Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oasis of the Seas Cruise Ship : Does size really matter?

Too huge, too impersonal, too much of a ...target.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

I went on my first cruise last year and had a fantastic time, great food, lots of activities; I had a better time on the ship than I did on the islands. Actually, it was Explorer of the Seas, so if this one's anything like it's baby sister, than it'll be a blast

Bigger the ship bigger the crowds, do you like standing in line? Everywhere you go there's ppl on the large ships. Cruises are really the cheapest way to vacation and say you went somewhere, it's not for me.

fgg

cruises are so much fun! nothing to do except relax, drink and party. you can go with a big group but still do your own thing because you'll run in to everyone else at some point.

that sounds like my idea of hell.

Give me a quiet beach in a secluded location, with just a few other people on it and i'm right as rain.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I don't really get why people under the age of 50 want to go on cruises, it just seems so dull. My parents love going on cruises, but it always sounds to me like they're spending two grand on going somewhere that's like spending a week in the city, but hot and full of old people. My favourite holiday was when we travelled around France, Spain, Italy, Sweden and Germany for a fortnight on the hop; far more exciting and authentic than sitting on a giant boat. And speaking of giant, that boat could house my entire town. Twice. That's not right!
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Yeah I've never understood the appeal of cruises either. Fuck if I'm going to pay for the privilege of a tiny room, standing in lines and enduring crowds of people. I prefer solitude myself, I get pissy and can't relax with so many people around.

I wouldn't say no if I was offered a free trip (as if that'd happen) but it wouldn't be my dream holiday, I think I'd go mad and jump overboard

My family used to take a cruise every year as our vacation (my parents still do, but my sister and I have aged out of the "family vacation"). I usually had a blast, but I'm also someone who likes to lay out and read a book on ship days, then pick from something active, beach, or bars when in port. My boyfriend would probably get bored out of his skull if we cruised together, he needs to constantly be doing active stuff plus he hates stupid people and there is an abundance of them on those ships.

I went on a cruise about 10 years ago. Hated it. Super cramped (4 people to a double-occupancy stateroom the size of the bathroom in my already tiny apartment), you can feel the boat moving when you're walking down the hallway, rained the entire time, EVERYTHING costs an exorbitant amount of money, fanny packs and sun visors galore, at the dinners you have to sit with other travelers and GOD sometimes they can get fucking annoying (I remember one traveler made us pray at the beginning of every meal.. brought a handy dandy little pocket bible with her, too.. how convenient), my aunt insisted that we do those stupid photos for the formal dinner night so we had to wait in line with everyone else in prom dresses and tuxedos , even the activities coordinated by the cruise line on the docking locations are dumb-- we went snorkeling on this gorgeous beach but it was so unenjoyable because there were people everywhere you couldn't relax on the sand or go swimming on your own without bumping into some idiot taking a picture of a rock or a tree... just hated it. I want to go on a vacation to get AWAY from environments like that but instead it's like being trapped on a floating island full of stereotypical tourists.

My husband wants to go on a cruise to Alaska. Going to Alaska sounds great but not on a cruise ship. To me that's like saying let's go clothes shopping at Walmart.

The idea of going on a cruise has just never appealed to me. It sounds stressful to me, not relaxing. When I go on a vacation, I want privacy. Every time I hear the word 'cruise,' I immediately starting imagining crowds of pretentious, touristy people, unruly kids tear assing around the ship completely unsupervised, and outbreaks of Norovirus.

Even the one in the youtube video looks chaotic and claustrophobic. I agree that it's like a giant mall.

And what is this business I keep hearing about assigned seating at meals? Being forced to sit with strangers and make awkward conversation is another activity I'm not going pay money to endure on vacation.

We did a family cruise to Alaska last summer. I was always anti-cruise but had no problem going on someone else's dime.

Our room was actually spacious. We didn't do any of the cruise's excursions but did our own thing on our shore time. We weren't rushed and saw a LOT!

Ship time was good too. Lots of entertainment and activities if you wanted them. Sometimes we just read and people watched. We bought our own booze on shore so we saved some money that way.

I've almost always heard that it's way better to set up your own excursions rather than do the ones provided by the ship.

I'm still amazed that something so large doesn't sink into the ocean. I'd be pondering that the whole entire time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information