Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I'm going to the U.S.

I would walk around Boston. It's not huge and sprawling, and there's a lot to see and do that you might miss if not on foot. Get some chowdah!

Walk around Vegas, too, but BRING WATER! Srsly. You'll pay like 3 bucks for bottled water if you forget to fill your own from the tap, and it will be hot and dry. My skin and hair loved it there, though! Don't take the bus in Vegas - monorails and trams, sure, but the regular bus took us about an hour and a half to go maybe 5km. I would have gotten out and walked but was with a big group.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Id skip Tiajuana seriously. Do not go over the border there, it is really not safe and if you get into any trouble it is not easy to get back
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

agree with tati about boston, it's a very beautiful, elegant city and there is so much to see, you have to walk around, otherwise you'll miss a lot of really cool stuff.
    cambridge is also gorgeous.
    now if you want a cheap place to stay (boston is really expensive), go to jamaica plain. it's a little bit outside the centre but you can still get there on the subway. and it's an awesome neighbourhood, full of art galleries and bookstores and studenty places, very laid back. it's become more gentrified (like all the cool neighbourhoods do) but it still has a different vibe to it from the rest of the city which can be a little bit preppy and uptight.
    and go have some seafood at the harbour. sure it's touristy as hell but you should do it once.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    Id skip Tiajuana seriously. Do not go over the border there, it is really not safe and if you get into any trouble it is not easy to get back
    Truly,now is not a good time. I don't want you to go either.

Where is Penny? We need a fake ID here. I mean! She is almost 21 anyway.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

i don't know about tijuana. personally i wouldn't hesitate to go but i speak the language and have travelled around latin america a lot, including 'dangerous' places. if you do your research and avoid the usual tourist mistakes, you should be fine.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I've heard Tijuana is a riot. My friend has begged me to go with her, but she goes a lot and knows her way around. Big difference.

Vegas public transportation is very good---and pretty cheap, much cheaper than taking taxi's.

Tijuana is dirty in my opinion. Yes you can drink at 18 so you will find tons of young people there and if you are looking for a party atmosphere you will certainly find it, but with that can come trouble, its crowded. Sure if you go there alot and kn ow your way around you would be better off. There is alot of shopping but nothing special, the same things you will find in any Mexican town. I didnt find it a riot, I thought it was creepy. I love parts of Mexico, and where I live its a short flight... I wouldnt go back to Tijuana tho.
    Last edited by cupcake; June 18th, 2009 at 11:57 AM.
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

You should be fine here in Boston...but bars are 21 plus. You can hit a club on 18+ night...sometimes they also have 18+ girls and 21 plus guys so that might help you.
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    Tijuana is dirty in my opinion. Yes you can drink at 18 so you will find tons of young people there and if you are looking for a party atmosphere you will certainly find it, but with that can come trouble, its crowded. Sure if you go there alot and kn ow your way around you would be better off. There is alot of shopping but nothing special, the same things you will find in any Mexican town. I didnt find it a riot, I thought it was creepy. I love parts of Mexico, and where I live its a short flight... I wouldnt go back to Tijuana tho.
    but Stef isn't going to have the chance to visit another part of Mexico - it looks like its Tijuana or nothing.... so its not like its YOU.

Stef - I went to Tij and found the poverty heartbreaking. We didn't do the bars thing since I was over 21.... (we won't talk about getting back into the US since my visa had expired.... whole different story). However, even so, even if you only go for the day, its an experience. Its is VERY different from the US tho, and I found the contrast very sharp.
    Free Charmed.

Elite Member

I live outside of Boston. It is a great city to walk in, and if you are in interested in history, you can do the Freedom trail (go on a tour or just grab a brochure and follow the red line on the pavement from the Boston Common (big public park). It is a compact little city with some nice public spaces. You can look on boston.com for restaurant reviews, including a 'Cheap Eats' section.

But compared to NY and New Orleans, things tend to close up earlier in Boston. Public transit is pretty good, but not at all hours.

Lack of good mass transit is a big difference between the US and Europe.

Tijuana is usually OK if you know what to expect (poverty, beggars, people trying to rip you off), especially if you are underage and want to get your drink on, but it can also be dangerous at the best of times. And this isn't the best of times in Mexico.

I would vote to skip Tijuana too but if you go DO NOT go to the Donkey show. I am still haunted by that and wished I never saw it.

DC should be pretty fun just stay away from Southeast at night. Use the metro as much as possible.

There are not too many cheap supermarkets. Food Lion is not too bad. Most of them are from DC down so you will see them in the south.

I pretty much would recommend you don't purchase or use any fake ids while here as they could actually get you arrested in some places. Other than that, keep your hands and feet inside the vehicle at all time and I hope you have a great time here!

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    Hope you have a great time! You're hitting a big portion of the country, hell, more than I have seen and I've lived here my whole life!
    you can join us if you want.
    but i've lived here my whole life, too, and i haven't seen much of it either, so you're not the only one. of course you can't really compare it because of the huge distances in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by missjuicy View Post
    your trip sounds amazing. i live a 5 min subway trip away from NYC if you ever need a tourguide!! LOL
    oh, be prepared, i'll get back to that!

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    New Orleans-French Quarter. MUST go to Cafe duMonde-right on the river. Must have beingets & cafe au lait-for good luck! Walk around Jackson Square-free entertainment,muscians playing,tap dancing,artists painting-it has it all! It will be sultry & hot,sundress is coolest, comfy shoes. People are friendly,watch out for purse snatchers-use fanny pack if you can. Police are friendly & helpful. If you look older at all,you can get away with ordering a drink. If they ask for ID,just say you forgot it. Order iced tea,anyway.Lots of cute shops. Must try: muffuleta sandwich(Nola Cuisine " Blog Archive " Muffuletta Sandwich Recipe.) Crawfish etoufee. Boudin sausage(pork & rice). If you can-Commander's Palace. For Sunday Brunch. This will be a splurge,worth it. About $45 apiece. Out of this world! If you order the Bloody Marys,try to get away with it. Order firmly & if asked about ID,raise your eyebrow & say you didn't think you would need it here ,of all places. Chances are great you won't be asked. Those Bloody Marys are to die for! Most little eating places will have red beans & rice for cheap-an NO go-to dish. Try to eat all the different Cajun stuff you can-seafood is great here. Everybody loves food,music,laughing.
    Oh! Do tip 20%.
    omg, i will have gained 10 pounds after that!

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Public transportation is scarce or inconsistent in a number of the cities you've listed. You'll be good in New York but other cities have limited public transport so you might require a rental car or lots of cab fare and walking if you really want to get around.
    that sucks. it's probably not different from the public transportation here... our hostels are always in the downtown area anyway, so i hope we can walk most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ugh, the whole 21 drinking age thing really pisses me off. that is one retarded law.
    i know! i feel like i'm 15 again! i don't know about the fake ID, though... i used to have one when i was under 18, but when we're that far away i don't want to get into any trouble.

is the drinking thing and being allowed to clubs different from state to state? because a saw a report on tv with some students under 21 who went to florida on spring break, and they were allowed to enter the clubs, but the securities marked their hands with a "x" so that they weren't able to buy alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    Stef, if you make it to DC, message me on here so I can guide you to fun spots
    that's so nice, if i can go to the internet every day i'll write you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    I would walk around Boston. It's not huge and sprawling, and there's a lot to see and do that you might miss if not on foot. Get some chowdah!
    okay, i had to look that one up on urban dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    but Stef isn't going to have the chance to visit another part of Mexico - it looks like its Tijuana or nothing.... so its not like its YOU.
    that's right, it's either tijuana or no mexico at all.
    i see there are different opinions about tijuana... i'm not sure about it either...

thank you all soooo much for all the infos so far. i really appreciate it!
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Elite Member

I can't be objective about Tijuana. I grew up in San Diego and my dad was a criminal defense lawyer. Some of his business came from having to get stupid gringos out of the Tijuana jail. He made sure I was too scared to ever go there to drink or do drugs.

It might be different now but I'd read up--maybe some internet travel sites--before going there.

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    I can't be objective about Tijuana. I grew up in San Diego and my dad was a criminal defense lawyer. Some of his business came from having to get stupid gringos out of the Tijuana jail. He made sure I was too scared to ever go there to drink or do drugs.

It might be different now but I'd read up--maybe some internet travel sites--before going there.
    See-that's my problem. I have one friend with a son in jail there. Accused of drug use,she says framed & I believe her. She has to keep a large stash of money to use as bribes,etc & money on hand if she has to fly there in the middle of the night. Just a friggin nightmare-and he just went on a week end trip. Not worth it-even if remote.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

There was an episode of 20/20 or one of those nighttime news shows that documented young people crossing over there to party and getting framed for things and ending up in jail, not a picnic for sure. Id spend the extra time in San Diego, you could spend almost the whole day at the zoo, and its a beautiful zoo
    Rip Mom

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information