Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 63

Thread: Ok, going to NYC in a week for 4 or 5 days. Gimme things to do!

  1. #16
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    The normal tourist sites are cool. But the one thing I've always loved about N.Y. is the overall energy/feel you get from the city itself just walking down the street. Hell, just watching some of the freaks on the subway is fun.

  2. #17
    Silver Member missjuicy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    jersey
    Posts
    672

    Default

    the museums are all worth a see...also central park

    bars: down the hatch, off the wagon and jekyl and hydes ..all worth a look

    i live in area if u need another tour guide!

    also visit the area called "the village" its AMAZING all good music, art, culture, etc. by locals. i dont know how to put it but its pretty organic and 'real' down there. i always enjoy just walking upo and down the blocks

    and little italy PLEASE eat there...ill find u the name of the fmaous bakery its amazing
    Last edited by Tati; July 1st, 2009 at 08:42 PM.

  3. #18
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Well i have a native i'm staying with who's gone all giggly with an itinerary, so he'll be a tour guide. Im hoping to hit up some brunch places, shops and dinner places as well. I also plan to wander some at night and take pictures
    As far as brunch have you ever had Dim Sum? These are all different types of dumplings, and other savories served in tapas sized plates...but chinese style. Go down to chinatown and try it at HSF restaurant. It's really cool, the ladies with about 10 words of english march around with push carts of different treats and just uncover them one by one and you point to what you'd like to try. Also they have fantastic Peking Duck. Even better, extremely reasonable price wise ($4-7 a plate). So if you get something that doesnt turn you on you can leave the remainder on the table without guilt and point to something else.

    For italian, you cant leave NYC without going to Patsy's (58th st?)

    Ribs/southern BBQ Sylvia's in Harlem.

    Japanese...of course Nobu if you have the $, but we always enjoy East on the upper East side (60 something).

    And my personal favorite if you're going to do anything in the 30's...Asia de Cuba.

  4. #19
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    30,450

    Default

    It will take you 3-4 days just to do the normal tourist stuff. The museums are fantastic, especially MOMA and take a walk through Central Park enjoying the artists and buskers along the way to the Metropolitan and Guggenheim Museums. The Tiffany exhibits are spectacular. Staten Island ferry past Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty offers the best view of NYC even without the twin towers. Window shop at Tiffany's 5th Ave and wander around Saks, Nieman Marcus and Bergdorfs and SMELL the $$$. Bloomingdales is better than Macys for more affordable shit. There is an awesome icecream parlour near Bloomingdales - can't remember the name (locals please help?). Don't waste your money on a horse and carriage ride through Central Park. And find a good Jewish deli for a pastrami sandwich. It will contain half a cow and you won't need to eat for at least 2 days afterwards. Generally speaking it's pretty safe to walk around, but if in doubt grab a cab. The drivers are hilarious, especially the really cranky ones. And enjoy the vibe - it's a great city.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

    Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

  5. #20
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Default

    well im all packed up and ready for my grueling bus ride.. thankfully i'm flying back.

    I snapped up some of your ideas and will do my best to be the biggest gawking tourist evar. I'll share pics when i return.

    This does mean you'll all have to do without me for about a week. Try not to die while I'm gone, bitches.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  6. #21
    Gold Member frecklered's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    743

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    The normal tourist sites are cool. But the one thing I've always loved about N.Y. is the overall energy/feel you get from the city itself just walking down the street. Hell, just watching some of the freaks on the subway is fun.
    ...that's exactly why I love it and am moving there! (the energy, not the freaks in the subway thing..)
    I wish I could recommend something else but it's all been covered! I'm more of a "walk around, talk to people, stumble on adventures" type traveler myself, and it's possible to do that in NYC for a week. or even longer, I'm sure...have a great time!!
    here I am, rock you like a hurricane.

  7. #22
    Elite Member mrs.v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    highway jammed with broken heroes
    Posts
    22,701

    Default

    Yep,seems like everything worth mentioning has been covered,have fun,relax and share some pics when you get back.
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

  8. #23
    Elite Member Lobelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    a backwards hillbilly state
    Posts
    20,801

    Default

    Check Lily's website & see if she's playing in NYC while you're there
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

    Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

  9. #24
    Elite Member *DIVA!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    15,742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Well i have a native i'm staying with who's gone all giggly with an itinerary, so he'll be a tour guide. Im hoping to hit up some brunch places, shops and dinner places as well. I also plan to wander some at night and take pictures
    You have to pos them.. I loved your last ones.

    Grim, you have to go to Harlem..pick you up some sassy black chick!!
    Last edited by Tati; July 6th, 2009 at 04:09 PM.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

    I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

  10. #25
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Uranus
    Posts
    31,885

    Default

    I dare you to take the Sex and the City tour.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

  11. #26
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    It will take you 3-4 days just to do the normal tourist stuff. The museums are fantastic, especially MOMA and take a walk through Central Park enjoying the artists and buskers along the way to the Metropolitan and Guggenheim Museums. The Tiffany exhibits are spectacular. Staten Island ferry past Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty offers the best view of NYC even without the twin towers. Window shop at Tiffany's 5th Ave and wander around Saks, Nieman Marcus and Bergdorfs and SMELL the $$$. Bloomingdales is better than Macys for more affordable shit. There is an awesome icecream parlour near Bloomingdales - can't remember the name (locals please help?). Don't waste your money on a horse and carriage ride through Central Park. And find a good Jewish deli for a pastrami sandwich. It will contain half a cow and you won't need to eat for at least 2 days afterwards. Generally speaking it's pretty safe to walk around, but if in doubt grab a cab. The drivers are hilarious, especially the really cranky ones. And enjoy the vibe - it's a great city.
    2nd Avenue Deli down by Beth Isreal Hospital..I think 16th street...the BEST pastrami sandwich!

  12. #27
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,878

    Default

    ^ that location has been closed for a few years, it moved uptown to 33rd and 3rd. it was sad, the deli was a neighborhhod staple.

    A*O- I think the ice cream place you're thinking of is Serendipity
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  13. #28
    Elite Member Charmed Hour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,177

    Default

    Gah, I'm late.

    Few suggestions....Shakespeare in the Park (Twelfth Night with Anne Hathaway), Riverside Park does free Shakespeare as well, think it's a Midsummer Night's Dream this month. Bryant Park Film Festival is going on...

    NYC Parks website...lots of free and interesting things to do and not just for tourists. New York City Department of Parks & Recreation

  14. #29
    czb
    czb is online now
    Elite Member czb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    left coast
    Posts
    13,800

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    ^ that location has been closed for a few years, it moved uptown to 33rd and 3rd. it was sad, the deli was a neighborhhod staple.

    A*O- I think the ice cream place you're thinking of is Serendipity
    mmmm serendipity. not for calorie-conscious peeps, though. frozen hot chocolate. yummmm.

  15. #30
    Elite Member Laxmobster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Down by da beach....boyeee
    Posts
    7,648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post

    The Irish Hunger Memorial, The Comic & Cartoon Museum, The Museum of Sex are all off beat places.
    My boss was just telling me about this place! I am dying to go the next time I visit...Actually this thread has made me want to plan a trip to see the bro soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Gimme Gimme Gimme
    By Belt Up in forum Television and Movies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 20th, 2009, 09:40 PM
  2. Replies: 56
    Last Post: April 13th, 2009, 11:07 PM
  3. 'Gimme Gimme.. SHOES' - Britney vs. Kelly, betch!
    By Grimmlok in forum Laughs and Oddities
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: October 12th, 2007, 11:16 AM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: August 16th, 2007, 01:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •