Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: European vacation! Need ideas for stuff to see

A*O

It's Piccadilly Circus, not Square [/pedant] and it's not all that anyway. Just a busy traffic intersection with a fountain in the middle. Trafalgar Square is bigger, lots of pidgeons, Nelson's Column, National Gallery, etc.

All you need is a good map of central London and get around using the Tube - easy peasy. If you like museums head for South Kensington where the Natural History, Science, Victoria and Albert museums are all located next to each other. It's near Harrods too.

Don't bother with Belgium, spend more time in Paris.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    . . .

Don't bother with Belgium, spend more time in Paris.
    belgium is a cool place to go, i wouldn't blow it off if you have the opportunity. if you have limited time, i would skip antwerp (nice but not mandatory) but brussels and bruges are pretty cool. both have a lot to see and the food in brussels is really good. not as good as paris but better than london. *ducks*

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

wow awesome, im so jealous of you all and Grimm for all that you know about these places someday I shall go too w/ some time and $$$

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    In Edinburgh, I would just spend some time walking around, shopping, window-shopping, stopping in cafes, etc. Head to Candlemaker Row/Grassmarket/George Street area and just soak it in. Check out the Royal Mile stretch as well. There are charming streets and storefronts, great shops, and, yes, even good food, coffee, and of course, pubs. There is some good clubbing, including a few gay clubs.

Bring your camera, there are a lot of great shots waiting to be taken, the closes connecting streets and whatnot. You could check out the castle and museums if that interests you. I don't remember being particularly excited by the castle, but then I tend to prefer the crumbling ruined ones.
    This I liked the castle, there's also the Edinburgh dungeons if you like spooky stuff. There are tons of great places to visit maybe an hour or two outside of Edinburgh if you fancy a wee bus trip, lots of crumbly castles, burial cairns, battlefields and other interesting historical stuff. Avoid Bannockburn though if you head to Stirling, super dooper boring (although it is fun to try on the armour and swing the claymores around in the museum). Glasgow has better shopping than Edinburgh if you're looking to shop, but the touristy stuff is far better in the 'burgh. Fabulous restaurants in Edinburgh too, I would recommend The Kitchin in Edinburgh or Jamie's Italian in Glasgow. Visit Scotland is a great site full of info too. Visit Scotland - Edinburgh and Lothian

Brighton's the gay capital of the UK! I haven't been yet but I've heard it's great for a night out. I love London, I've visited loads of times. Get yourself an Oyster card for the tube, a good tourist map and you'll be good to go. You can also pre-book tickets for the big attractions and get money off if you book more than one, I hear the Tower and a flight on the Eye are both good, haven't done those yet. As Sarzy suggested Covent Garden is lovely, the market is great and there are lovely coffee shops and performers to enjoy. Trafalgar Square is nice too, I would just drive past Picadilly Circus there's really nothing there. Take in a theatre show or two as well, what's a trip to London without going to the theatre.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Edinburgh has Mary King's Close which could have been neat if it hadn't been so "touristied" with all the paranormal crap. There's a walled up underground medieval street. That's cool enough as is without all the "hear the pitiful cries of this ghostly child" rubbish. My eyes nearly rolled out of my head.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

^ Yes! I liked the underground vault tour we went on, but the man who hosted it was very tongue-in-cheek and there was whiskey at the end.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

How did I miss this thread? If you are in London, go to the smaller museums too - the Wallace Collection is lovely. You can go inside some of Buckingham Palace and Kensington Palace. Have hot chocolate at Paul's. For atmosphere, go to Highgate Cemetery and book a tour of the crumbling west side. Look out for the vampire!

Brighton is going to be so cold and windy at this time of year but go to The Lanes for the quirky shopping.

In Paris, I love the Musee d'Orsay and Rodin Museum. Also it's nice to walk around the Tuileries Gardens. At Pere Lachaise cemetery in Paris, you also have to see Jim Morrison's memorial even if it is fenced off these days. You will recognise it by the guard! And there are other famous and spectacular tombs as well including Edith Piaf, Chopin, de Balzac, Colette.

Oscar Wilde ,Maria Kallas ,Y.Montan ,and on and on.but i really liked the anonymous graves.The cemetary is fantastic..
    My favorite spot in Paris is The Il de la Site..i can sit in that little garden for hours watching the river..
    In London i Love Nothing Hill and i thin Picadilly Circus is stupid,i mean you go there and think,this is IT?
    Have fun in the old world Grimmy!
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Not sure if you are a beer fan (I'm not), but Belgium has some of the best beer in the world. There is a trappist brewery there, Westvleteren. It is suppose to have the best beer in the world and it's very hard to get outside of Belgium.

I went to some interesting museums in Paris, including the Cluny Museum which was not nearly as crowded. Still, if you've never been you have to go to the Louvre and to Musee de Orsay. I do recommend not doing all the museums in one day. I tended to get "art overload" and stopped caring about the masterpieces that I walked by. Versailles (I think) is worth the train ride and the lines. It is pretty mind blowing when you consider all that opulence contrasted against the rest of France at the time.

Also, if you are going anytime soon you won't have nearly as much trouble with tourists, lines, etc. as you won't be in Europe during the peak season.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information