Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Disney World--Orlando Florida

Lynnie.. that's great! It's a beautiful resort. I'm jealous!! We so badly want to go back, but every appliance decided to break in my house all at once, so there went our vacation money! Hopefully next year we will get there.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

i know im secretly jealous too, although i dont envy how your legs and feet will feel at the end of each day

Elite Member

We are going to Orlando next week. We'll be splitting our time between the 2 Universal parks and Animal Kingdom and Epcot, so we're staying at an off-property resort.

Orlando Resorts | Orlando Luxury Hotels | The Point Orlando Resort

We got a rate of $110/night. Our room is a 1 bedroom suite with a full kitchen, so we'll save money by eating breakfast in our room in the mornings. It's also within walking distance to the restaurants on International Drive, but I think most nights we will eat at the resorts before we leave, and one night at a restaurant at CityWalk.

When you come back you so have to give a detailed review of that place. It was on my list but we always go for LBVR, so I would love to hear what you thought of this place.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

Elite Member

Well the suite we are staying in is bigger than my first apartment, no kidding, so hopefully we will be happy there. The kids are sleeping in on the queen sleeper sofa and DH and I get a king bed all to ourselves in a separate bedroom.

Hope you have a great time travelbug!! Please let us know how it is---give me some inside scoop too if you have any!

Enjoy!!!!!

Elite Member

We're back and had a wonderful time! We really liked the resort a lot. It's all condos owned individually (not timeshares, units start at 200K), and are rented out just like hotel rooms when the owners aren't using them. Our room had a small full kitchen with all the amenities, a washer/dryer, a large bathroom with large shower and separate whirlpool tub, granite countertops, a very comfortable king size bed and a leather sleeper sofa in the LR. Perfect for our needs! We ate a leisurely breakfast in our room every morning and saved money by packing water bottles and snacks (protein/granola bars, nuts, fruit, etc.) in our backpack. Most days we ate around 4:00 which helped us beat the crowds and save money by only having one meal per day.

We were very close to Universal Studios but the drive to Disney parks was not long. We prefer to take our own car and set our own schedule vs. taking the shuttle from the hotel. Parking is $14/day at Disney and $15/day at Universal. That really pissed me off, but I guess it's an incentive for people to use the hotel transportation.

One day at Epcot we did a princess character breakfast for my DD since her birthday was last week. I had no idea how much it would cost going in, and was astounded when they handed me the bill of $125 (not including tip). So that was a $145 breakfast. It was good, they had a buffet of fruit, yogurt, and pastries, and brought out hot food (eggs, bacon, sausage, and a yummy hashbrown casserole). And DD got professional photos with Belle included in the price, and all the other princesses came to our table to visit and we took pictures of each one.

The highlight of the trip was Butterbeer! Waited in a long line at a cart to get some but it was yummy. At the end of the night we went to Hogs Meade pub to get some more. The Harry Potter stuff is just amazing. They went to great detail to recreate the look and feel of the movie. Too bad there were fat tourists everywhere in crappy clothes instead of wizards in robes and hats!

I am so glad you enjoyed your trip! Sounds like I might add that place to my list of off site condos to try out. Do they have any restaurants or stores there on site?
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

Elite Member

Just wanted to add a little more info. about the Harry Potter park. It was so crowded that you had to get in line outside of the HP section to get a ticket to tell you when to return just to get into the area. This was not a ticket for the rides, oh, no. Just to get into the HP area and shop. It was incredibly crowded in the streets and DS had to go to Olivander's and get a wand. Waited about an hour just to get into Olivander's. There is a short show inside where one person is picked out of the crowd and tries out different wands which produce special effects, until the "right" wand chooses them. From there you are shuffled into a very crowded gift shop with tons of wands, owls, robes, and other souveniers. I went to a cart and stood in line for 20 minutes for butterbeer while the rest of my family waited in the Olivander's line.

The lines for Flight of the Hippogriff (a mild roller coaster) were not too long, so we rode that first. Then we got in line for the big attraction ride Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. The sign said a 90 minute wait and they were not kidding. The line wound around and around and in and out of things inside and outside. During the last 15 minutes you are inside the castle and you get to see the talking pictures and the Defense Against the Dark Arts (I think) classroom. They have amazing hollographic images of Dumbledore, Harry, Hermoine, and Ron that talk to you and give you the "story". Unfortunately the line was moving fast at this point (but not at any other point before that), so we didn't catch much of what they were saying. DH and I took turns riding with DS since DD was too short. So DS got to go on twice in a row because of child swap.

The ride was amazing, lots of special effects, very intense feelings of flying and falling. Unfortunately because I didn't know the "story" it just seemed random and too fast. There were speakers in the car where Harry was talking to us but I couldn't hear very well, and was too focused on the physical effects of the ride to pay attention. All I remember is dementors, large spiders, and the Quidditch field.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by nancydrew View Post
    I am so glad you enjoyed your trip! Sounds like I might add that place to my list of off site condos to try out. Do they have any restaurants or stores there on site?
    No, there is a bar in the lobby and they serve breakfast, and tapas stuff for lunch/dinner, but not a full service restaurant. It's a nice place to sit and have drinks at night though. The lobby is lovely.

There is also a large pool and hot tub and they provide towels for that. The gym wasn't anything to write home about - just a couple of treadmills and a few weight machines but most people probably feel like they get enough exercise with all the walking in the theme parks. We walked 7-8 miles a day. I have a Fitbit tracker which I wore all week.

The hotel is located very near to Universal Blvd. and International Drive, and there is an I-Drive trolley that will take you around because there are a lot of restaurants in the area. If you go to Citywalk at Universal, parking is only $3 after 6:00 and there are a lot of restaurants and some clubs you can enjoy. As we were leaving at 7:00 that last night, we saw a bunch of people coming in all dressed up for dinner/date night.

Thanks for the great info travelbug! Glad you had a blast and the place was lovely!

We have the meal plan while staying at the Disney Resort, so we are hoping to avoid the huge meal bills, though obviously, you still pay for it. And we decided to get a Hopper Pass, so we can go to as many parks a day as we want---we had a 'one park a day' pass previously, but it wasn't that much more expensive to do the Hopper....so what the hell. We are going to try to go to at least one of the Waterparks too, and they weren't included in the one park a day shit...don't know why.

My kids are fairly young, and not into much else OTHER than the Disney stuff so we will not be straying from the parks/resorts at are offered in Disney. But I look forward to the days when they will want to go to Universal and see the Harry Potter stuff, etc. Sounds good!

Our friends just got back last night from Disney (stayed at the Carribean Beach Resort) and had a great time too. Said the weather was awesome...

Glad you had a good time and posted about it! Those condo's looked really nice!

Ok, question for the Disney travelers: have any of you taken your own, hired, transportation from the airport as opposed to the Disney shuttle? Wondering if it is worth the extra money to save a bit on time?

We leave in about 10 days! yay!

Yay Lynnie!
    I have family and friends that have used Mears many times and swear by it. I have never personally used them since we always drive when we go.

Ok, leaving on Tuesday! Doing some packing this weekend, even though myself and the girls are about as packed as we possibly can be. Got little backpacks (Disney of course) that the girls will bring on the plane--full of snacks and activities to hopefully keep them busy. Going 'Jet Blue' which has TV's (hooray!) and its a direct flight (about 2 1/2 hrs) so hoping for a smooth time!

And tada--found a grocer that delivers beer/wine/vodka!! Double hooray!

Sounds great! Totall jellus of you but have a fantastic time.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information