Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: I prefer to book directly with hotels, but if you use Expedia, you may not want to

Awful! I have used Hotwire, but more recently we use the same hotel chain repeatedly to get points. I feel so bad for these people.

Quote Originally Posted by MmeVertigina View Post
    Awful! I have used Hotwire, but more recently we use the same hotel chain repeatedly to get points. I feel so bad for these people.
    I do too. If I was vacationing where they are, I'd certainly call them directly and make a reservation.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I'm very amused at reading this now, because I just had a talk a couple of days ago with a person from an employment agency who kept trying to push a job at Expedia on me. Even when I explained I found other employment, they kept insisting how Expedia was a "great" company that would look good on my CV. Riiiiight.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

I always use booking.com. It's quick, easy and I never had any problems (and I always book cheapest hotels). It's especially great when you are in a foreign country where you don't speak the language. It would have been impossible for me to book a room e.g. in Japan because often the staff didn't speak any English and I don't speak any Japanese. With booking.com I could just show the staff the confirmation on my cell phone and they handed me the key to the room.
    On one occasion I booked a horrible hotel for four days in Malaysia. They had major construction work going on and the hotel staff didn't want to allow us to cancel so we called booking.com and they took care of it. We only had to stay one night instead of four.

I don't get the point of Expedia's behaviour if it is true. So they rebook the guests to more expensive hotels to get bigger commissions and bill the cheaper hotel for the price difference. So who advances on the cash until the cheap hotel has paid for the difference? If Expedia pays for the expensive hotel they get a bigger commission but they risk that the cheaper hotel won't pay the price difference when they discover that they have been screwed over. And if they financially ruin the small hotels because they don't have any guests there is no chance at all that Expedia gets their advance for the price difference back.
    southernbelle likes this.

In the Luna case, Expedia doesn't "rebook" the guests, as I understood it. They just redirect them to a more expensive hotel. The small cheap hotel is getting cut out entirely, no one ever gets to the first step in booking because it looks like the hotel isn't available or doesn't have details. Might as well not exist.

*oops I understood wrong, I missed that paragraph. That's even more fucked.

Expedia? I will never do business with them again for any reason, any time, any where, under any circumstance, till the expiration of never ever.

Their *customer service* after they have extracted your [non refundable] money amounts to --zero--. They got your cash, now you can go fuck yourself on the other side of the world in a place where Expedia hopes you will rot and die. (and don't call them anymore, ok?)

Worst.Company.Ever.

Do not do business with Expedia. NO!

nononono, no
    Last edited by azoria; March 18th, 2013 at 05:47 AM.
    effie2 likes this.

To dilute the venom of my eternal hate for Expedia, I will however endorse the services of Booking.com.

Used Booking.com in south America (a rather non-traditional travel market) in fall 2012 and had great success with them. Their reviews were reasonably accurate, they were easy to get in touch with, their customer service was very good, budget options were broad, and all of my experiences with their services were successful. By personal experience I endorse Booking.com.

Alternately, I completely condemn Expedia in every way shape and form. Evil swindling shysters.

(BTW every time I go to my dentist in Bellvue WA, my bus goes right by the Expedia highrise. I find myself growling in contempt and anger at this building like a junkyard dog. May they be buried by an earthquake.)
    Last edited by azoria; March 18th, 2013 at 05:59 AM.
    effie2 likes this.

To be fair I will add a good story about Expedia that I know of.
    My sister and her husband used to live in different cities in the US and are always very busy with work so they actually mixed up the date for their trip to Playa del Carmen in Mexico. They showed up one day late at the airport. Expedia rebooked them for free and they could take the trip three months later.

I used booking.com mainly while in Europe recently and will rave about it until the cows come home. Got a great deal on a B&B in Rovaniemi, Finland with the sweetest B&B owners. Also really easy for hostels and stuff. Only had one iffy booking, where the hostel in Berlin was a good deal further out in the dodgy bits of East Berlin that it claimed to be on the site, but it was still pleasant enough (and for 25 euro a night, you get what you pay for?)

Looked at Expedia a lot and think I made and cancelled some bookings - the pay when you get there ones. No issues.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information