Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Help with a French translation and Airbnb tips

I dont watch tv at all for the last 4 years,but for the 20 nights we spent in an Airbnb flat in Paris we needed a tv for the football World cup matches in the afternoon before we went out or the late night games.My folks had lots of fun with the French ads.
    There were some rules from our host,but we met on arrival and fell in love.He left for me the sweetest review and he wants me back anytime.I reviewed him too and so far i ve sent over two pairs to him.He really looked after them.I will book with him next time for sure.Tati,satisfied quests is your best ad.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

What I really like about renting places out this way (and there are a lot of things, but one of my favourites) is that it's constantly evolving. We start a little bit spartan, partly for financial reasons as well as to get a feel for what people really want, and then build on it over time. It's nice to keep slowly adding extras like art, nice cooking oils and vinegars, lots of throws, more high-end small appliances, patio furniture for the balcony... there's a basic coffee maker now but I'd love to add an espresso machine and I was thinking about stocking things like flavoured syrups and such (I have a bunch of extra syrup pumps - don't ask me why). I like including local touches too, like locally roasted coffee, maple syrup, takeout menus, local candies. Interestingly, people also leave things, like entire boxes of pasta and bags of flour.

So we've started making our own wine and my husband was wondering if there would be any value in stocking some over there and allowing people to purchase it with an honour system. Weird, or cool?

*eta - moving this to Random Advice. Nope, scratch that, Little Big World

Effie, I envy that host very much. We do get a lot of rave reviews, but the biggest roadblock for me is probably my shyness. I don't know if I can ever be that charming, exuberant person that strangers fall in love with. I get nervous and feel like I ramble on too much and sometimes say the wrong thing. And I'm never sure how much interaction the guests would like from us (they know we don't live on site anymore, so there's that). If I were the guest I'd want to be left to my own devices, but I don't want people thinking we're cold and just after their money.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

^^^^
    that would be awesome. one of the best hotels i ever stayed in was this über-rustic little place in a tropical mangrove that had electricity for only 2 hours a day, a few bungalows and main cabin thing full of hammocks, books, board games, etc. everything was on the honour system. if you grabbed a beer or soda from the fridge, you wrote it down on your page in the big communal binder. if you took a kayak out, you wrote down how long you took it for (they charged by the hour), etc. it was really cool and it gave the place a really great, communal vibe.
    Tati likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Mind you,our host was a 40ish Turkish man and with us being Greeks you d think it would have been weird.But,secret is there was lots of interaction before,mails and stuff,we shared jokes and then i asked him to treat me just like he would his mother.I knew him being Turkish ,this will touch him and it did.He was worried about my long trip and texted me twice to make sure we were fine.Once he showed us around he left.I had his number if something was needed and we met again once before he came to get his keys.He was happy to find the flat cleaner than ever,the fidge full and lots of brochures around.as a quest i was good and he was a good host.You just have to be friendly and make them feel safe and like you ll be there for them in case they need you!
    yanna likes this.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information