Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to fly coach in comfort

I flew Continental last weekend and received.... gasp.... food. Gratis. For free. Included in price of ticket. Nothing gourmet, mind you - but free food on an airline these days is as rare as a spotted owl (and may taste like one too - I didn't eat much).

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    I always feel bad for the people sitting near me, because I inevitably have to use the barf bag. I get motion sickness very easily, despite Dramamine, ginger and one of those things you strap on your wrist that sends little shocks up a nerve in your hand.
    I feel you. I tend to get motion sickness too, though I seriously think sometimes it may be mental, I think I'll get sick so my body gets sick. I also have one of those wrist straps that send pulses to your hand, and for me it works really good. It's one of those things that doesn't seem to work for a lot of people but works fine for me.

One medication that I also use as a precaution is scopace, it can be used as either a patch or taken in pill form. It's strong stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    at least they gave you an aisle seat when they traded your seat for the kid's.
    i prefer window too, even if i have to climb over someone every time i go pee. but i don't mind aisle if the only alternative is the dreaded middle seat.

i haven't flown continental in years but i remember it wasn't bad at all.
    i usually get stuck flying american airlines when i have to go through the US, because of schedules or dates or because it's substantially cheaper than the others and i'm the first to admit, i'm cheap when it comes to plane tickets. you might suffer a few hours but i'd rather pay less and then spend my money once i get to my destination. but i'm the first to admit AA are fucking awful. and their staff are always rude. or you get those condescending old bitches that call everyone 'hon' and 'sugar' and even their most hypocritical smile doesn't hide their massive case of bitchface.

and butt, i totally agree. i save my miles so i can upgrade to business on long flights. short flights in coach i don't mind but if you're spending 10 hours on a plane, flying business really does make all the difference in the world. i just refuse to pay for it.
    LOL! I only fly AA (due to location, cost etc), and I've never had a bad experience (yet). Virgin were horrible, really horrible. I've never flow contiental tho mainly because I've heard such terrible things about their tardiness and I usually have a connection to catch that I don't want to risk it.

Last time I flew AA the steward asked me if my book was as good as the film. I gave it to him when I finished it (he'd said he was going to get it) and he was really touched. The women were nice too - really nice which I was surprised about since our connection was late & they'd held the plane for us.

Sput - don't you get any free flights with your work?
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post

Sput - don't you get any free flights with your work?
    only if i'm travelling for work or when i get transferred. but when i'm going on holidays and stuff, no.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

That was what I was thinking.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    I always feel bad for the people sitting near me, because I inevitably have to use the barf bag. I get motion sickness very easily, despite Dramamine, ginger and one of those things you strap on your wrist that sends little shocks up a nerve in your hand.
    this is me, exactly! i used a barf bag on every flight between san jose, ca & cozumel, mexico when we went on our honeymoon last year. it totally sucked.

i was always the kid that was carsick, too.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    I flew Continental last weekend and received.... gasp.... food. Gratis. For free. Included in price of ticket. Nothing gourmet, mind you - but free food on an airline these days is as rare as a spotted owl (and may taste like one too - I didn't eat much).

I've always been curious about airline food. The longest flight I've ever been on was just under 5 hours and we got a hot lunch of a chicken sandwich, a roll, and a fruit cup along with a drink of our choosing. It didn't suit me well since I was a staunch vegetarian at the time (nowadays I'll eat the occasional piece of chicken or turkey) but it was the first and only time I ever got food on a flight. There's a website for reviewing airline meals and some of the stuff some airlines serve look positively gourmet.

And about the people prone to airsickness.. I was on a flight with my class during high school and a classmate sitting right next to me got airsick... oatmeal raisin granola bar and gatorade all over the place. I felt terrible for her... the stewardess was very kind to her, though.

There is a place near us that makes it....

The one thing that annoied me was flying transatlantic - the normal service on the atlantic bit - then transfering to a trans-US service and everything was to pay for. It was quite off-putting, and also surprising as there was no warning (and it wasn't a "no frills" flight).
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Lane View Post
    I've always been curious about airline food. The longest flight I've ever been on was just under 5 hours and we got a hot lunch of a chicken sandwich, a roll, and a fruit cup along with a drink of our choosing. It didn't suit me well since I was a staunch vegetarian at the time (nowadays I'll eat the occasional piece of chicken or turkey) but it was the first and only time I ever got food on a flight. There's a website for reviewing airline meals and some of the stuff some airlines serve look positively gourmet.
    ^ We got weird as hell stuff on an Air Transat flight... and way too much of it. It's like they just kept adding random stuff to the meal tray... a roll, crackers, butter, cheese spread, savory herb spread, cookies, a chocolate, a mint, juice, milk, tea - all in addition to the meal. I liked the one time I was able to pre-select a meal and chose a fresh fruit plate.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Tati - next time you book a flight ask for it - I used to get no food when I was a veggie til I bitched to my friend who was a travel agent - she said to ask for it when I booked my flight and then its all done. It works a treat, you might need to "make yourself known" to the staff on the flight (like when they ask where certain passengers are?).
    Free Charmed.

Via rail has recently improved their food.. you can get all sorts of veggies and cheese and probiotic yogurt..
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

SVZ

You can request a meal when you book your ticket...

Like vegetarian, low sodium, low cholesterol, halal, kosher, etc.

I always get low sodium or kosher since it's better than the regular airplane food, and you get served like 30 minutes before anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    You can request a meal when you book your ticket...

Like vegetarian, low sodium, low cholesterol, halal, kosher, etc.

I always get low sodium or kosher since it's better than the regular airplane food, and you get served like 30 minutes before anyone else.
    You can sometimes. Last time I flew with Air Canada they had a form to request a meal, and then nothing came of it. They served nothing. Sometimes it's a big lie!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

SVZ

tbh though i haven't noticed a change when flying..and i've been doing it all my life...the only thing that's changed are that plane tickets are cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    You can sometimes. Last time I flew with Air Canada they had a form to request a meal, and then nothing came of it. They served nothing. Sometimes it's a big lie!
    I guess its more difficult when its the styrofoam-sandwich....
    Free Charmed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information