Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The differences between North America and England

I loved Palm Beach when I was there, very pretty, very relaxing. It was the perfect way to start our vacation that year.

One thing i noticed when ive been to NY, is that shop assistants are allowed to use their mobile phones at work, whats that about? We waited in a ten minute queue for the changing rooms in Macy's as the attendant was busy talking on her phone to let anyone in. There would be riots in the shops over here if that happened!

Quote Originally Posted by loulou58 View Post
    One thing i noticed when ive been to NY, is that shop assistants are allowed to use their mobile phones at work, whats that about? We waited in a ten minute queue for the changing rooms in Macy's as the attendant was busy talking on her phone to let anyone in. There would be riots in the shops over here if that happened!
    You should have smacked her in the head for that. We allow that over here when idiots are gabbing on their cellphones instead of doing their jobs..ok well it is not officially sanctioned but you could have gotten away with it anyway.

A*O

When we visited Florida I can't say I noticed the vomit smell, but we did think the water tasted and smelled distinctly of chlorine. A local explained that the watertable there is very high and polluted (a lot of Florida is basically a swamp) so the water treatment plants have to use a lot of chlorine, etc to make the water safe to drink.

I don't think there's a huge difference between the main English speaking countries/cultures (UK/US/Oz) overall. Local customs differ, and of course accents and use of language, but the devil's in the detail. Why can't I buy Marmite in Australia - I neeeeeeeeeeeed it. Vegemite is OK but it's not the same dammit!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

* No offence to anyone, but there is a distinct smell of vomit in Florida. We travelled to Orlando, Tampa, West Palm Beach and Miami and with the exception of WPB it all smelt a bit pukey!
    HOLY SHIT I JUST LAUGHED OUT LOUD SO FRICKEN' LOUD I THINK I BROKE A WINDOW AND SNAPPED MY JAW!

*btw I love your list; thanks so much for putting the time and effort into it; I've only been to Spain and Mexico and Canada but I agree w/ all your assessments. The one thing you don't realize though is that it only seems like we have flags everywhere b/c you're not used to seeing ours and are probably so used to yours that you're "blind" to them. I noticed this too when I was in Spain and Mexico; I thought, "Wow they have their flags every fuckingwhere!" but then I noticed here too, but we might have more on our cars and shit b/c of post 9/11 patriot pride bullshit so you're right in one sense. Great list overall!

- oh yeah and the erbal vs. herbal thing is funny! I noticed that too when watching BBC American stuff.

* People talk loudly in the cinema in the US
    you must've been watching a movie at a Culver City theater!

** oh and i'm glad you're having a safe and entertaining trip! I have to say that I'm very jealous; i wish i could travel my own country like that, but work and bills keep me from that p.s. How did you take off work so long or are you in between jobs or in school?

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    When we visited Florida I can't say I noticed the vomit smell, but we did think the water tasted and smelled distinctly of chlorine. A local explained that the watertable there is very high and polluted (a lot of Florida is basically a swamp) so the water treatment plants have to use a lot of chlorine, etc to make the water safe to drink.

I don't think there's a huge difference between the main English speaking countries/cultures (UK/US/Oz) overall. Local customs differ, and of course accents and use of language, but the devil's in the detail. Why can't I buy Marmite in Australia - I neeeeeeeeeeeed it. Vegemite is OK but it's not the same dammit!

They don't sell it at all? You should get into the swap shops I've seen on some websites (not that sort of swapsies), where people from different countries send things back and forth.
    "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."

A*O

^^^ I've never seen it, although you can get it in New Zealand so whenever we go there, or know someone who is, we get some brought back. So long as it's in sealed jars and you declare it with Customs/Quarantine in Oz it's OK.
    Dame Edna Everage

Elite Member

A*O have you tried this website? It is expensive for a small jar of Marmite

http://www.atasteofhome.com.au/index.php?cPath=27

Marmite 125gItem#: 612Price:$8.50

A*O

8 BUCKS?!?!? It's almost cheaper to fly to NZ for the day, bulk buy and bring a load back. I can then sell it to my Pommy friends for $10 a pot.
    Dame Edna Everage

Elite Member

That's what I thought... Even with the exchange rate it is dear. I have seen a Sanitarium Marmite, not sure if it tastes the same, probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    p.s. How did you take off work so long or are you in between jobs or in school?
    Hi Alice. I didn't take any time off work. I graduated from university in May and travelled from June-September, because my boyfriend (who has also just graduated) had saved us some cash for us to do it. It did end up being a pretty expensive trip though! I'm back in England now and *thinking* of looking for a job soon!

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by enctpc View Post
    That's what I thought... Even with the exchange rate it is dear. I have seen a Sanitarium Marmite, not sure if it tastes the same, probably not.
    No, unfortunately Sanitarium Marmite is NOTHING like the real thing. But it's all good. I like Vegemite too.
    Dame Edna Everage

I bet England does not have huge fundamentalist churches that are filled with tens of thousands of nutjobs waving their arms, speaking in tongues, foaming at the mouth..etc. Also bet there are no real equivalents to Falwell, Robertson, Swaggart, etc. either.(lucky England!)

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    And there was no root beer! Anywhere!
    man, that crap is foul! that's one thing i don't miss about canada
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

mmmmmmm..rootbeer! I may have to go out and get some now.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information