Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Disney World--Orlando Florida

Quote Originally Posted by nancydrew View Post
    Yay Lynnie!
    I have family and friends that have used Mears many times and swear by it. I have never personally used them since we always drive when we go.
    I used Mears last week to get to Disney from Orlando International. It is $21 one way, and $34 for a round-trip ticket.

I only needed a one-way ticket because I was meeting my wife at the Swan and Dolphin resort, where she was attending a conference. And she had already rented a car.

Swan and Dolphin was enormous. Rooms were fine. Not sure how much they cost because my wife's company was paying for them. They had a mini fridge and free Starbucks coffee every day. Great gym. Two pools. And two beaches with chairs, volleyball, etc. Restaurants were very expensive.

From this resort, you could walk right to Epcot. You could almost walk to Universal Studios, too. The Boardwalk Resort (I think that's what it's called) was right next to Swan and Dolphin. Very scenic with lots of shops and restaurants.

I only went to one park while there - Animal Kingdom, on a Friday. It wasn't too crowded. Some rides were difficult to get onto early, but extremely easy starting around 4:30 pm.

Zee

Universal- to avoid the line for Butterbeer go into the three broomsticks. You can usually get it very quickly at the bar. There is a nice outside sitting area behind the bar.

The wands are also in a push cart kiosk beyond Ollivanders by the flight of the hippogriff

My kids hate Disney with a passion so we do Universal. Universal Studio's Suess Landing is amazing regardless of age
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Have a good time Lynnie!!!!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Yes Lynnie - have a blast!!!
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Stuck on a mother f-ing plane right now for almost 3 hours!!!! Stupid JetBlue and their shitty planes. Going insane. Don't even care about Disney right now.......aaaaahhhhh

Thanks for letting me vent.

Hahaha poor Lynnie. Demand a drink now, chill out and you'll be in Disney before you know it.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

boo about the plane delay, but happy vacationing, lynnie! hope the magic kingdom is stocked up on tito's!
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    Universal- to avoid the line for Butterbeer go into the three broomsticks. You can usually get it very quickly at the bar. There is a nice outside sitting area behind the bar.

The wands are also in a push cart kiosk beyond Ollivanders by the flight of the hippogriff

My kids hate Disney with a passion so we do Universal. Universal Studio's Suess Landing is amazing regardless of age
    Unless they're teenagers, how does any kid hate Disney?

Ok.....back. Lived to talk about it.

Overall, had a good time. Had some unfortunate and interesting things happen along the way (see up thread about airline rant---my apologies, it was extremely frustrating though and had to vent).

The flight situation there SUCKED beyond belief and both my girls got very sick the 2nd day we were there. Spent most of that day at Urgent Care and for the next few days, both were sick, then feeling better, then feeling sick again, repeat. None of these things are related to Disney World, but it did impact the vacation. We weren't able to do nearly as much as we had hoped, but it certainly could have been worse.

We opted for a 'Villa' at one of the Deluxe Resorts (Beach Club part of the Yacht & Beach Club). We discovered that Villa basically only means the room has a small kitchenette as opposed to just a small fridge in it. There are larger Villa's available, but unless you are a 'Vacation Club Member' they are difficult to get at certain Resorts. Needless to say, we were disappointed in what we got.....we expected it to be bigger and seeing that this was a Deluxe Resort, the decor to be somewhat nicer than what it was. The room was OLD. It looked it, and smelled it. Though I will say the balcony was very big--so we used that often at night while the girls slept.

The Resort itself was very nice. Was BIG. Had a pretty cool pool and waterslides (and several other smaller pools). The location imho was absolutely the BEST though. Honestly, we were FEET from Epcot---which was great for dining (with the different 'countries' at the World Showcase skies the limit when it came to eating!) and the fireworks everynight at Epcot. And just all that it has to offer. Also, we were connected via a Boardwalk to several other Resorts---The Swan & Dolphin, The BoardWalk and the other portion of our resort, The Yacht Club. The BoardWalk Resort is also very nice and we went there often. There is a lake in the middle of all of the Resorts I just mentioned, and you can rent watercraft/boats, and an option to some of the Parks is to take the Water Taxi on that lake. Really, very nice. There was also bike rentals that you would ride around the boardwalk, and at night, there were jugglers and fire breathers, games, etc--just like the old 'Atlantic City' boardwalk. And they showed Disney movies every night on the beach at our Resort. It was interesting how they set that up. OH----and every morning at our Resort, several of the Disney characters were there, just walking around. So no having to stand in line or anything. They were just greeting the little ones and would sit down at breakfast or hang out in the lobby. Can't tell you how great my girls thought that was. So cute!

To say it was busy would be an understatement--but we knew this going in. And it actually wasn't super busy during the first 4-5 days, but got insanely busy after that. It was hot....like 96 degrees on the day we left. But again, expected it.

My one BIG complaint is actually 2 complaints that go together. We had one of the 'Disney Dining Plans' and while the concept of this is great, no one ever explained to us how it worked. It was very confusing, even w/the limited literature we got on it. It took us DAYS to finally figure it out (and since we were dealing w/sick kids, it probably took us longer due to that) and we lost out or were charged for many things that we shouldn't have been. Along with that---there is a SEVERE shortage of dining options. Believe it or not, yes. There just isn't enough to support the thousands of people.....and it didn't matter where we were, at our Resort, or at a Park, etc. It was the same everywhere and even if you went at 'off times'. Found that the menu's were somewhat limited as well (for 'Quick Service Dining') and just got very frustrated w/the entire situation. Our ignorance is probably a big part of that, but they NEED to add additional restaurants, at least during the busy times.

One thing that I should mention about our Resort too---it was not well layed out. And also confusing. There is a famous ice cream parlor called 'Beaches & Cream' and it took us far too long to find it, and it was right in our Resort. There were almost no signs or direction to it. Can't imagine if you don't speak English how it would be..

The Parks were good. Hit em all and one waterpark (Typhoon Lagoon). Again, due to sick kids, didn't spend an enormous amount of time at any of em, but did get to hit Toy Story Mania/Muppets 3D and several 'shows' at Hollywood Studios. Had dinner w/the Princesses at Cinderall's Castle at Magic Kingdom (really great even though my oldest fell asleep at the table) and the Jungle Safari at Animal Kingdom (saw some great animals SUPER close). And then Epcot as I mentioned. Typhoon Lagoon is hilarious. Can't even believe how enormous the waves were at the wave pool there. HUGE. So great.

The Disney Transportation system is good. Took all forms of it---bus, watertaxi and monorail. Had to wait a lot, but that is the name of the game when you go to Disney. WAITING. And we expected that also.

So gee, that's about it. Would we go back? Absolutely. Would we do it differently? Yes. But now we have a better feel for things so, we are certainly glad we went, issues and all!

Worth seeing their little faces when Ariel and Jasmine hugged and talked to them, or Goofy sat down and ate with us. Worth every penny.

Welcome back Lynnie!

I cannot believe your girls got sick... poor babies! I'm glad they rallied and were able to have some Disney moments anyway. That look of awe / wonder is worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    Worth seeing their little faces when Ariel and Jasmine hugged and talked to them, or Goofy sat down and ate with us. Worth every penny.
    Aw, that's so sweet, Lynnie. I'm so glad y'all had fun. Sorry about the sicky issues your girls had, but sounds like it didn't hinder any enjoyment!

Most of all, glad to see you back!

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

wow Lynnie, so sorry the girls got sick, I hope they had an awesome time, you're a saint for going through all that for them b/c honestly, going to disney world sounds like a personal nightmare to me, but like i said; you're a good woman

Ok.....back. Lived to talk about it.

We opted for a 'Villa' at one of the Deluxe Resorts (Beach Club part of the Yacht & Beach Club). We discovered that Villa basically only means the room has a small kitchenette as opposed to just a small fridge in it. There are larger Villa's available, but unless you are a 'Vacation Club Member' they are difficult to get at certain Resorts. Needless to say, we were disappointed in what we got.....we expected it to be bigger and seeing that this was a Deluxe Resort, the decor to be somewhat nicer than what it was. The room was OLD. It looked it, and smelled it. Though I will say the balcony was very big--so we used that often at night while the girls slept.

The Resort itself was very nice. Was BIG. Had a pretty cool pool and waterslides (and several other smaller pools). The location imho was absolutely the BEST though. Honestly, we were FEET from Epcot---which was great for dining (with the different 'countries' at the World Showcase skies the limit when it came to eating!) and the fireworks everynight at Epcot. And just all that it has to offer. Also, we were connected via a Boardwalk to several other Resorts---The Swan & Dolphin, The BoardWalk and the other portion of our resort, The Yacht Club. The BoardWalk Resort is also very nice and we went there often.
    We were at the Swan and Dolphin a couple weeks ago. Was your hotel the one with the pirate ship that was also a water slide? That particular pool was being zealously guarded by a Disney employee so that outsiders didn't try to sneak in.

^^Yes, that was the Beach Club, where we stayed. The Pirate Ship waterslides (there were 2)were fun, but were kind of a pain to get to though. And yes, you had to be a guest of the Beach Club Resort to use it. Special wrist bands, etc.

^^Yes, that was the Beach Club, where we stayed. The Pirate Ship waterslides (there were 2)were fun, but were kind of a pain to get to though. And yes, you had to be a guest of the Beach Club Resort to use it. Special wrist bands, etc.
    Yup, the slide was so long, it looked almost like you had to walk outside the resort to go climb the steps up to the slide. Kind of a pain, and definitely outside the pool area. The ship is a really well-done replica, and a great visual that can be seen all along the waterfront.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information