Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: L.A. people: Best places to live in Los Angeles?

I only remember Glendale from visiting. We went to the Glendale Mall, lol. Yeah, suburban or at least a far cry from where my friends live.

Someone correct me here, but I think I remember Glendale being near Sherman Oaks? Sherman Oaks is lovely. The other thing I remember about the Valley was Sally's Beauty Supply store!

Thanks Alice and Chalet.

Shoot, I don't like what I'm hearing you say about the heat though. I'm super sensitive to heat and break a sweat as soon as it goes over 72 degrees My husband will work in N. Hollywood, but I'll have to look for a job and it might be likely I will work in L.A. Combined with the heat and the traffic, I might go nuts...

But first we need to get a car. That will get the ball rolling on the insanity process quite nicely.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

oh wow, well good luck beeyotch im sure you'll adjust! i bet l.a.'s a cakewalk compared to barcelona

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Silver Lake is really a cool area. You may also like Los Feliz and parts of Hollywood (like Beachwood Canyon).
    I was going to suggest Los Feliz as well. My brother lived out that way about 2 years ago and I loved the area!

Gold Member

Glendale is a city within LA county. It has it's own police and fire deps which is good, but it has some bad areas. You should really be there when apartment hunting. Glendale is not in the Valley, it's east of it. I would avoid NH at all costs, it's not safe IMO. There are some nice pockets, but again you should be there to see the place before you move in.

The weather is better on the coast in the summer but the rest of the year, it's usually 70+ degrees in the Valley while the coast becomes gloomy and cold. I don't think one is better than the other. I live in a hilly area so I get the best of both worlds.

If you are going to work in NH or in the Studios you should try to stay around that area. All the places you have listed would be a comfortable commute.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

Alice, Barcelona is nice, but I'm just soo very glad to be going back to the U.S. Feel like I can get my bearings there a little better, you know? Anyhoo, thanks for the good luck, I could always use some.

Thanks for the advice, Laxmobster and PaintTheTownRed. I don't know why I had a sneaking suspicion that N. Hollywood might be a bit seedy. I need to do as much research as I can before we actually move and see the different areas. So everyone's opinion helps!

I've never been to L.A. but hubby has for business and he likened it a little bit to Jacksonville, FL where we used to live, because there's lots of different little parts of town that have their own kind of flavor. And because all you do is drive around a lot EVERYWHERE. Going to visit or meet up with friends always involved a 20 minute drive or more.

I've been looking at apts. in Los Feliz on Craigslist and it does look very nice, I am leaning toward that area. I also love, love, love the restored historic spanish-style homes with fixtures and stuff from the 20's and 30's. Of course, I'm not sure we'll be able to afford one, but they sure are beautiful.

You will LOVE Los Feliz...it's awesome. Very funky and yet, there are multi-million dollar homes around the corner. There are great areas in every part of LA. The Valley has really nice areas, the beach is great, parts to the south like Pasadena are really nice, but a bit far....you'll see. Congrats!

Thanks, KrisNine! Looking more and more like people are recommending Los Feliz, it's really convincing me.

Husband just arrived today and a friend of his at his company decided to be silly and give him the "star treatment" and having a limo pick him up to welcome him to L.A.! I just hope he realizes he is now gonna have to do the same for me...I demand limo service at the airport from now on!

I'm flying out today!! Leaving for the airport in 30 minutes...

Good-bye Barcelona! I'm off to other sunny places, pit stop in FL to see family and then I'm off to stalk Becks in Hell-ay!

Congrats...good luck and we'll "see" you soon Our soon to be California Soul Sista

Thanks! *raising fist of California solidarity*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information