Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: I'm going to the U.S.

Elite Member

Default re

Have fun. I have always wanted to go to New Orleans. (But, yeah, it'll be hot.)

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    we're in memphis now and go to new orleans the day after tomorrow, the weather is KILLING me. i seriously don't know how people can live here.
    Honey, if you think the humidity and heat are awful in Memphis, New Orleans will knock you on your ass. Be sure and drink plenty of water, rest every so often and duck into somewhere air conditioned regularly. The weather is brutal in the deep south right now even for natives, much less if you're not used to it, so stay hydrated.

Hope you're having fun on your trip.

The air doesnt move it NO. Its more comfortable here in Fl, we have nice ocean breezes
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Elite Member

We haven't heard from Stef in quite awhile. I wonder if she's in a Tijuana jail?

Oh,lawd! Or became a stripper on Bourbon Street!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

hey everyone, i'm back and hell no, i didn't become a stripper on burbon street.

the trip was great, it's definitely a beautiful country. i loved every city we've been to except nashville & memphis and americans are the nicest people i've ever met.

i'm just happy i'm back now because i missed my boyfriend so much...
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

glad you had a fun trip Stef
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Glad you're home safe Stef!
    Free Charmed.

You are such a nice person,I'm sure it was easy to be nice to you! So glad you enjoyed your visit-can we hear more after you recover?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    hey everyone, i'm back and hell no, i didn't become a stripper on burbon street.

the trip was great, it's definitely a beautiful country. i loved every city we've been to except nashville & memphis and americans are the nicest people i've ever met.

i'm just happy i'm back now because i missed my boyfriend so much...
    I'm so glad you had fun. It makes me feel proud that you had such a pleasant experience and found us to be kind. Spread the word!!

I've always wondered what other people outside the US expect us to be like.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you all!

crumpet, i do spread the word! i’m still amazed at how nice and sincere and polite people were.

the prejudice about new yorkers being rude – wrong! they were the nicest! the bus drivers in every city were always telling us where to go and when to exit when we were lost – here bus drivers would never do that, most of them are rude so you’d be too scared to even ask for directions.

american people are so damn polite – they accidentally touch you with a finger and immediately tell you how sorry they are. in germany nobody gives a fuck about that.

people say “hi” to you and start talking to you and treat you like your best friend even though they don’t even know you – i’ve never experienced that here. i felt so welcome.

other general stuff i've noticed:
    - most americans haven't visited any other country except mexico and don't know much about other countries ("oh you're from germany? isn't that a country in vienna?"), but they always say how they wanna go to europe someday.
    - the sizes of dishes are crazy. who eats that much? in general, there's so much delicious unhealthy food, it's definitely easier to get fat in america than in germany. i miss pancakes so much.

mcjag, i could tell sooo many stories... i'll just think of some stuff:

new york:
    - AMAZING, overwhelming, i loved it, i wanted to go there my whole life, my dream came true
    - i loved the parks, very clean, squirrels everywhere
    - harlem was fine. of course people were looking at us differently and sometimes there were situations where i was like "okay how do we get out of here now" but i've never heard gun shots or seen dead people or something. the people in our street were always dancing to michael jackson music in the middle of the street and the music was so loud you could hear it everywhere - that was soooo different from germany.
    - fireworks on july 4th were great, we also had a barbecue in the middle of the sidewalk LOL
    - there's a woman working at "dunkin donuts" at the subway station at rockefeller center who CANNOT speak proper english and blamed it on me - she's a dumb bitch and can kiss my ass

boston:
    - very, very nice and pretty city, probably a great city to live in - unfortunately we only had 1 full day there and the rain was pouring down like crazy - we still did all the tourist stuff, even though we were completely soaked wet. loved the "i hate france"-t-shirts in north end.
    - harvard was amazing, it looks like hogwarts from harry potter.
    - oh, if you plan on visisting the uss constitution, i think it's one of the last stops of the freedom trail - there's a hot about 20 year old soldier working there.

washington DC:
    - the city itself is very... business like. lots of office buildings, many business people walking around. it's not that welcoming but nice nevertheless.
    - loved all the buildings and monuments. i loved the capitol, absolutely amazing. i was completely disappointed by the white house, it's so damn small compared to how large it appears on tv.

nashville & memphis:
    - i don't even wanna think about those two... nashville was ugly as hell, i didn't like the whole atmosphere, the same with memphis except memphis is larger, a little nicer and there's a little more civilization there. the black/white race issue seems to be HUGE there, people were taking about it constantly and some where like “wow it’s great you’re talking to us (blacks)” I was like “wtf?”. another time we were talking to this woman and she asked us “don’t you notice how people stare at us? it’s because they’re asking themselves “why is she talking to those white girls?” – it seems like people live in a cave there.
    - graceland was great though. such a beautiful house, i loved it.

new orleans:
    - AMAZING. such a different atmosphere. very charismatic, i loved all the voodoo stuff, the french quarter... what i didn't like was that there are wasted people everywhere, but it was okay. we ate at “cafe du monde” twice - the beignets... oh my god. delicious!. we also did a swamp tour and saw alligators eating marshmallows in front of our eyes!
    - unlike tennessee, i loved that part of the south. it's different, but in a good way.

san francisco:
    - beautiful city, absolutely beautiful. i loved everything, the golden gate bridge, the streets and houses... living there must be great. unfortunately the weather sucked and it was very cold most of the time.

los angeles:
    - a little overrated. it’s nice, especially areas like beverly hills and bel air are beautiful, i loved crazy hollywood (our hostel was right in front of the kodak theatre) and it’s great to see all the stuff you know from tv, but it’s really not all that, imo.
    - ugliest chinatown i’ve ever seen
    - the beach in santa monica is beautiful, i didn’t like venice beach, too many weird hippies
    - most people walking around are unfriendly and think they’re the hottest shit ever. LA also had the most anorexic people. i wasn’t surprised about that.

san diego:
    - maaaany hippies and high people there, it’s nice though
    - i loved sea world and the zoo

chicago:
    - basically the same as new york, just smaller and a “cozier” atmosphere. i completely loved it. my favourite combined with NY and san francisco.
    - there was this guy hitting on me and the first thing he said (seriously, best pick-up line ever) “ARE YOU PREGNANT?” – i’m serious. he asked me that. i’ll never forget that. he later explained to me how sorry he was and how he didn’t know what to say because of my beauty, but whatever… completely priceless.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

I am so glad you liked New Orleans! Cafe du Monde is my good-luck place. I go to it first thing & last thing. In college, we would all go there & have powered sugar fights with the beignets-great fun! Everyone would leave covered in sugar.
    Thank you for telling us about your Journey-what a wonderful thing to share.

^^ that sounds like lots of fun if you're prepared. you know, when we first went there (cafe du monde) i had BLACK clothes on. bad, bad idea.

i'm glad that you had such a nice trip, stef!!
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Thanks for sharing, Stef! I'll definitely keep this stuff in mind when and if I visit some of these places.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information