Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Cruse Ship Suites: Some of them are Larger Than Some Houses

The older Carnival ships are some of the worst for that. Their designer at the time would settle on a color theme and then it would be all you could see. We sailed on one ship that had these ugly turquoise eggs EVERYWHERE (Carnival Paradise), the Fantasy is all neon lit purple, the Victory all neon green. It's so bad.

Most of my experience lies with Carnival, its the one we almost always sailed as kids (except for a couple detours to Disney Cruise Line and then on Princess as we got older), and now my husband prefers Carnival because it's more casual. He doesn't like the elevated dress code requirements for the dining room on most other ships. In his opinion, he's paying $X for this vacation, and if he feels like wearing jeans to dinner in the standard dining room after a long day in port it shouldn't be such a big deal-he dresses up for formal nights or the higher dining restaurants without complaint, its just the regular dining room that he thinks should be more casual. So, Carnival it is for now (until I can convince him otherwise).
    BITTER likes this.

I sailed on the Viking Serenade out of San Diego, which was too glitzy (too much brass and mirrors, tiny cabins) and the Carnival Victory out of New York. The cabins were decent, but Carnival wants you out in the public rooms, spending money - they lavish their attention to décor in their public rooms, for better or for worse. The Victory was one of their nicer ships, but it still had some tackiness, like in the atrium bar. The library was beautiful - but hardly any books. But Carnival never pretends to be more than it is - a fun, slightly rowdy time designed to separate you from your money.

Now that I've given up drinking and overeating, I can't think of a reason to go on a cruise. Crowds bug the hell outta me, but I still love ships, so I like looking at the pictures.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    .Now that I've given up drinking and overeating, I can't think of a reason to go on a cruise..
    LOL

although it is a nice way to travel as you visit different places instead of staying at same place in a hotel. I only took one cruise, that was down the Nile and it was amazing. Unfortunately it is too dangerous now, otherwise I would take my kids instantly. The culture, the changing scenery... That said all the food on the boat tasted so bad, I ended up eating very little.
    BITTER likes this.

^^^Seriously? The Nile would be so awesome...I'd love to do that.

But what was wrong with the food?
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    ^^^Seriously? The Nile would be so awesome...I'd love to do that.But what was wrong with the food?
    I still remember it as one of the best holidays ever. I felt like in a Agatha Christie novel except luckily nobody diedwe visited so many amazing places mostly early morning and during the day we would cruise from one place to the next and the scenery kept on changing while we were swimming on board. SUPER. In the evening we had belly dancers entertaining us. I remember being on the deck looking at the skies and thinking WOOOOW The food: for me it had a very 'musty' taste to it. . One plus, the whole boat had the 'delhi belly' and I didn't have to go for a week.
    BITTER likes this.

Bump.
    I have an online buddy who works in the cruise industry - has done so for the past 50 years, bless his heart. He's saying that food quality has deteriorated across the board and this is because, as has been said, of the deep discounting and cost-cutting - food is the first thing to go. Things that don't have to be made onboard are purchased prepackaged, like jams, frozen veggies and some desserts. Even bread is no longer made fresh onboard the ship - premade dough is bought and then baked on the ship. Burgers too. Rice is cheaper than potatoes, so you'll see it at dinner more. A lot of the so-called premium lines are making cuts - that's why they have so many extra-cost restaurants on ships now - if you want high-quality food, the cruise lines want you to PAY for it. And even then, it's no guarantee that it will be fresh or made from scratch.
    Brookie likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information