroughs that have some great things to see. Have lots of fun and take lots of pics. Don't know your sex or sexual orientation (and don't care) , but in the West Village you can go to Julius', oldest gay bar in the city. I could give you a shitload of really good expensive restaurants, but I don't think that is what you want. I would move back in a heartbeat if I could, but could never afford the amount of space I have in my home and or find the amount of land (for the doggies) I have in the country, or live on a lake. At least I am only about 1.5 hours away! Enjoy the energy, watch the crazies, you may catch a glimpse of celebrities, and don't act like a tourist. Glad you will be there with a NYer, s/he will know a lot about where to take you. We want a full report when you return.
    Last edited by Jansi; August 1st, 2009 at 01:12 AM.

Hit By Ban Bus!

we stayed at the chelsea hotel on 23rd because i always wanted to. i liked it but if you're a holiday inn type, skip it. location wise u can't beat it.

Those are some great photos, grimm!

They look just like they are out of a magazine. Amazing pics
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

thanks guys
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

black and whites are my favs!
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Hit By Ban Bus!

When are you leaving Grim?

um, he's already back.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    um, he's already back.
    He is??? OK, so where is our full report?

check the pics we've been posting about the last few pages.
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

Zee

Is the lucite spiral stair case in the Apple store? I love that photo.

Great shots-
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information