Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cordillera Blanca - photos from my trip

i have definitely been sucked in. will be getting as much use as possible out of my ugly hiking boots (is there any other kind?)

we only stayed a few nights in one hostel in huaraz, the rest of the time we were hiking and camped. it's really nice though, and dirt cheap. clean and simple, nothing fancy. owned by an englishman and caters specifically to hikers and mountaineers so you can rent gear there, they will help you get organised, hire donkeys and guides if you want, which i would have done if i'd been with someone with less experience.

huaraz itself is really ugly but the food is excellent, and cheap. whether at the central market (full lunch for a dollar) or in the restaurants and cevicherias.
    i ate guinea pig, rabbit, cow's heart (oh my god, soooo delicious), and so much yummy peruvian ceviche (they really do make the best). and the fruit and veg are incredible too.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

czb

^^^ and did you have any of the 200 kinds of locally grown potatoes?? haha. i remember eating great ceviche and the local fruits, veggies, and cheeses were yummy, too. and i remember eating cuy in all kinds of dishes, including guinea pig on a stick. it was pretty good.

and of course, pisco. mmmm

as for hiking boots, i have about 3 pairs, all ugly. varied because they are graded for different pack loads. haha

Did you just say guinea pig???

Lol, I know they love them there, sooo freaky!
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

^^
    yes, cuy/guinea pig is a local staple. it's kind of weird when you think about it but they really are quite lovely.
    you wouldn't like it. you see them gutted and cut up in the market stalls, along with any other kind of edible animal you can imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post

as for hiking boots, i have about 3 pairs, all ugly. varied because they are graded for different pack loads. haha
    hiking nerd.

guinea pig is delicious. i'd had it once before but was totally disappointed and underwhelmed because it was in a totally average sauce. this time i had it grilled and on a stick and it was yummy.
    and i had some of the best rabbit i've ever tasted.
    still, i think the best new meat award goes to cow's heart anticucho. soooo delicious.
    also had some delicious street burgers for less than 70 cents, with mystery meat and fries inside the bun. dodgy but oh, so tasty.

and yes, the many many kinds of potatoes. there are french fries everywhere and peruvians love their carbs. you order stuff at a restaurant and it comes with both rice and potatoes on the side. pretty funny.
    i also love the camote, especially in the ceviche. and that popped corn they give you everyhwere too.

peruvian food is amazing. there are tons of peruvian restaurants here and it's definitely one of my staples. but it's always so much better when you eat it in the country itself.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

czb

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Did you just say guinea pig???

Lol, I know they love them there, sooo freaky!
    yeah, they love them. make zillions of dishes out of 'em, too. i only got grossed out when the left the head on them and you could see the grimace along with the teeth. yuck.

They're gorgeous!
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Amazing pictures! Sounds like you had a great time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Wow, I love the lamb pic, and obviously all the others, what views

those photos are breathtaking!
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Gorgeous pictures. What a great sounding trip.

Happy trails to you...until we meet again.
    I love & miss you Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    yeah, they love them. make zillions of dishes out of 'em, too. i only got grossed out when the left the head on them and you could see the grimace along with the teeth. yuck.
    A friend of mine spent her gap year in Peru and she lived in a family home where the guinea pig just ran around in every room. And when they were hungry, they just grabbed one and roasted it over the fire.

"Hungry? Just grab one!"

A complete nightmare for a lover of furry animals.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

I don't understand why none of these photos will load for me. Stupid work computer!!!
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Ok, I saw them. Wonderful!
    And I love that lamb. I hope you didn't eat him.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

lol it's a baby llama but everyone seems to think it's a lamb. i guess he does look like one.
    no, didn't eat him. but i did have llama on a previous trip to the north of chile. it was yummy.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    A friend of mine spent her gap year in Peru and she lived in a family home where the guinea pig just ran around in every room. And when they were hungry, they just grabbed one and roasted it over the fire.

"Hungry? Just grab one!"

A complete nightmare for a lover of furry animals.
    ew. don't think i could have handled that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information