Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Cities that you like and dislike

^^ Vouch!

The beach is an amusement park in itself. Rock pools, bodyboarding, swimming, getting dumped, emptying sand out of your britches, collecting shells, sandcastles, burying your brother etc..
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Loved:

San Francisco! My number one, all time favorite place in the US.
    Chicago
    Atlanta
    Sometimes Nashville (shopping with my friend)
    further East TN: Cookeville and surrounding area (my mom's hometown, awesome hiking/biking trails, CAVES and waterfalls!)
    I loved living/working in Miami. Just hated the cost of living.
    Hot Springs, AR (the most relaxing ever)
    Oxford, MS
    Savannah, GA
    New Orleans, LA
    And screw me, but I liked Cancun and Cozymel. But last time I went was in the 90's. It's probably completely different now.

Hate:
    Orlando, FL
    Little Rock, AR
    Birmingham, AL (pretty much most of Alabama).
    Detroit, MI
    Los Angeles, CA (way overrated)
    Several "dry" counties in MS (which is pure horseshit, if anything people drink even more in these towns. Then go to church).
    Meridian, MS

Hate and Love Memphis. To quote a douchey facebook status: "It's complicated". This city is dangerous as fuck if you don't know the place. And people can't drive for shit. The turn signal is optional. And if you're honking that horn, it better be for a really good reason (like an attempt to avert an accident) because every motherfucker and his auntie is packing heat here. There are great things here (food, music, culture, yearly events), but I'm glad I live south of the border (in MS) and just work in the city.

My youngest brother lives in San Diego. I am dying to visit. From what I've seen and heard, I probably wouldn't wanna leave. When my kid leaves the nest, my husband and I have jobs that easily do travelling, so we might just see where that takes us.

Oh, and I'd love to go to NYC.

Then I could think of a dozen places outside the US that I wanna see before I die.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

^^ Vouch!

The beach is an amusement park in itself. Rock pools, bodyboarding, swimming, getting dumped, emptying sand out of your britches, collecting shells, sandcastles, burying your brother etc..
    Maybe it's a cultural thing - to us the beach is where we get away from the city, not bring it with us. And we do have an awful lot of them, some of them quite hideous tourist traps like Surfers - Mohandas would probably love it!
    Sleuth likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Well I know I said I didn't 'get' NYC when I went the first time, but hell scratch that. I love it, when I went in February I fell in love with it, and can't wait to go back in September. I also enjoyed LA too, loads better than I thought it was going to be.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    I guess it must be different here, we had a beach house north of Sydney that we would escape to most weekends and holidays, and there was nothing to do for kids except swim, play on the beach and wander around. And we loved it! The town was a fair hike away so maybe once every few days us kids would walk down and go to the flicks, but that was about it for entertainment.
    I bet I said it earlier, but we loved Sydney. We stayed at the Four Points Sydney in Darling Harbour. Best (free) breakfast buffet I have ever seen in my entire life. Also, some of the best coffee. It would be easier to describe what it didn't have than what it had. Also, because of all the Japanese tourists, it had a miso soup bar at breakfast. The best ever - even my Japanese SIL has never made the kind of tricked-out miso soup that Four Points had. Dinner buffet was almost as awesome.

In Sydney, loved Darling Harbour. The iMax theater was the best I've ever been in, and it was 3D. Great sushi-go-round there. Very nice aquarium on the harbour. Cool monorail for getting around town. I still have a great video clip of Mrs. Mohandas on the ride that is one of my all-time favorites to look at.

Really liked Taronga Zoo. And loved, loved, loved Featherdale Wildlife Refuge. The tourist bus rides to take you around the area were worth every penny. Sydney has one of the best metropolitan bus systems that I have ever seen. It even got us to three different clothing-optional beaches (Obelisk, Cobbler's, and Lady Jane). Seeing my spouse on Obelisk was one of the peak experiences of my entire life.

We did not do the Sydney Harbour bridge walk. Even in 2001, it was too freaking expensive.

Also, Sydney had some of the friendliest people and service personnel I've ever experienced in my life.

The beach is always the ocean and the boardwalk to me. I guess that's how we grew up. The smell of the french fries and funnel cake, along with the smell of the ocean. The beaches where i grew up aren't that exciting. Flat sandy beach and water. The boardwalk just made summer, summer
    hustle4alivin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    We did not do the Sydney Harbour bridge walk. Even in 2001, it was too freaking expensive.
    At least 3 times a week I direct people up to the footpath on the eastern side of the Bridge - you climb the stairs up the south pylon and instead of paying hundreds of bucks to climb the span, you spend zero bucks walking all the way across to the north end, and if you're too tired you can catch the train back. And the view is still pretty spectacular.

I met an old American guy last week who was visiting for the first time with his Aussie expat wife. We started chatting and he kept going on about how open and friendly everyone is and he loves Aussies so much that he married one, and he's been to many countries and would never just be able to shoot the breeze at the bus stop like we were doing. I guess he was lucky he didn't meet any racist bogans but we hide them out in the burbs.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Let's see....

What comes to mind first is Chicago. I was totally surprised by my reaction as I usually enjoy big old cities. I disliked and distrusted it. I was there with friends in 2005, and another friend who was visiting family in Columbus OH drove up to fetch me. We spent a couple of days in Chicago and she agreed with me. Just so much blight and truly scary neighborhoods and the place turns on a dime. One second you're on a nice block with mommies and strollers and next thing there's filth everywhere and ghetto creeps are eye-fucking you from corners and literally heading for your car the minute you stop at a light.

I lived in Oakland for years. Had nothing on Chicago lol.

Downtown was interesting and there were some cool, fun, lively neighborhoods, granted. I always found amenable microclimates. It was a trip for this Californian to see so much brick, too. I loved the architecture in many areas. But overall...no. And wow, so many rats. Once I noticed and began looking for them, I saw them everywhere. I don't doubt that all big cities have prodigious amounts of vermin, but the Chicago rats were BOLD, man, they would come right up and say hi with big toothy grins.

I asked a girl at a party, "but doesn't it drive you nuts that to get anywhere you inevitably have to drive through the most awful neighborhoods? What if you break down?" She got this odd look on her face and said slowly, "you know, that DOES suck. I guess I am just used to it. You pray you don't break down. Huh. I have been thinking about moving to New York..."

When my friend and I drove back to Ohio, we were astonished at how long it took us to get out of these really bleak-looking parts of Chicago. The ghetto seemed to go on forever.

Columbus was pleasant enough. I love the countryside in Ohio and we didn't hang out in town much. Yellow Springs is a beautiful little college town--my friend calls it "the Santa Cruz of Ohio" and I agree.

Providence made a huge impression on me. Much more beautiful and interesting than I thought it would be. It has such atmosphere. Likewise Boston, I could have stayed there for weeks.

I love New York. Even back in the badass 70s, when my parents and I saw a guy get stabbed in the booth next to us at Howard Johnson's, I loved New York. Still do. Most all of it, and I did a LOT of exploring. I was pretty fearless back then. I would love to go back.

Love both Portlands. Like Seattle, but it's a bit hard to get around, horrible traffic and a confusing layout. I-5 seems to be a perennial nightmare. LOOOOVE Portland OR especially, though. My favorite big city. It's so much fun, so pretty, such a great setting, gorgeous homes and kind, eccentric people. I even like the trashy parts of Portland. It's full of personality and humor.

Like Oakland. The bad parts are execrable and there is NO excuse for that shit, but the good parts are very good indeed, better than people know, beautiful, artsy, colorful and down-to-earth. I do like my hometown Berkeley still, though the hypocrisy is so thick nowadays you can cut it with a stick of butter. "Liberal" yuppies who would be secretly horrified if a black family moved in next door swarm there.

The big old Valley farming meccas, Fresno and Stockton, have the bones of classic, elegant twentieth century cities but they've been destroyed by the inevitable march of history and progress and picked bare by vultures and human trash. It's sad. Oakland would be the same if it too were located in nowheresville, but being in the central Bay Area has kept it alive. Sacramento is flat, HOT HOT HOT, and full of politicians. Luckily the central old town has thousands of huge shade trees and beautiful houses. It's pretty dull but you can always count on a good meal (again, the political infrastructure guarantees that) and the rivers are wonderful. There are MANY dive bars there. Old Sacramento is touristy but fun.

Love San Francisco. Everyone else has said why perfectly so I won't bother with details. It IS too fucking expensive and crowded and there are too many shitheaded snobby poseurs and hipsters--OMG, the hipsters! but it's just so beautiful and full of atmosphere, character and charm. SF is seductive. I could happily live there if I were, um, pretty rich. Even being poor in SF would be pleasant enough, but the problem would be getting a roof over your head!

Love Athens and all of Greece. Despite the awful air quality in the time period when I visited, Athens was beautiful and fascinating and a friendlier huge city I have not encountered. Likewise I love Edinburgh and would go back in a heartbeat; same for Cardiff, Tenby and Aberystwyth, Wales and pretty much every place I visited in the UK and Ireland, particularly Galway, Bath and York. I actively still miss York sometimes, 25 years on.

London and Dublin are okay. Overall I liked them, how could I not? I mostly explored both on foot and via mass transit and that would definitely be my choice in future, too.

I haven't gotten to visit Canada much yet, but I would vote Victoria and Kamloops BC VERY high. Lovely, friendly, charming cities both.

LA. I like Los Angeles. It's like a different, unique planet of its own. There is NO place else in the world like it. Incredible atmosphere and energy everywhere but I will always be particularly fond of the old downtown (and I went there before "revitalization") and Hollywood. Venice is cool too. But really, all of LA is strangely unforgettable, even the endless acres of grubby strip malls. You can never be bored there.

Likewise Miami, I think, though I didn't get to spend enough time.
    effie2 and lindsaywhit like this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Oslo
    Tel Aviv
    Cologne
    Nyc

A*O

I vote for Victoria BC too, in fact the whole of Vancouver Island, in fact the whole coast of Western Canada and the Rockies. Better than Alaska any day.
    Brookie and Kathie_Moffett like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Love:
    Barcelona - it's the most beautiful city I have ever been too. Beautiful vegetation, green little parrots sitting in the palm trees, awesome old buildings and great architecture overall, a lot of amazing parks, the sea...*swoon*
    NYC - I love the huge, old buildings, especially the churches between the business buildings. Central Park is beautiful too and I love how busy and alive everything is.
    Munich - again, beautiful old buildings and nice parks.
    Singapore - it's so modern. I love the skycrapers and also the old colonial buildings. Also beuatiful vegetation.

Hate:
    I don't really hate it but I found Hamamatsu in Japan really ugly. Didn't like Tokyo and Nagoya either. I found the architecture really awful and depressing. The people were super nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I vote for Victoria BC too, in fact the whole of Vancouver Island, in fact the whole coast of Western Canada and the Rockies. Better than Alaska any day.
    I have very positive memories of Victoria, BC, too. We were visiting the Seattle/Tacoma area in 1983. My uncle, who lived there, took us on a tour all around the area. That included taking us on a ferry across the Puget Sound into Victoria, BC. And booking two giant adjoining suites for the family in some hotel whose name I forget. We had high tea in what I think was the Fairmont Empress hotel. I remember the little finger sandwiches and crumpets that they served -- both of which I'd never had before. He also took us to nearby Butchart Gardens, which is an amazing park-like place that specializes in growing all kinds of flowers.

God*mnit, I love my Uncle Dan.
    Brookie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercer View Post
    Oslo
    Tel Aviv
    Cologne
    Nyc
    You're supposed to say whether you like or dislike these cities. Thems the rules.
    Mel1973, Tati, twitchy2.0 and 5 others like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

RULES must be OBEYED... stop ruining all the goddamned threads!
    Brookie likes this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I want to visit Seattle and Vancouver later this summer if I can. I've never been there and have always wanted to go. If anyone knows anything about either city, what would you recommend? I already know about the Pike Street Market and the Space Needle in Seattle, but any cool neighborhoods to explore? Capitol Hill? Ballard? Queen Anne? And Vancouver, what about Gastown, Chinatown, or Stanley Park?

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread Information