Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: National Geographic's Photography Contest 2010

These are great. I love the dolphin and lady on the carriage pics.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

holy fucking shit at how amazing this planet is; all of these could easily bring me to tears at their beauty

The winners are...

Grand Prize Winner and Nature Winner
    Photo and caption by Lim Boon Teck , Aaron

A canceled trek turned into the opportunity of a lifetime for photographer Aaron Lim Boon Teck, who captured an active Indonesian volcano in his image "Eruption of Gunung Rinjani."
    "Trekkers [who] were able to make it up to the crater rim on time [were] able to camp overnight to witness the eruption [the] whole night long," Boon Teck, of Singapore, wrote with his submission to the 2010 National Geographic Photography Contest. "I wanted to share with everyone this experience of seeing many elements going on at a particular point in time."
    Freelance photographer and contest judge Joel Sartore said, "This image best represented the craft of photography. Not only is the light subtle and beautiful, and not only is it a lovely scene, but there's a volcanic eruption going on in the background."
    National Geographic magazine senior photo editor and judge Sadie Quarrier noted that combining multiple images into one stitched image "gives us a wide, powerful, and unique view."

Honorable Mention
    Photo and caption by Sean Heavey
    Supercell Thunderstorm
    A supercell thunderstorm rolls across the Montana prairie at sunset

Honorable Mention
    Photo and caption by Stephanie Swartz
    Lion in the Shadows
    This lion at a wildlife sanctuary in Indonesia found his light at the perfect moment for me to capture it.

Honorable Mention
    Photo and caption by Nenad Saljic
    Twilight Clouds
    I have spent seven days waiting for this image, and finally on the morning just before my departure the clouds were moving fast and clearing the North Face of Matterhorn. I have used ND filter and exposure was 47 sec.

People Winner

Photo and caption by Chan Kwok Hung .

An Indonesian farmer and his buffalo charge through the mud in "Buffalo Race," an image that contest judge Joel Sartore called "an epic scene."
    Farmers literally put a lot of stock into winning these annual races, which they believe will bring them luck during the upcoming growing season, according to photographer Chan Kwok Hung of Hong Kong.
    National Geographic magazine senior photo editor and judge Sadie Quarrier praised the image as a "nicely composed, very real moment."
    "I'm immediately drawn to the expression on the guy's face, with his open mouth and tightly squeezed eyes as if he's barely holding on."
    Added Sartore, a freelance photographer, "Peak action, interesting subject matter, and a soft background all combined to make this image a winner."

Honorable Mention

Photo and caption by robin utrecht

Xhosa Boy
    South Africa: A Xhosa boy from the Xhosa tribe cries during a circumcision ceremony, where the young boys become men after surviving 4 to 6 weeks alone in the bush in the West Cape of South Africa. Also Nelson Mandela is from the same tribe and has done this ritual.

Honorable Mention

Photo and caption by brian bielmann

Crazy Train
    Donavon traveling the distance in slow motion while the white water erupts above him like a train out of control.

2010 National Geographic Photo Contest - Galleries - National Geographic Magazine

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ whoah

That lion is so beautiful

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information