Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How important is your city to you?

Hit By Ban Bus!

No John Mellencamp vid for you, eh Soj?

I think that's neat btw.

I would move for a new opportunity and have many times. However, as of now I feel like I'm not quite "done" with this city - I'd like to live in the heart of downtown again and to be honest I'd like to live here with a bit more disposable income, lol. I still need to finish my degree here so hopefully I'll get those chances. Then it will undoubtedly be on to new pastures.

If I go on to do a Master's we may look into another biggish city, if not we may even look overseas or move to the country somewhere depending on which career paths we take. I like the city, I like the country, I love exploring other cultures - the only thing I don't care for is the in-between - I wouldn't want to live in a smallish North American city again, nor in the 'burbs.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I grew up an army brat and have been moving all my life. I'd like to stay put now. I love Athens and it would have to be an extremely good opportunity for me to move. And still, I'd think long and hard about it because it would be extremely hard for me to leave my family and my boyfriend behind.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    I grew up an army brat and have been moving all my life. I'd like to stay put now. I love Athens and it would have to be an extremely good opportunity for me to move. And still, I'd think long and hard about it because it would be extremely hard for me to leave my family and my boyfriend behind.
    Me too! This is what I think most of you don't realize: what a treat it must be to live in the same city as your relatives! I have to drive hours just to see one! We all keep in touch anyhow, phone,computer,etc. But just to be able to run over for coffee or a real hug if you are down-that would be a dream come true.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

that's why i'm not moving McJag most of my family as annoying as they are, are within an hour from me cept Mel but we stay in touch as well. One of these day's i'm going to go visit her she's not that far lol. I love that my kids are getting the chance to know their grandma and great-grandma's, uncle's and so forth.
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    that's why i'm not moving McJag most of my family as annoying as they are, are within an hour from me cept Mel but we stay in touch as well. One of these day's i'm going to go visit her she's not that far lol. I love that my kids are getting the chance to know their grandma and great-grandma's, uncle's and so forth.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I ve spent a couple of years in the states back in my youth,and

some months at different European cities.
    Long enough for me to know,This is where i want to spend my remaining years.The more i travel,the more i love Athens.
    I ll keep travelling,of cource,and 3 months stay in Paris is plan A..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

GuvmentCheese

I only live about 30 miles from where I grew up (though it is quite different) and I like St Louis fine but I would move in a heartbeat for more money to a place that would interest me.

I've lived in the same town all my life (same goes for hubby) and my current house is about 2 miles away from the one I grew up in.

When considered moving when I got out of college, but never did.

Now that I have kids and they're in school & activities, we get free daycare & babystitting from relatives, we would never move. My husband and FIL are both coaching my sons' little league team, and I think it's so cool that my boys are so close to their grandpa. My grandfather lives out of state, so I see him 1-2 times per year. I could never take them away from all their aunts, uncles, cousins and friends.

We are considering moving at retirement, either wherever our boys live or just being snow birds.

I would do it. My boyfriend (I hate calling him that) and I were just getting ready for a big move from CA to Boston, but the offer fell through. I spent my childhood in a small little town outside of DC and left after college. I'm so glad that I did because I think it's easier to do it when you're younger and don't have kids to worry about. I've made huge moves every 6 - 8 years and I get antsy to do it every so often. I get bored, and as long as a company is paying for it, I'm ready to go again.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Sorry about that KrisNine. I was wondering a couple weeks ago whether you were actually moving or not.

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    I would move for a new opportunity and have many times. However, as of now I feel like I'm not quite "done" with this city - I'd like to live in the heart of downtown again and to be honest I'd like to live here with a bit more disposable income, lol. I still need to finish my degree here so hopefully I'll get those chances. Then it will undoubtedly be on to new pastures.

If I go on to do a Master's we may look into another biggish city, if not we may even look overseas or move to the country somewhere depending on which career paths we take. I like the city, I like the country, I love exploring other cultures - the only thing I don't care for is the in-between - I wouldn't want to live in a smallish North American city again, nor in the 'burbs.
    Is it true that if you do your graduate studies in the States your tuition gets subsidized?

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    Is it true that if you do your graduate studies in the States your tuition gets subsidized?
    I'm not sure. Do you mean through the government or just through the university? A lot of graduate programs essentially subsidize your tuititon through a stipend anyway, through the university. My fiance did a graduate program at U of Alberta where he earned about double his tuitition for the year, in addition to the income he made as a TA. But he was working under a professor at the time, who paid 2 or 3 grad students for their time and lab work - I think if you were doing a course-based (vs. thesis-based) Masters without a professor as your "benefactor", so to speak, you'd be on your own.

That's just speaking from the experiences of my SO and a few friends, though.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    Hell no. I live only 3 miles from the place I grew up and have no desire to move. I would like to stay in this city the rest of my life.

However...

I would like to have 4-6 months off every year..and plenty of money ...to travel extensively and spend some serious time in other parts of the world. But this place is home. And a 'better salary' would not be much of an incentive at all for me. It would have to be a very large amount of money.

* Oh and just because I have no desire to live in many different areas does not mean I am not an intelligent, well read, multi-faceted and overall fabulous person, thank you very much! *
    Sorry to say even the "magic number salary" doesn't even do it when you feel this way. This is what my husband did, got a lucrative opportunity he couldn't refuse (and I didn't want to make him refuse.) Now we're in Barcelona and I'm having a very hard time adjusting because I knew deep down that I did not want to leave the U.S.

But we went with the "we can always move back" theory in mind and now I'm starting to feel how hard and just how "off" it feels to be so far away from home. I feel so ungrateful when I admit that I'm kind of miserable because everyone else seems to think it's the greatest opportunity that I should be enjoying. But I'm just the sort of person who needs the comforts of home, of being close to friends and family, feeling like I belong somewhere. No amount of money can provide that.

I'm probably the only New Yorker that would move to Southern Calif. who isn't in show biz.

I could see myself living in Laguna Niguel where the sign on my office door says "At the beach, back at 3".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information