Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Cities that you like and dislike

The Petroleum Club. You will have to Dress and that includes you hair!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Karistiona View Post
    how does that even happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    The Petroleum Club. You will have to Dress and that includes you hair!
    Products make my hair look dirty - it's too fine and there's not much of it. Wait, what does my hair have to dress like?
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Honey, in Texas all hair must be "dressed"... the humidity is going to make your hair look like a damn swim cap! Sometimes I think if I didn't have to humidity pressing down on my hair, I'd have me an afro!

If you are going to the Petrolem Club with wash-n-wear hair, at least slap on a tiara.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Houston has great restaurants - one of the few cities I've visited and NEVER had a bad meal there. It's a cosmopolitan port city and due to all the different cultures there, It's where Mexican, Southern, Cajun, Vietnamese, Central American, and Chinese come together for an interesting mix.

Great museums too. Love the contemporary arts museum and the MFA there.

It just doesn't "fuse" together right. It's a business city and it doesn't cater to tourists, and combine that with the lack of zoning laws, planning and extreme sprawl, it's a VERY hard city to understand and know. You either have to do your due diligence and research before you go (which a lot of people don't do, would rather have a tour package spoon fed to them) or you better find someone who knows the city well.

Dallas is a lot more manicured and organized, but feels a lot more sterile than Houston does. Even their "funky" areas such as the Bishop Arts district and Deep Ellum, or Lakewood don't exactly feel organic. Nearby Ft. Worth feels a lot more organic to me.

Galveston's beach is ick nasty, but the town itself has a lot of charm. It has the potential of being Texas' version of Savannah or Charleston in terms of tourism, but there are too many politicians and provincial businesspeople who are natives of the city who dont want too much outsider influence. If you weren't born on Galveston Island, they don't fuck with you at all.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

It's interesting how different people see or feel cities. I think most of the time I didn't like a city was because I was there in the wrong season or maybe with the wrong people, I don't know.

Cities I didn't like:
    Paris - but it might have been the wrong season as it was cold and grey and the people were unfriendly. I've been to Brittany a few times now and was in the south of France and I always enjoyed my stay
    Naples - dirty and kind of a ghetto, almost got robbed. But the sea was beautiful. We stayed a bit outside, in Salerno, which is really beautiful.
    Milano - but it's still great for shopping and I return every now and then

Cities I liked:
    Rome, Pisa, Playa del Carmen, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Munich, Stuttgart, Salerno

Cities I liked so much I want to return or did return:
    New York, London, Berlin, Cinque Terre in Italy, Istanbul

And in three weeks I will stay for an extended weekend in Tel Aviv; let's see where I will classify it later
    -

I hate Imperial Beach, CA. Nasty beach town south of San Diego. Someone once nicknamed it "Meth lab by-the-sea" and for good reason. Peppered with bikers, druggies and their dealers, and more than one white nationalist/supremacist group. I lived there while stationed at the SEAL Base in Coronado, CA. Awful, tacky place. One of my married neighbors in my apartment complex tried to hit on me at least twice. Umhmm, HE sure did. He was married to an ex-hooker from the Philippines; I've never seen so many guys married to ex-hookers congregated in one area, other than National City, CA, which is right outside San Diego too.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by funky_chicken View Post
    It's interesting how different people see or feel cities. I think most of the time I didn't like a city was because I was there in the wrong season or maybe with the wrong people, I don't know.

Cities I didn't like:
    Paris - but it might have been the wrong season as it was cold and grey and the people were unfriendly. I've been to Brittany a few times now and was in the south of France and I always enjoyed my stay
    Naples - dirty and kind of a ghetto, almost got robbed. But the sea was beautiful. We stayed a bit outside, in Salerno, which is really beautiful.
    Milano - but it's still great for shopping and I return every now and then

Cities I liked:
    Rome, Pisa, Playa del Carmen, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Munich, Stuttgart, Salerno

Cities I liked so much I want to return or did return:
    New York, London, Berlin, Cinque Terre in Italy, Istanbul

And in three weeks I will stay for an extended weekend in Tel Aviv; let's see where I will classify it later
    Agree with you on Paris. We went in March and it was cold and rainy too. The people were rude and had this "I just stepped in shit" look on their faces... and if they didn't have that look, they were trying to fuck you! even if you were there with a guy! Those French guys were just sneakily aggressive. My ex would go to the bathroom and they would just swarm!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Same here! I was with my then-boyfriend in Paris and they hit on me even when I walked arm in arm with him.
    -

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I hate Imperial Beach, CA. Nasty beach town south of San Diego. Someone once nicknamed it "Meth lab by-the-sea" and for good reason. Peppered with bikers, druggies and their dealers, and more than one white nationalist/supremacist group. I lived there while stationed at the SEAL Base in Coronado, CA. Awful, tacky place. One of my married neighbors in my apartment complex tried to hit on me at least twice. Umhmm, HE sure did. He was married to an ex-hooker from the Philippines; I've never seen so many guys married to ex-hookers congregated in one area, other than National City, CA, which is right outside San Diego too.
    That's one of the reasons I haven't moved back to the San Diego area. I grew up in La Jolla, but now I'd only be able to afford to live in Imperial Beach or National City. One of my sisters now lives in a former drug house right on the edge of Old Town. We always joke about how downwardly mobile we are. (We have a competition as to who is lower class now.)

On a related note, my brother briefly worked in the US Attorney's office in El Centro. Now there's an armpit. Now he's in the public defender's office in Vista. All he sees all day are scum-bags.
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

I have to say that I didn't like Cocoa Beach, Florida. We were there in 2009 because Mrs. Mohandas was at a conference at Kennedy. The beaches were okay -- especially for little kids -- but that's pretty much the extent of entertainment there. No boardwalk, amusement park, etc. The only thing open at night seemed to be the Ron Jon surf shop. Open 24x7, ironically.

We'll be in Tampa next week for a family reunion kind of event. I like that area much better. Lots of interesting beaches within driving distance. Busch Gardens and some sister park that has lots of water rides. Not sure about the restaurants - my Japanese SIL was cooking dinners the whole time we were down there and she is amazing, so there was no need to venture out.

We are going to Pensacola, FL this summer, so I'm looking forward to that. I've never been, but my husband vacationed there a lot growing up and says that it's great.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    No boardwalk, amusement park, etc.
    Sounds like paradise to me. Isn't it enough for a beach to have sand and water?
    MontanaMama likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Sounds like paradise to me. Isn't it enough for a beach to have sand and water?
    I think if it were just my spouse and me, yes. One of our favorite vacations was on a Caribbean island where once we checked into hotel, we only hung out on the beach, which was 50 feet from our room. No TV, no phone, no makeup, no razors, no swimsuit. Paradise. But having little kids now, it's good to have a lot distractions and things to see at different hours.

I guess it must be different here, we had a beach house north of Sydney that we would escape to most weekends and holidays, and there was nothing to do for kids except swim, play on the beach and wander around. And we loved it! The town was a fair hike away so maybe once every few days us kids would walk down and go to the flicks, but that was about it for entertainment.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread Information