Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: London calling

Eli

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Me too! It's ridiculous, but I have a better time at Tesco than at Chanel. Am I a weirdo?
    OMG yes, I was talking about grocery shopping supermarkets.

No, I get what you mean. I love their shops in the sense that you mean too. They're insanely good. Better than America? Mmm apparently not, but who cares. They're all better than Australian ones. Seriously, go into an Aussie supermarkert and what will you find compared to other country's? A packet of Dick Clark approved Vegemite spinning on the floor.

A*O

It's true - Aussie supermarkets are back in the Stone Age compared to British ones. You can get most items there but the presentation is so drab and boring! If they imported a Tesco or Sainsbury marketing whizz to spruce up Coles image and do some serious re-fitting and refurbishment of their stores people would be queueing up to get in.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I already surfed the web and I have a list of:
    - places I really wanna visit;
    - places to eat to avoid starving :-PPP
    - shops I really cannot miss since I'm in London.

Among them there is: TESCO, TOPSHOP, TOYSHOP, BOOTS, CARNABY STREET, HARROD'S, SELFRIDGE, ASOS. I also realized of a market called Spitalfield Market every sunday, with very nice things but I don't know anything more about it.

I wish to taste KFC, B.KING, MC DONALD'S, FISH&CHIPS

I wish to visit... well, too long list!
    But I am planning things for each single day. Do you know some reputable Hotels? I have several names, but for each of them there's at least one - feedback: that's unbelievable!!
    PS: what do you think about my list?

A*O

Don't you have KFC, Burgerking, McDonalds etc where you live? It's the same crap in England; trust me. There are literally thousands of hotels in London - the price usually tells you how good they are and I should warn you now that it's probably one of the most expensive places in the world to stay, even at the 'budget' end of the market. You need to do a LOT of research before you go.
    Dame Edna Everage

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Don't you have KFC, Burgerking, McDonalds etc where you live? It's the same crap in England; trust me. There are literally thousands of hotels in London - the price usually tells you how good they are and I should warn you now that it's probably one of the most expensive places in the world to stay, even at the 'budget' end of the market. You need to do a LOT of research before you go.
    Uhm... we only have McDonald's and Burger King, but this last one was suppressed due to lack of customers. But you're right when you say it is probably the same crap!!!
    But there is no KFC; I know there's a big harsh with this big colossus with animalists... I feel a bit guilty but I'd liekto taste it
    Do you have any suggestions on places to have dinner and lunch?? You know, I'll have to eat out almost every day... Somebody told me Indian restaurants are good. And also chinese ones, but I'd rather starve, I am allergic to some food.
    I've checked some other hotels before, but it looks like it a taugh choice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    It's true - Aussie supermarkets are back in the Stone Age compared to British ones. You can get most items there but the presentation is so drab and boring! If they imported a Tesco or Sainsbury marketing whizz to spruce up Coles image and do some serious re-fitting and refurbishment of their stores people would be queueing up to get in.
    Have you ever been to Germany? In German supermarkets I feel like I'm in the third world. How about trying to make things a teeny tiny bit appealing?
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by waikiki View Post
    Do you have any suggestions on places to have dinner and lunch?? You know, I'll have to eat out almost every day... Somebody told me Indian restaurants are good. And also chinese ones, but I'd rather starve, I am allergic to some food.
    I've checked some other hotels before, but it looks like it a taugh choice!!!
    This is an impossible question. So much depends on your budget (and your allergies). London is a big city with literally thousands of places to eat. There are some nice cafe-type places in the Covent Garden area. You can eat relatively cheaply but again, it's usually a case of 'you get what you pay for'. As for hotels, you need to choose very carefully and check them out thoroughly. There are some absolute fleapits that charge a fortune and unfortunately I don't think you will find any bargains in central London. Like I say, London is NOT a cheap place to visit. I'm not trying to put you off - far from it - but I know so many tourists who visit without a clue how much it's going to cost and end up either running out of money, overspending, being ripped off, etc so please calculate some kind of realistic budget before you go.
    Dame Edna Everage

Eli

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Have you ever been to Germany? In German supermarkets I feel like I'm in the third world. How about trying to make things a teeny tiny bit appealing?
    That's because everyone in Germany is ugly and they know it, so why make anything appealing when they know it's really just ugly.

Please keep in mind, I've never been to London, but on the off chance the accomodations work anything like they do in Scotland, you might have luck looking at hostels. They can be iffy in North America, but when I backpacked through Scotland I found they were very much like regular hotels or inns, very nice, clean and well-equipped, but much cheaper. I realize London's a very expensive city, so this may not help you, but it could be worth looking into.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

For the last year I've been to London 4 times, for shopping and sightseeing

Everytime we stayed at Travelogde Hotel.
    Travelodge - Great value accommodation across the UK and Ireland

We book the room early then we can get the chance to get really inexpensive rooms. One time we paid only 10 punds a night for the room. The other times we've paid 25 punds.
    The rooms are ok. Nice size in the rooms and there are tiles in the bathroom, not carpets... that is common in british hotels.

All of the sightseeing that you need to see is allready mentioned. However, if you are going to the wax museum, I recommend that you do this in the morning, when opening... otherwise the line can be really long and it can take hours before you get inside the museum.

I've fallen in love with Covent Garden, I recommend you go shopping there. Otherwise, Oxfordstreet is also a must. My favs when it comes to shopping is Harrods, Selfrigdes, New look, Top Shop, River Island, Jane Norman, Niketown....

You should also se at least one musical... it's really a great experience seeing a musical, we went to the footlose musical, it was great

I really miss London and want to go back one more time really soon... need to save some money for shopping first

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    That's because everyone in Germany is ugly and they know it, so why make anything appealing when they know it's really just ugly.
    Excuse me?
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    Is Heidi Klum ugly to you?

Hmm I've seen some very appealing pictures of germany.. historic little storybook towns, beautiful, steep rolling hills with amazing views... and you can't beat a Berlin club scene
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

A joke surely??!
    Curiouser and curiouser...

^^ I'm not too sure.
    -Bugdoll-

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information