Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Getting rid of stuff

Everyone had great ideas. You're still resistant and that's fine. You have to remove the emotion from the pieces that aren't going to family or friends. I do this with clients when they just can't let go or make room - it takes three times to finish and get it out. Each box of stuff that you think you want to keep has to be purged three times. Each time it won't mean as much and will feel like a burden.

Great advice Chalet. Will you come handle my packing for business trips? Those damn bags keep getting heavier.
    shedevilang likes this.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

You've already gotten a lot of great advice. I just wanted to add something.

You have had things in storage for 10 years and for 28 years. You might not even remember what is in those units. No one is enjoy anything you have. Plus, think of all the money you will save by not paying all the storage fees. You need to get to those storage units and choose about 3-5 special items and then sell the rest. Use an auction house. In the end it's just stuff. I doubt your long departed relatives would want you to be staying up at night stressing over their old stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    When my mom died two years ago, I was faced with what to do with it all, and selling her place. It's definitely not easy going through a loved one's possessions and deciding what to keep and what to let go, from the sentimental (my mom kept every card anyone ever gave her it seemed, and I still have boxes of pictures to sort through) to the good, expensive items (furniture, china) that you have no room for and will never use. We were planning to have an estate sale, but the house sold in a week and we had to get everything out. The estate sale firm I was working with ended up wholesaling everything out to one buyer, which brought less money than I had anticipated, but it also took a huge load off my shoulders. I think in the long run, it was easier because I wasn't faced with going back there and agonizing over what to leave and what to keep. I made those decisions quickly and just had to put the rest out of my mind and move on. I still have plenty of things in my home that belonged to my mom and will always remind me of her when I see or use them. The rest of it was just stuff, from someone else's life.
    This is pretty much what I did, except my mom died 7 years ago. I had an infant at the time, and would have had to commute from Orange County to San Diego to go through her stuff, with nobody to watch the baby while I did so. It was so much easier to hire an estate sale firm to do it for me.
    Last edited by I'mNotBitter; April 3rd, 2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information