Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Coolest country you've visited

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Hilarious.

First of all, Gibraltar is not a country. Secondly, it's IN SPAIN!

I know it's not a country. It's just a place I really liked so I thought I would mention. I corrected myself in a later post. Second, Gibraltar is technically a British territory which happens to be at the tip of and NOT IN Spain. Get the facts straight yourself before implying I'm an idiot.
    Last edited by qwerty; February 4th, 2008 at 05:17 PM.

^^lol, BURN!
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Bronze Member

The coolest country...Scotland, no doubts about that. The coolest cities Ive been: London, NY, San Francisco, Cape Town (that one is amazing), Cuzco (Peru).

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    I have a big thing for crystal waters, so Greece has always called me. I cannot wait to dip my toes in the Aegean. Always wanted to take that train ride to Banff, Lake Louise in Canada.

I adore Venice Italy too.

For me, France, mais oui. It feels like my second home.

Banff is beautiful, lots to do...but it's very commercialized, tho you WILL see herds of elk crossing streets! Lake Louise is a little more out of the way. I highly suggest Jasper (the train goes thru there too) it's one of the few places in the Canadian Rockies where there is naurally occuring quicksand and sand dunes!
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

I love England. I'd really like to live there someday.
    No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world

India was great, been 3 times already. I went to the region of Punjab and visited loads of wonderful historical and religious places such as the The Golden Temple, which has to be one of the most beautiful sights i have ever seen (especially at night).

Pic - Golden Temple at Night

I also loved America and Canada [visited the East Coast last year] and although they are very similar to England there are also loads of differences between them too thats why i enjoyed America and Canada so much.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

spain, then mexico

I've only been to the States so i'll decide which states were the most exciting to me. Hawaii was amazing I would love to go back there, just so beautiful we stayed in Kuai and Maui for two weeks. Washington I make the trip down there often considering it's like a 15 minute drive away,anyway the Birch Bay area is where my friends owned a cabin and we would just shop there basically. Oregon we went to Sun River a resort type community, really athletic place which is perfect for me.

I went to Mexico in 2006, and I was amazed. The people were so nice, I liked the food and I was impressed about the culture. If I'd have the money and the time, I would like to travel a few months through Mexico.
    I spent some time in USA as well, but I was too young to remember everything. But I have only positive memories. We save some money for a trip to L.A. as soon as possible. We want to travel a little bit on the west coast, maybe the same trip I did then.

But it's so difficult to tell if you like a country or not.
    For example, since my boyfriend is Italian and grew up there I went a few times to Italy. I love the food there and the mood the people are in most of the time. Napoli is beautiful city, but I was disappointed when I went to Milano.
    Went to Turkey, too... Didn't really like Side where I spent my last holidays, but I really enjoyed my stay in Istanbul.
    Spent my holidays a fews years ago in south France, but when I went to Paris this December, I was sooo disappointed and reeeally didn't like the city, or the people, or the food, or everything about it!

So I guess I only could recommend cities and not countries.

My personal list would be: Berlin, Vienna, Prague, Venice, Napoli, Barcelona, Istanbul, Dublin and OF COURSE Zurich :-)

I don't know if everybody loves their own city the most. But I have to admit it, everytime I come home after travelling, I see my hometown (Zurich) with other eyes and never found another city where I can imagine to live than Zurich. You have everything here. You have a picturesque Old Town as well as "places to be". Zurich is not like the rest of the German part in Switzerland, you have so many influences from other countries here. In the region my bureau is located, you find restaurants and stores from all over the world. I know, it's a really small city comparing to others. But it's perfect imo; you walk through the street and you know a few faces here and there, so you are not just a number. But it's not that small that you think you've met everybody here before. I hope you know what I'm trying to say :-)

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    I know it's not a country. It's just a place I really liked so I thought I would mention. I corrected myself in a later post. Second, Gibraltar is technically a British territory which happens to be at the tip of and NOT IN Spain. Get the facts straight yourself before implying I'm an idiot.
    I never implied anything, you did that all by yourself.

Gibraltar is indeed in Spain. It is surrounded by Spain, therefore it is in Spain. Just like Lesotho is in South Africa, but doesn't belong to South Africa. My facts are perfectly straight, they always are.

That means, you have to go through a hell of a lot of Spain to get to Gibraltar. And since you stated that you hated Spain and will never go back there, I wanted to point out to you that you might be facing a practical problem while trying to get to Gibraltar.

Got it?
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    I never implied anything, you did that all by yourself.

Gibraltar is indeed in Spain. It is surrounded by Spain, therefore it is in Spain. Just like Lesotho is in South Africa, but doesn't belong to South Africa. My facts are perfectly straight, they always are.

That means, you have to go through a hell of a lot of Spain to get to Gibraltar. And since you stated that you hated Spain and will never go back there but want to go to Gibraltar, I wanted to point out to you that you might be facing a practical problem.

Got it?
    What are you talking about? We were discussing places we liked and I mentioned Gibraltar. It is a British overseas territory located at the tip of Spain with which it shares a border. A map and a google search bears out that it's not a landlocked country like Lesotho. It's clearly at the tip. Nor is it a country as we both know.

And yes, you do need to travel through/fly to Spain to get to Gibraltar. So? It's like a layover at an airport. You're not there to visit but have to stop over to get to your ultimate destination. So yes, you are indeed right. I may have to go to Spain again to get to other European destinations in spite of the fact that I hate it and don't want to go back. I'll deal.

Come to Scotland!! It's great here, loads to do, friendly people and great culture.

I've been to the US a bunch of times to see my husband before he was my husband which I loved, and around a few countries in Europe. My favourite was Italy, we spent a weekend in Rome and it was absolutely magical, I'd reccommend it to anyone. I also spent a few weeks in St Tropez in France and it was beautiful, great food, great weather, only problem was the snooty people but I didn't have to deal with them too much.

Oh and I had a wonderful time in Spain, went to Barcelona and it was really beautiful. GREAT friendly people especially.
    Last edited by Karistiona; March 9th, 2008 at 02:29 PM.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

i can't speak for an entire country, but as far as foreign cities go:

barcelona is my number one best experience. so gorgeous and fun... stayed in the old town district and fell in love. will go back for sure.

san miguel de allende in mexico was also unreal. had a similar old town feel, so beautiful and artsy. even an unfortunate situation with the tequila can't ruin my memories. (as for ruining tequila, yep. never again)

toronto & montreal were rad, even if i was only there for like a day and a half each and saw pretty much nothing.(vancouver was the only other city i've been to in canada and it was much the same. only a day and pretty rad from memory) and of course the 3 weeks i spent in london was a blast but it isn't such a memorable city like the others.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

effie, im so jealous of ya girl!

I went to Mexico in 2006, and I was amazed. The people were so nice, I liked the food and I was impressed about the culture.
    ^ thats what soooo many americans say who i know who go there and they come back with a new appreciation of certain things they might have had unjust prejudices about.

[/IMG]
    Live webcam two blocks from where i live.
    Alice i know you like pictures
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information