Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 90

Thread: I'm going to the U.S.

  1. #61
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,776

    Default re

    It's fun to at least visit the Hotel Del and maybe go to the public beach nearby. Lots of people rent bicycles on the island and poke around the cute little town and the beautiful homes.

    It's accessible via a big-ass bridge.

  2. #62
    Elite Member yanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FierceKiten View Post
    If one can afford a car, any american or european for that matter would use it. I fail to understand "social divde", comment. There are people who depend on public transport and could care regaurdless who uses them.

    That's a pretty presumptuous thing to say. As a matter of fact, some of us care about this planet and don't use our car if we can avoid it.

  3. #63
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    51,142

    Default

    ^^^
    or just don't want one because in some cities, having a car is more of a hassle than anything else.
    i could have gotten a car when i was in geneva, but the thought never even crossed my mind. i could walk or bike anywhere and didn't have to worry about having to spend half an hour circling the neighbourhood to look for parking every time i took it out (most of the city is old buildings and they don't have parking), the city is a pain in the ass to drive in, etc, etc...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  4. #64
    Gold Member Janet296's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    926

    Default

    I live in New Orleans and you will love it. It will be HOT as hell though. DO NOT walk around at night alone!!! Do not go looking for drugs either. Nothing but trouble can come of it. Just about every place here has good food. Yes Commanders Palace is awesome but our cheap eats are great too. Please tip as well as you can. They don't make much money from their salary. Tips are how they pay the bills. Got to try gumbo. Chicken and sausage is my favorite. The special on every menu on Mondays is Red beans and rice. Go ahead and give it a try. Alcohol is served 24/7 here. You may or may not get carded. If you have Internet access, Zagats is a good guide for good eats all over the US. Cheap and expensive.

    Where are you staying at in New Orleans? I will tell you if it is a good area or not.
    Last edited by Janet296; June 23rd, 2009 at 03:51 PM.

  5. #65
    Gold Member Janet296's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    926

    Default

    I thought of something else, a good way to cut down on expenses is to split a meal. Not including expensive restaurants, American portion sizes are usually more than you can finish. So share every now and then.

  6. #66
    Elite Member McJag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    42,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janet296 View Post
    I thought of something else, a good way to cut down on expenses is to split a meal. Not including expensive restaurants, American portion sizes are usually more than you can finish. So share every now and then.
    This is the best idea! You will be amazed at the portions.
    Oh-did we say hot Boudin? Pork & rice sausage. A lot of corner groceries sell it-speecy spicy and wonderful! Also cheap.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

  7. #67
    Elite Member Novice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Beyond Caring, then hang a left.
    Posts
    41,595

    Default

    You had to mention rice & beans didn't you! mmmm..... I miss that! Guess what I'll be cooking tomorrow!
    Free Charmed.

  8. #68
    Elite Member Chalet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    13,082

    Default

    In NYC, all I ask is that if it's very late, please take a cab back to your hotel. Spend the money and be smart. There are pretty renovated townhouses and you might want to have fantastic southern style food at the famous Sylvia's or the best honey dipped chicken and waffles at Amy Ruth's.

    Read here:

    A Walk On Lenox Ave | The Vienna Review


    end of my story. Have a blast.

  9. #69
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    Id skip Tiajuana seriously. Do not go over the border there, it is really not safe and if you get into any trouble it is not easy to get back
    Yep, seriously, don't--it's like a war zone right now.

  10. #70
    Elite Member stef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    germany
    Posts
    11,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Hey Stef! In NYC, dont go into Central Park at night. It's fine during the day. Anywhere on the Upper East Side or Upper West side is safe to walk at night. If you have never been to NY, take the trip in the Circle Line, which is a boat that goes around manhattan...great views and a lot of information.
    thank you scooter, the trip in the circle line sounds great!


    Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Once you get to Santa Monica/Venice/Malibu - people do walk & walk a lot. There isn't much to see in Malibu - most of the houses in PCH face the sea so you only see tha back of them, The only way to see the front is to walk on the beach, below high tide mark - if you want to do this let me know & I'll tell you where the accesses are.
    thank you for all the links novice! oh, i didn't know that, i'd love to see the houses from the front!


    Quote Originally Posted by Janet296 View Post
    I live in New Orleans and you will love it. It will be HOT as hell though. DO NOT walk around at night alone!!! Do not go looking for drugs either. Nothing but trouble can come of it. Just about every place here has good food. Yes Commanders Palace is awesome but our cheap eats are great too. Please tip as well as you can. They don't make much money from their salary. Tips are how they pay the bills. Got to try gumbo. Chicken and sausage is my favorite. The special on every menu on Mondays is Red beans and rice. Go ahead and give it a try. Alcohol is served 24/7 here. You may or may not get carded. If you have Internet access, Zagats is a good guide for good eats all over the US. Cheap and expensive.

    Where are you staying at in New Orleans? I will tell you if it is a good area or not.
    i won't go looking for drugs, i promise.
    the hostel is located in south lopez street. if you tell me people get shot there i won't talk to you anymore.


    Quote Originally Posted by Janet296 View Post
    I thought of something else, a good way to cut down on expenses is to split a meal. Not including expensive restaurants, American portion sizes are usually more than you can finish. So share every now and then.
    that's a great idea, i didn't think of this!


    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    In NYC, all I ask is that if it's very late, please take a cab back to your hotel. Spend the money and be smart. There are pretty renovated townhouses and you might want to have fantastic southern style food at the famous Sylvia's or the best honey dipped chicken and waffles at Amy Ruth's.

    Read here:

    A Walk On Lenox Ave | The Vienna Review


    end of my story. Have a blast.
    thank you chalet! the article is great, but unfortunately i realize now that the joking about getting shot wasn't too far from reality.
    just in case we freak out and change the hostel, which neighborhood would be the safest?


    and thank you everyone else again!
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

  11. #71
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,776

    Default re

    When you get back we will expect you to write a thesis on the socioeconomics of public transit in the US and its relationship to the American psyche.

  12. #72
    Gold Member Janet296's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    926

    Default

    Stef I think you should be OK on South Lopez. All of my rules still apply! If it is the India house, then you are steps away from the street car line on Canal Street. Public transportation runs 24 hours. Late at night it might run less often than in the day. Fare is $1.25.
    If you are looking for a cheap supermarket, then Wal-Mart has one on Tchoupitoulas Street ( pronounced chop-i-two-less). They give the address as another street but it is near Tchoupitoulas and Jackson. That is the absolute lowest. Magazine is a good place to go for quirky shopping or looking. My favorite cheap place to eat is Juan's Flying Burrito. Now don't expect Bobby Flay to come pop out of the kitchen. This is not that kind of place. Lots of young people eat there. I love the quesadillas. Burritos are mostly rice but they are filling. The quesadillas are tasty and big. Also they are fairly cheap. You will not find New Orleans style food here. I live here so I do not want to eat red beans and rice or most of the other dishes that made New Orleans famous. I have grown tired of it.
    I want to add my opinion on Tijuana. At the moment Mexico is not very safe. Drug cartels are having a war there at the moment. If you are going there just to experience the Latino culture, you don't need to go there to get it. We have plenty right here in the USA. The closer you get to the border, the more you will see it. The food is outstanding also and very inexpensive.
    Last edited by Janet296; June 24th, 2009 at 10:29 AM.

  13. #73
    Elite Member stef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    germany
    Posts
    11,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    When you get back we will expect you to write a thesis on the socioeconomics of public transit in the US and its relationship to the American psyche.


    Quote Originally Posted by Janet296 View Post
    Stef I think you should be OK on South Lopez. All of my rules still apply! If it is the India house, then you are steps away from the street car line on Canal Street. Public transportation runs 24 hours. Late at night it might run less often than in the day. Fare is $1.25.
    If you are looking for a cheap supermarket, then Wal-Mart has one on Tchoupitoulas Street ( pronounced chop-i-two-less). They give the address as another street but it is near Tchoupitoulas and Jackson. That is the absolute lowest. Magazine is a good place to go for quirky shopping or looking. My favorite cheap place to eat is Juan's Flying Burrito. Now don't expect Bobby Flay to come pop out of the kitchen. This is not that kind of place. Lots of young people eat there. I love the quesadillas. Burritos are mostly rice but they are filling. The quesadillas are tasty and big. Also they are fairly cheap. You will not find New Orleans style food here. I live here so I do not want to eat red beans and rice or most of the other dishes that made New Orleans famous. I have grown tired of it.
    I want to add my opinion on Tijuana. At the moment Mexico is not very safe. Drug cartels are having a war there at the moment. If you are going there just to experience the Latino culture, you don't need to go there to get it. We have plenty right here in the USA. The closer you get to the border, the more you will see it. The food is outstanding also and very inexpensive.
    thank you so much janet! yes, it's the india house. it's great that the street car line isn't far away. with your & mcjag's eating recommendations, i think the only thing we're gonna do in new orleans is EAT!
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

  14. #74
    Elite Member Chilly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Trolltopia
    Posts
    29,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Hey Stef! In NYC, dont go into Central Park at night. It's fine during the day. Anywhere on the Upper East Side or Upper West side is safe to walk at night.
    That has changed significantly. I spent a night with a female friend in Central Park last year. We just stayed up drinking and wanted to see the sunrise.

    I have never felt safer. There was a lot of police present. A LOT. They didn't bother the lovers/ pot smokers/ drinkers, they just made sure nothing happened.

    Most of central Manhattan is safe to walk at night nowadays. At least that was my impression. Nothing happned to me. Ten years ago, different story.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-



  15. #75
    Elite Member stef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    germany
    Posts
    11,364

    Default

    hey everyone!
    i only have 10 minutes to go to the internet every day so unfortunately i couldn't/can't come here until i'm back home again.

    i just wanted to say that i'm fine and didn't get shot in harlem, just in case anzone was wondering.

    we're in memphis now and go to new orleans the day after tomorrow, the weather is KILLING me. i seriously don't know how people can live here.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •