Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Do you like the place you live?

pffff... amateurs. bad highlights too. and dark roots.
    they probably have the herpz too though if chilly has anything to do with that, there's already lots of that going around in deutschland.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

That's it, I've had it with you, Sputti! I hereby infect you with the internet herpes.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

^^^
    i already had it. so i'm invincible, meine liebling.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I hate where I live. In fact, I really don't care for California at all. It's a bit over-rated if you ask me. I feel like I live in the movie Groundhog Day. You wake up to the same weather day in and day out. Dry, 70, sunny. It may sound nice, but after a while it's like the whole state has been given a Stepford wife treatment. I would love a change in season one day

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^
    i already had it. so i'm invincible, meine liebling.
    But how you like the atrocity of a nickname I gave you? Doesn't that hurt at all?
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

^^^
    lol it sounds like a good name for a swiss-german dog
    unfortunately my german has gone to hell and i don't know if it actually means anything...

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    As long as you are gainfully employed, you employer furnishes your insurance for not so much money. I say Texas-I have lived all over including Germany. Dallas is fun and friendly with lots to do all year round! Give it a think!
    I live in Dallas too and I love it. VIVA DALLAS!

I love where I live. Athens, that is. It's huge (over 4 million people) the traffic jams are insane, it's polluted, the weather is mostly hot in the summer and there are only two seasons (kinda cold and bloody hot). But I just love it. I wouldn't really recommend it for anyone who might want to emigrate. We have shitty immigration laws and just about everyone just comes illegally anyway. And it would be hard to learn Greek. But I love the food, the people, the vibe of the city. I love all the things going on all the time. And I just love living in Greece. I've lived in other places but I find it hard to imagine myself living in another country for long.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    I love where I live. Athens, that is. It's huge (over 4 million people) the traffic jams are insane, it's polluted, the weather is mostly hot in the summer and there are only two seasons (kinda cold and bloody hot). But I just love it. I wouldn't really recommend it for anyone who might want to emigrate. We have shitty immigration laws and just about everyone just comes illegally anyway. And it would be hard to learn Greek. But I love the food, the people, the vibe of the city. I love all the things going on all the time. And I just love living in Greece. I've lived in other places but I find it hard to imagine myself living in another country for long.
    And there is life in the city almost around the clock..driving at 3 in the morning and people out having fun,tavernas,clubs ,coffee shops..
    In big European cities,everything shuts down so early..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

That's what I like about Cologne, only one million people live there, but there are always people in the streets at every time of the day. And you can get a Kebab at 4am Wednesday morning. When the first sun beams come out at the beginning of spring, everyone grabs a chair and calls it a café. People are everywhere. Same in Berlin, such a vibrant city. But the winters in Berlin are way too Moscow-ish. Cologne has comparibly mild winters.
    -Bugdoll-

Μy son visited Cologne some years back ,at some Anti something rallye,he spent almost a month there and he loved it.
    He told us about the kebab,mostly Turkish owned..
    He said it mixes perfectly the German order and cleaniness with the easy attitude of the Balkans..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

I visited Cologne about 10 years back now. It was the first stop on my European exchange, and we were really early so we wound up wandering the streets for a couple hours just shopping and seeing the city on our own. Most of us hadn't thought to bring any German currency with us for when we landed, so we had to find a bank. I will never forget how NICE the people in the city were. One woman didn't really speak a whole lot of English and our German was very limited. She walked with us trying to help us find someone who spoke English, and then that person didn't just tell us where to find a bank, but they walked us there.

Where I live? It's a suburb. It isn't the worst thing ever except that there is nothing open past 9PM, so there's never anything to do at night.

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    You're going to be smack bang in the middle of SJ and myself, Honey. We're going to play "hide the sausage" with you.. you'll be the sausage
    Poor poor Honey. She wont make it through the night alive...

I'm living (if you could call it that) in Austin currently, as I've mentioned before. The culture is amazing... WHEN I venture out into the city. Suffice it to say, I've spent the majority of my months here in my little campus-area bubble... and it gets old very fast. There's what we call 'The Drag'... it's got some nice shops, odd people, musicians, weirdos... but nothing like the downtown area... it's so fascinating and multi-faceted, but unfortunately I only go over there maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks.. .

As far as where I'm from... home is south Texas. Completely different culture... small for a city, big for a town... 150,000 pop... right next to Mexico... totally different approach to certain things like alcohol, immigration, education, politics, etc. I miss it, but I don't. It'll always be home, but I dont think I could stand to live there for extended periods of time. You can live really well for really cheap... we lived in a 4000 sf house before my parents split up and it cost about $300,000... resaca (small lake-type thing), pool, huge backyard, gazebo and boat dock, private, gated community. There's also the flip side though... lots of poverty in certain areas of town. The cost of education is very cheap too... privately educated all my life and I think the most expensive my tuition was was about $6000 a year, as compared to some schools which cost $15-20K.

Can't say I miss it terribly, though. I do wish I lived somewhere else, though... I'd love to live in Chicago.

ETA:

This is downtown Austin...

This is where I usually spend most of my days...

And this is home...

Last edited by Penny Lane; January 23rd, 2008 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    Μy son visited Cologne some years back ,at some Anti something rallye,he spent almost a month there and he loved it.
    He told us about the kebab,mostly Turkish owned..
    He said it mixes perfectly the German order and cleaniness with the easy attitude of the Balkans..
    EXACTLY! People are so open minded and easy going, I love it. Just a way of life that's difficult to find anywhere else in Germany. People there just have a way of enjoying life that was unknown to me before I moved there. They call it "the most Northern city of Italy."

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday View Post
    I visited Cologne about 10 years back now. It was the first stop on my European exchange, and we were really early so we wound up wandering the streets for a couple hours just shopping and seeing the city on our own. Most of us hadn't thought to bring any German currency with us for when we landed, so we had to find a bank. I will never forget how NICE the people in the city were. One woman didn't really speak a whole lot of English and our German was very limited. She walked with us trying to help us find someone who spoke English, and then that person didn't just tell us where to find a bank, but they walked us there.
    Another "EXACTLY!" That is entirely my experience and when people ask me what's special about Cologne, that is it. People love taking care of strangers. It's their thing. They are so proud of their city, they want to show it to everyone right away. They are so proud of it, they wrote a million songs about it. And they have their own language, too. Took me years to understand anyone.

I moved there ten years ago and it's the first place I ever called home. I grew up in the North of Germany and people there are down right rude. They will not talk to each other, no matter what. In Cologne, on the other hand.... I was never lonely there, not for one minute.

Great, now you made me homesick, girls. I'm gonna go cry now.
    -Bugdoll-

Sorry to make you homesick Chilly. That's one of the stories I love to share about that trip though. Nowhere else in the world would you find people so willing to help out foreigners. In Chicago no one would even stop to talk, let alone walk you to the nearest bank.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information