Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The differences between North America and England

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

In England we pronoune heir 'air', not 'hair'
    I know. That was the point. In both countries the 'h' is dropped on some words and not on others.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Only answering the question you asked me

"you say tomayto - I say tomarto, you say potayto and I say potarto!"

Tra la la falallalala.........

Motels are really really rare in England.
    BF and I kept looking for "just a cheap motel" when we were backpacking through Scotland, and quickly discovered they don't exist there. It was nice actually. There were very nice cheap hostels, B & Bs with an associated ratings system whose scores were posted on signs outside the establishment, and nice grand hotels that often included dinner and breakfast in their pricing.

And there was no root beer! Anywhere!

Some of the differences take some getting used to, but they're what make travel interesting.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Whats root beer? Like ginger beer?

^^ No, although that would make a lot of sense! I can't think of how to describe the taste of root beer. It's a dark pop though, almost looks like cola, but it's non-caffeinated by default, at least in Canada (you can get caffeinated varieties).
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Silver Member

Bella- what a good list! People always ask me too and I'm always thinking what a stupid question. You are def. right about the Cadbury's, I won't eat any chocolate here and can't wait till I go back to England to get me some Milky Bar. LMAO about the Head On ad. I hate that one!

Bella, you are very observant! Why did you like WPB so much? Palm Beach I can understand. I'm going to go outside and try to smell the vomit, lol, I swear I've never smelled it in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    I know this is completely not relevent considering my question involves oz,
    is it true that Americans have trouble understanding Australians because we talk too fast??
    I've not had any problems understanding Aussies. I dated an Australian a looooong time ago, he and his brothers are kinda famous there.

Quote Originally Posted by pierresgirl View Post
    Bella- what a good list! People always ask me too and I'm always thinking what a stupid question. You are def. right about the Cadbury's, I won't eat any chocolate here and can't wait till I go back to England to get me some Milky Bar. LMAO about the Head On ad. I hate that one!
    I want to shoot myself directly in the forehead each time I hear it. Have you guys noticed it anywhere but the weather channel? That's the only place I see it.

And Bella, I'm SOOOOO with you about Nancy Grace. oh, SHIT is she horrid! Pompous, know-it-all bug-eyed bitch.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    I want to shoot myself directly in the forehead each time I hear it. Have you guys noticed it anywhere but the weather channel? That's the only place I see it.

And Bella, I'm SOOOOO with you about Nancy Grace. oh, SHIT is she horrid! Pompous, know-it-all bug-eyed bitch.
    In the Midwest, it's on in the afternoon a lot when they're in the final segment of the judge shows. I'm practically ready to whip something at the TV after hearing it.
    You were lucky to have me. But you know what? I think I already got the best part of you. And she's standing right out there. I don't know... what's left just doesn't look so good anymore. Hope Floats

Quote Originally Posted by bella View Post
    * Firstly in the US, you seem to want to put cheese on everything! On a beef sandwich, a tuna sandwich, anything? I was looked at as though I was mental when I said I didn't want it!!
    I don't like cheese on much of anything.
    * You have no roundabouts, and loads of one way roads, and huge 7 lane roads everywhere. Almost all our roads in England are two-way and two lane!
    That can be very confusing. If you noticed (specifically here in Houston) the street will be named one thing going in one direction and something totally different going in the opposite direction.
    * There are billboards everywhere by the side of the road. We dont have that in England at all really.
    No comment.
    * You have loads of mini-malls, with car parks for just a few shops. We don't have that at all.
    too many mini-malls.
    * Motels are really really rare in England.
    we (as you know) have them on every block. There are literally thousands in Houston alone!
    * You are allowed to use phones whilst you are driving! Totally illegal at home
    Yeah, we can in some states at the moment. I believe it's in California and perhaps New York that you can't. The government is working on changing that.
    * Your streets are all built in blocks. You hardly ever get that in England. I think i find our windy streets more interesting, but your easier to navigate.
    Just in the big cities.
    * Addresses in England rarely go past 100! Yours seem to go up to the thousands!
    shit, that's nothing. we have 'em going up to tens of thousands.
    * We saw 'one thousand six hundred and fifty two' whilst you would say 'one-six-five-two'

* Cinammon flavouring is everywhere in the US!
    never noticed that.
    * You have no add taxes on to stuff you buy - seriously annoying! In England, the price you see is the price you pay!
    I've noticed that. The only thing we don't pay taxes on is food at the grocery store.
    * I felt, it was rare to find fruit or veg in America that rivalled England's. Fruit isn't 'fresh' in the same way as at home.
    I'm used to what we get here. Making a note to never eat fruit overseas...
    * You say 'erbs and 'erbal, which cracks me up. We say Herbs and Herbal with an 'H'!
    Do you say "shedule" or "skedule" and vitamins (with the long "i")- we laugh about this from you guys. It's just the linguistics of where you are raised.
    * In New York and Philadelphia there were lots of hot air vents in the floor, that were steamin hot!
    never been there.
    * I think the English will walk a lot further than Americans. We were often recommended taxies for just short distances, like 10 blocks! Taxis do seem cheaper in the US.
    Americans pay a lot of money for those big cars and will be damned if we aren't driving them. I would love to live in an area that provided decent public transportation and didn't have to pay so much for cars and insurance, but I don't trust the public transportation system.
    * You have these weird walkie-talkie things, that are like a mobile but you talk into the bottom and everyone can hear you conversation. What is that about?
    hate them
    * Your cars are HUGE
    yeah, and with the cost of gas constantly rising... well, it's not good.
    * And you have loads of flags EVERYWHERE
    You should have been here right after September 11th! That was something to see. People everywhere had them on their cars, their homes - EVERYWHERE. I think that we're still holding on to that feeling of unity that Americans felt at that time. It was a strange time and the anniversary is fast approaching - the 5th anniversary...
    * Your Television is really different!!! Adverts seem to pop up in the most annoying times, like when watching friends it goes:
    ADVERTS before friends begins - the intro to friends - ADVERTS - friends part one - ADVERTS - part two - ADVERTS - the ending bit which lasts about 30 seconds - ADVERTS. Man that used to drive me mad!!!! And it always says 'closed captionning provided by ...' That's strange too.

* No offence to anyone, but there is a distinct smell of vomit in Florida. We travelled to Orlando, Tampa, West Palm Beach and Miami and with the exception of WPB it all smelt a bit pukey!
    LOL
    * Pet dogs don't seem very common in the US
    Dogs are very common.
    * The presenting style on the News is far far far more relaxed and informal that in England. Also why the hell is Nancy Grace always on? That woman is terrible!
    hate, hate, hate her...
    * There are loads of adverts on the Television for weight loss ALL THE TIME
    Yeah, we can thank Kirstie Alley, Zora (whatever her name is from Who wants to date a millionaire), and every other person who's lost 5 pounds. It gets a little tiring - and people wonder why american's are obsessed with weight loss, it's all we hear about.
    * Also careers are advertised on the TV all the time. That doesn't happen apart from for the Army in England.

* We both have the name Craig, but we pronounce it 'CrEg' whilst we say 'Cray-g'

* Cadbury's chocolate does not taste as good in the US with the Hershey's influence!!!

* There are no old women in the US!
    horsepooh, we have plently of old ladies.
    * You sell pizza by the slice!
    yeah, but we eat it by the pounds!
    * No offence but having to pay for the health service right when you need it totally sucks!
    yep.
    * Is a quarter the biggest coin? I think I saw a dollar coin twice! We have 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p then 1 coins, so always have lots of change, and no 1 notes!!
    we have dollar coins, but they aren't as common.
    * Seriously, learn to queue people!!!

* I have never before known anywhere in England where the cashier doesn't hand the change right to your hand but instead it drops into a little dispenser for you to collect! Really unfriendly I thought!
    Sounds like you went to Kroger, that's the only place I've been that does that.
    * People talk loudly in the cinema in the US
    Only the rude ones.
    * You seem to have a real culture of sueing which is a bit scary!
    Terrifying, actually. The avon lady will sue you if she trips over her own feet in your yard!
    * Your baths are way way way lower - English baths are raised off the ground

* Sirens are very different on ambulances and fire engines!

* Are licence plates not needed on the front of vehicles?
    In some states they are: Ie, Louisiana doesn't have to have them on the front and back, but Texas (right next door) does.
    * I like the way you have different licence plate designs for different states!

I love your adverts for Vlasic pickle, geico, head on (apply directly to the forehead!!! ), vonage, sharpie mini etc. And I also know who Kelly Ripa, Katie Couric and Anne Coulter are as well. Result!
    I hate the head on commercials so much!
    So we really loved the west coast best - San Fransisco was gorgeous, but Santa Cruz was a bit blah (). Las Vegas was fabulous and so so exciting, Beverly Hills and Hollywood were great too, Chicago was cold and windy, Orlando was nice but a bit flat looking and samey, I loved West Palm Beach more than anywhere else in the world, and hated Miami more than anywhere else in the world! Loved the Bahamas (not US I know), Washington was very pictoresque, Philadelphia was quite nice too, but I didn't really like New York - I suppose I didn't see it as a 'glamorous' place that I expected it to be, although Central Park is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    In the Midwest, it's on in the afternoon a lot when they're in the final segment of the judge shows. I'm practically ready to whip something at the TV after hearing it.
    Well, thank goodness it isn't just me. I only hear it in the morning (about 4:30 AM) when I'm getting ready and ONLY on the weather channel. That can't be good advertising sense ... unless they are trying to give you a headache so you might try it and find that it really works... Nah, they're just doing it to piss me off!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

not true, I live in California and 9 out of 10 drivers are on their cell phones!

and the worst thing of all is that we EastEnders fans can't watch it on TV anymore, we have to download it illegally to see the current shows
    (shhhhhhhhhhhhh)

Same here. I nearly got creamed this afternoon by someone speeding in the middle of a residential street while talking into a cell phone and eating. I took their license plate number and called it in. Asswipe.

I love threads like this. It's so interesting to compare cultures.

Gotta say tho, I never noticed Florida smelling like vomit, nor have I noticed cinnamon being everywhere.

About our cars being huge, I have slowly but surely turned into an SUV hater. Especially the ones with the extra row of seating. I never see one full of people. There is usually some little bitch driving it, holding a cell phone, cutting people off & bullying them with her massive bus. I refuse to let them cut in front of me. I'll probably get smashed someday.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna View Post
    Bella, you are very observant! Why did you like WPB so much? Palm Beach I can understand.
    Ooops I'm an idiot. We stayed in Palm Beach, not West Plam Beach, over on the seperate island. There isn't a lot to do there, but I loved that. Just spent every day walking up and down the beach, and it's so beautiful, totally idyllic. West Palm Beach was the station we got the Greyhound into, and then got a taxi over the Palm Beach. Glorious little place! If anyone stays I would recommend the 'Heart of Palm Beach' hotel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information