Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I need vacation ideas

I never ever wanted to go on a cruise but then went figuring it was an easy way to see some of Europe. No worries about where to stay, go and eat. So much to see in Europe we didn't know where to begin.

Last year I took my kids on a five day cruise in the Caribean. We had a ball snorkeling, riding jet skis and just walking in port. Cheap too as I booked the cheapest cabin and didn't spend much time in it anyways. I like being on the water and didn't get sea sick at all (thought I would). I'd love to be able to go again this year. I booked both of them through vacations to go after checking their on line site. I got a good deal as it was close to sailing date. Maybe tacky but we had fun.
    Last edited by B.C.; February 14th, 2009 at 12:05 AM.

Yeah, an american friend was like " let's go on a cruise! You can pig out at the buffet, play videogames, they have little malls in them..."

and i just sat there thinking "Uh, i can do all that HERE."

Why the fuck would you PAY to go on a floating slice of suburbia? Wtf?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I would also recommend Florida for a great tropical getaway. This November hubby and I flew into Miami and drove down the keys to Key West and it was pretty awesome. We stayed in Islamorada in a rented condo for about $500/week. The food is also really affordable and the people are really nice and accomodating. We only vacation in the tropics and hadn't tried out FL and we were sooo glad we decided to go there. It's tropical, the water is gorgeous and warm, and we felt very safe. Miami Beach is a blast and so is Key West but after dark you might want to take the kids back to the hotel because they REALLY get crazy down there at night (but in a fun way).
    "Bigfoot may well be an extraterrestrial because- remember Chewbacca?" - George Noory

^ I was in Panama City Beach in a rented condo, and it was gawgeous. White soft sand, clear blue water, it was lovely.

Of course, that was the first time I had seen or been in an ocean.. i think i hugged a palm tree.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Yea, I hear Key West is a riot. And the drive is awesome in itself from Miami.....

There's snorkeling and tons of stuff to do....

I have friends that have been to Key West, said it was awesome, very laid back, so it's definately on my list.

I have other friends that went to Costa Rica and said it was one of the best places she had ever been to, and she goes everywhere. Said it's not "touristy" like Cancun and such.

Costa Rica can be deadly.. my flight was delayed once for 2 hours cuz some guy coming back from Costa Rica got stung by a scorpion that had found its way into his backpack..

One of the most biodiverse places on earth

Elite Member

Here's a Florida island that I think looks nice:

Florida Island vacation resort and marina on Cabbage Key in Southwest Florida

I can't wait until my youngest is old enough to travel extensively! Oh, the fun we'll have! Right now we're limiting our vacations to the mountains and the beach. She turns 4 this month and we are already planning our Disney/Orlando trip with her. We took my son when he was 5.
    Last edited by travelbug; February 13th, 2009 at 03:03 PM.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

PUERTO RICO!

anything in the caribean would be awesome though, what a nice mom you are

[quote=hotncmom;1603045]Here's a Florida island that I think looks nice:

I've been to Cabbage Key many times, and it's great fun. Supposedly the song "Cheeseburger in Paradise" was wrote by Jimmy Buffett about the place. I'm sure it's folklore. But, I would only suggest Cabbage Key for lunch. The island is very small, and the cottages are very small too. There isn't anything else to do there except walk around a bit and eat. It's very cool how you can only get there by boat. Southwest Florida is a real bargain and a very beautiful place. Fort Myers Beach is wild at times, Sanibel/Captiva are some of the most beautiful islands. Gorgeous sandy white beaches. Don't miss the Bubble Room on Captiva Island.
    Fort Myers has the Edison/Ford Homes. Very interesting tour of their homes, grounds, labs.
    There is spring training baseball, among the many activities in SW Florida. I sound like a tour guide, but it's gorgeous and affordable. I'm all for keeping our tourism dollars in the USA. So important now, more than ever.
    Have a great & safe vacation where ever you decide to go.
    mama mia*
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. - William Arthur Ward

SW Florida is really nice. When I used to live in Central FL I'd drive down to the Ft. Myers, Clearwater, St. Pete area. Some of the state park beaches there were so beautiful, white sand and not crowded at all most of the time. I hate crowds so this was my personal haven, I'd go alone and it was bliss.

I'm all for keeping our tourism dollars in the USA.
    Good thinking.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

AHEM, puerto rico is the U.S.

and they're out of money in march btw

Bronze Member GossipJunkieBBFan's Avatar

Malta! It's gorgeous. They speak English. It's in Europe. I'm dying to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    Here's a Florida island that I think looks nice:

I can't wait until my youngest is old enough to travel extensively! Oh, the fun we'll have! Right now we're limiting our vacations to the mountains and the beach. She turns 4 this month and we are already planning our Disney/Orlando trip with her. We took my son when he was 5.
    Going to FLA this summer too but the kids don't want to go to Disney! I can't say I blame them. I wasn't impressed with it and I was 10. They said they would rather go to Sea World, Universal and the everglades! lol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information