Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you like the place you live?

A*O emigrated to Aus, I'm sure she will tell you all about it.

I really don't like warm weather so England suits me I would like to move to Scotland oneday, meet a hot Scottish guy in a kilt

Quote Originally Posted by ducki View Post
    Hmm, when does it get dark in Canada in winter? What really bothers me in Germany is that it is ALWAYS dark and grey. I don't dislike winter, but winter in Germany seems to be from October till March. It's not really cold where I live, it doesn't snow either, it's just dark and grey all the time and it's raining a lot. I hate this kind of weather, I find it so depressing. When I come home at 4 p.m. in winter it's already pitch black and I feel like the day is already over although there so many awake hours left. I think winter is nice when it's snowing and the sky is blue. How are taxes for your salary in Canada, the US, Australia or New Zealand? I couldn't find out. In Germany the state takes about half of the money you earned. As long as I am a student I don't have to pay any taxes on my income but when I have to, I will feel robbed! I know, we can afford a pretty good welfare system by all these taxes, but sometimes I think it's going too far. Why does the state buy unemployed people TVs, radios, furniture and stuff? As a student I am poor, too but neither would I get such benefits from the state nor would I have the guts to make such claims. It would be pretty strange to me to demand from the tax payer to give me a TV as I can't afford one. I'd rather pay less taxes and keep more of my OWN money and drop certain welfare benefits.
    It depends where you live. The place I mentioned is dark during the winter sun from 9am to 5pm, but in the summer, damn, it's light until 10pm with twighlight lasting til 11pm! sun up again at 5am! Gotta say, best fishing ever!
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Another thing to remember is that compared to the US, Europe is way farther NORTH-so less sun in the winter. It gets cold here in the winter in Ohio, but we are about as far south as Madrid-so it is not quite as dark.

It is not so bad here. Large city CBD only 20 miles away. Distinct seasons and all. Not too cold really(compared to others like those in Canada..*brrr*. Economy here in Central Ohio better than most places in the North and East. Plus midway between Cedar Point and Kings Island!

Do NOT move to Flaw-duh or Texas! They have GUNS GALORE! and are too conservative!!!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

I'm from Germany and I'd love to leave the country at least just for a while or forever. It's not that I think Germany sucks but I don't think it's the best place for me to live. I'd like to live somewhere where the sun is shining more often, where it's not that cold and rainy all the time and where people are a bit friendlier. But I don't know where this place could be...Well, I could only move to countries where English is the main language because I'm too lazy to learn a new language I was in the USA once, in Florida, and I really liked it. People are friendly, nature is just awesome and everything is so big (the streets, the parks, the houses) that you feel sorta free but on the other hand I don't think I could live in the USA because I don't want to worry about stuff like health insurance (the health insurance thread on this board really scared me off...700$ for health insurance, WTF?!) or being able to send my kids to college and I don't think it is a good idea to allow everyone to have a waepon. So the only countries left that come to my mind for emigrating are Australia or New Zealand. I really like the strict immigration restrictions which Germany lacks and nature seems just lovely.
    So how about you? Are you happy where you live or do you feel the need to explore the world for better places? Did anyone of you dare to emigrate? Was it difficult to adjust?
    No offense, but as someone who wants to become an immigrant that is an odd stance. You want to leave your country, but others who want to do the same bother you? If you really do emigrate, you will find out that this attitude can be really hurtful - if you're on the other side of the equation.

Additionally, you won't profit from those strict immigration laws in NZ or Australia. It's more likely that they are to your disadvantage, considering that you will be an immigrant yourself.

Other than that, my main advice to you is to travel to countries you are interested in and invest some time in getting to know them well. There is much more to a country than the language and the climate.

Why does the state buy unemployed people TVs, radios, furniture and stuff? As a student I am poor, too but neither would I get such benefits from the state nor would I have the guts to make such claims.
    Wow, again pretty antisocial and ignorant, sorry. As a student you get a free education in Germany. If you want to, you can go to university as long as you want, way into your 30s. And all you pay is 1100 Euro a year! That costs the state A LOT of money. Much more than the 345 Euros a months a person on welfare receives! Also as a student in Germany, you enjoy 26 years of generous child support and free medical care. You already had the guts to make such claims. And now that you cashed in you want to leave, because paying back what you received is too expensive.

That's your business, but don't pass judgement on others. Do you know a family who lives on welfare? Or a single mother? Because I do and it's not enjoyable. The state stopped paying for TV and other luxury items years ago. Ever since Hartz IV was passed, it has been 345 Euro plus rent. Even for people who worked 35, 40 years and payed hundreds of thousands in taxes.

I can absolutely tell that you haven't gotten to know much of the world. Try getting that spoiled abroad. I see your point, I'm freezing, too, and I tend to leave Germany frequently, but I'd never complain like that. I definitely know better.
    Last edited by Chilly Willy; January 22nd, 2008 at 04:31 PM.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Silver Member

I know that there's more than climate and the language. If so, I'd move to Belize, the weather is great and everybody speaks English, but I doubt I'd find a job there. But the language is important. Moving to a foreign country is exciting enough, and a little bit scary, so I'd really appreciate to be able to communicate properly. I wouldn't move anywhere before knowing the country and before I have been there for a while.
    And concerning the immigration restrictions: I was in at the home pages of several countries and if you want to immigrate to New Zealand or Australia for example you at least have to make sure that you will work there and speak the language fairly well. I don't think that's a tall order. (I'm not talking about asylum seekers who need to flee from their countries. Of course every country should offer them shelter, without demanding that they work immediately or speak the language) And of course I already checked if I fullfill the immigration requirements, did the language test and tested if I would get enough points together.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ducki
    I'm from Germany and I'd love to leave the country at least just for a while or forever. It's not that I think Germany sucks but I don't think it's the best place for me to live. I'd like to live somewhere where the sun is shining more often, where it's not that cold and rainy all the time and where people are a bit friendlier. But I don't know where this place could be...Well, I could only move to countries where English is the main language because I'm too lazy to learn a new language I was in the USA once, in Florida, and I really liked it. People are friendly, nature is just awesome and everything is so big (the streets, the parks, the houses) that you feel sorta free but on the other hand I don't think I could live in the USA because I don't want to worry about stuff like health insurance (the health insurance thread on this board really scared me off...700$ for health insurance, WTF?!) or being able to send my kids to college and I don't think it is a good idea to allow everyone to have a waepon. So the only countries left that come to my mind for emigrating are Australia or New Zealand. I really like the strict immigration restrictions which Germany lacks and nature seems just lovely.
    So how about you? Are you happy where you live or do you feel the need to explore the world for better places? Did anyone of you dare to emigrate? Was it difficult to adjust?

No offense, but as someone who wants to become an immigrant that is an odd stance. You want to leave your country, but others who want to do the same bother you? If you really do emigrate, you will find out that this attitude can be really hurtful - if you're on the other side of the equation.

Additionally, you won't profit from those strict immigration laws in NZ or Australia. It's more likely that they are to your disadvantage, considering that you will be an immigrant yourself.

Other than that, my main advice to you is to travel to countries you are interested in and invest some time in getting to know them well. There is much more to a country than the language and the climate.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ducki
    Why does the state buy unemployed people TVs, radios, furniture and stuff? As a student I am poor, too but neither would I get such benefits from the state nor would I have the guts to make such claims.

Wow, again pretty antisocial and ignorant, sorry. As a student you get a free education in Germany. If you want to, you can go to university as long as you want, way into your 30s. And all you pay is 1100 Euro a year! That costs the state A LOT of money. Much more than the 345 Euros a months a person on wellfare receives! Also as a student in Germany, you enjoy 26 years of generous child support and free medical care. You already had the guts to make such claims. And now that you cashed in you want to leave, because paying back what you received is too expensive.

That's your business, but don't pass judgement on others. Do you know a family who lives on wellfare? Or a single mother? Because I do and it's not enjoyable. The state stopped paying for TV and other luxury items years ago. Ever since Hartz IV was passed, it has been 345 Euro plus rent. Even for people who worked 35, 40 years and payed hundreds of thousands in taxes.

I can absolutely tell that you haven't gotten to know much of the world. Try getting that spoiled abroad. I see your point, I'm freezing, too, and I tend to leave Germany frequently, but I'd never complain like that. I definitely know better.
    You make some excellent, excellent points, Chilly. It does seem odd that someone who wants to emmigrate would have issues with immigration. But then I suppose those issues might have something to do with race and/or colour.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Chilly,girl,Brava,once again....
    It would be a blessing for every country if the ones finding fault with the system or climate or whatever,just move out..
    I love my place with a passion,i could never live anyplace else.
    That doesnt stop me wanting some months in Paris....
    I know there are better places out there,but Greece is home to me.
    And ,honestly,it is beautiful.
    There are things we could have in here,but i wake up in the morning,the sky is so blue and the Parthenon shines,and i am good.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

I know that there's more than climate and the language. If so, I'd move to Belize, the weather is great and everybody speaks English, but I doubt I'd find a job there. But the language is important. Moving to a foreign country is exciting enough, and a little bit scary, so I'd really appreciate to be able to communicate properly. I wouldn't move anywhere before knowing the country and before I have been there for a while.
    And concerning the immigration restrictions: I was in at the home pages of several countries and if you want to immigrate to New Zealand or Australia for example you at least have to make sure that you will work there and speak the language fairly well. I don't think that's a tall order. (I'm not talking about asylum seekers who need to flee from their countries. Of course every country should offer them shelter, without demanding that they work immediately or speak the language) And of course I already checked if I fullfill the immigration requirements, did the language test and tested if I would get enough points together.
    My point is, you complain about immigrants, but want to be an immigrant yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    You make some excellent, excellent points, Chilly. It does seem odd that someone who wants to emmigrate would have issues with immigration. But then I suppose those issues might have something to do with race and/or colour.
    Yep, sounds like it. "NZ is great, they don't let in the dark people like those stupid Germans do. In my case it's cool, but then again, I'm not dark. Or poor. Or whatever the problem is."

Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    It would be a blessing for every country if the ones finding fault with the system or climate or whatever,just move out..
    There are things we could have in here,but i wake up in the morning,the sky is so blue and the Parthenon shines,and i am good.
    I thought about leaving Germany permanently many times, because the climate makes me suicidal. But complain about its social system? I've seen enough of the world to be embrassed to do that.

It's ungrateful to profit from Germany's generous social system for two and a half decades or longer and then leave, because the social system is too generous.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post

No, it has nothing to do with race or colour. Honestly. So do you think the whole country of Australia is racist just because there are restrictions? I just think it's a good contribution to the economy and to integration if you are fully involved in the everyday-life of your new country. At work you will meet new people, make friends and be integrated in life and won't have to live separated by yourself. But I think it's such a touchy topic that everything I say might be misunderstood.
    And Chilly, I know two people who live/lived on welfare, that's why the TV thing came to my mind (one of them got one) I didn't say that welfare should be dropped, there were just things I thought were too much, but as you told me, that's over. The other one on welfare had even a bit more money than I have now, so I can judge that it is not that hard to live on 350 a month. I can do it easily.
    In Singapore (I'm not sure if I might be confusing it) you don't have to pay such high taxes but you can decide what you do with the money yourself. So most people put their money into a bank account and when tehy are retired they live on that money. I like this model.

^^ I hate to break it to you, but as a student you cost the state much more than 345 Euro a month. Ever thought of that? And why does the government invest in you? Ever asked yourself that?

So please stop complaining about people on welfare. You're the classic leech that brings a social system down. Take it all, give nothing. You said yourself, you never paid taxes (I'm not even going to ask you why, because I payed taxes half my life, despite being a student. But then again, I worked hard). And now that you would have to pay taxes, you'd rather leave than pay them. Because the people on welfare burn all that money. Because gas prices are too high. (I tell you why that is, it's called eco tax. You pay for the environment.) Buhu.

I my city you can not survive on 345 Euro, by the way. Food prices do vary from place to place.

I'd like to see you live in Singapore. With all the things you find wrong about Germany, you won't last long in Asia. If your social conscience is not solely restricted to your own well-being, that is.

Mind you, I'm currently staying in a country where the majority of the population lives in poverty, because the rich refuse to share their extreme wealth and have done so for generations. If that is what you were going for, move to South Africa.
    Last edited by Chilly Willy; January 22nd, 2008 at 04:32 PM.
    -Bugdoll-

When do I get an invite to beautiful Greece?

Αnytime,preety,soak up the sun,its a healer..
    And my summer house has 11 beds

Let's all have a little vacation at effie's next summer. 11 beds? That's 33 Gossip Rockers!
    -Bugdoll-

Seriously,do,i ll just do shopping and cooking,you do the rest..

Ohhh, Effie, I've been wanting to say how much I love your avi! I've been lucky enough to visit Greece several times and I've never forgotten it. Loveliest place I've ever, ever been (and I've traveled a lot.) You're lucky indeed!!! (But the occasional romantic holiday in Paris would sure be the icing on the cake, eh? )

We put in a patio last year and I've seriously been asking myself if there's any way I can somehow create the illusion of the Greek Islands out there...whitewash that side of the house and the fence...plant a little orange or lemon tree...some blue and green and red wooden patio furniture...hmmm. Too bad it's too cold here for bougainvillea to establish well, but red geraniums flourish at least...we'll see what I can pull together this summer!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information