Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Cities that you like and dislike

I love San Francisco. It is lovely beyond belief. It has great weather, food, and scenery. You can't go wrong.
    I despise Houston. It is a sprawling mess without any character whatsoever. It seems to have been thrown together without any plan for traffic or architecture. Driving there is a complete nightmare. The homes look like McMansions.

ETA- I had to add how much I loved Salzburg. It was a small beautiful town. Austrian food is nothing to get excited about but everything else makes up for it. The Alps are not far away and their parks are lovely.
    Last edited by Janet296; September 16th, 2012 at 11:02 PM.
    Osakan likes this.

I like every city I have visited since I always find something unique about the city to enjoy.

My favorites are LA, NYC and Toronto.

Salt Lake City is rich in design and Washington D.C. is full of history.

And I love the food and culture in Lancaster, PA.

So many cities to see and so little time!

Quote Originally Posted by Janet296 View Post
    I despise Houston. It is a sprawling mess without any character whatsoever. It seems to have been thrown together without any plan for traffic or architecture. Driving there is a complete nightmare. The homes look like McMansions.
    ITA to ^This^

I like Washington DC for visiting, but I find the residents insufferable. The queens are so elitist down there. I thought people were exaggerating, but no, they weren't.
    hustle4alivin likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

I hate, hate, hate Milano. It's the ugliest city of Italy. I wish I could work somewhere else, but that's the only place in Italy where the economy isn't dead.

I love San Francisco, London, Lisbon, Dublin, Florence.

I love Stockholm and Oslo. If it just would be a bit cheaper.
    Also, Vilnius is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Melyanna View Post
    I hate, hate, hate Milano. It's the ugliest city of Italy. I wish I could work somewhere else, but that's the only place in Italy where the economy isn't dead.

I love San Francisco, London, Lisbon, Dublin, Florence.

Funny how everyone who lives in Milano, hates it actually. You could also go to Alto Adige, there the economy is also pretty good (but a lot is in German).

Sigh, there are so many places I'm dying to visit. I'm trying to convince my friend to drive through the USA with me for a few months one summer, think I'm wearing her down

My favourite place I've been so far is Rome, it's so beautiful and full of history and just amazing. Love love love it. I also love Edinburgh and Paris too. I really enjoy London but not sure I could live there for very long, too many assholes. On a road trip I randomly ended up in Freiburg in Germany and loved it, the people were so lovely and the city and surrounding countryside were gorgeous.

I've enjoyed most cities I've visited but I hated Marseille, it felt really unsafe, thankfully I was only there for a little while. I also didn't really get NYC, I'm guessing I went at the wrong time of the year (couple of days before Christmas) and with my former in-laws, so I'd like to go back and try it again with people I actually like to see if I have a better time.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    You mean, it's not pronounced "BiLUXie"?

So true about Forth Worth and Dallas. I was always more impressed with the museums in Fort Worth than in Dallas. Dallas rocks, though.

New Orleans: great city if you don't go during Mardi Gras.

Houston: Honestly? You need gills to breathe. It's super humid, with the stench of neighboring oil refineries on top of the humidity. Over-crowded. Also, nothing pretty to see there.

Atlanta: I found it to be more humid than Houston. But at least Atlanta has some pretty sights.

Nashville: *sigh* Love, love, love it!! Beautiful. Wish I could live there.

Savannah: Gawgeous!!

Galveston: this is absolutely my favorite little "island". It's quaint, romantic and has the coolest vibe. Sort've a Victorian/Cajun/Good Ol Boy fusion. If you haven't been, you MUST visit!

Denver: Loved it. Hated the extreme cold but the scenery makes up for it.

Austin: Great climate, cool restaurants and awesome music scene but the residents try too hard to be "cool". The whole "Keep Austin Weird" gets old really quick. It's like there are tons of pseudo-hippies going around screaming: "Look at me! I'm weird and I live in Austin so I'm not going to bathe."
    You are clearly insane! How can someone hate Houston and LOVE Galveston? Galveston is one of the nastiest fucking places I've had the misfortune to visit! BLECH! We may go for lunch on occasion, but that is IT! Houston has plenty of lovely things - you just have to know where to go... and I see something fairly beautiful every morning that I go to work:

I love it and it is beautiful everydamnday! Museums, historical sites, etc. Great food... so much good food! Friendly fuckers ... some assholes (a lot of assholes) too!
    Quote Originally Posted by hustle4alivin View Post

We get humid, but summer down in Houston is like staring down into a pot of boiling water. New Orleans and Orlando are like that too.

We're higher in elevation and way farther inland, and that helps temper it a bit, but these last few summers, oh boy
    HEY! I ain't got gills!
    Quote Originally Posted by hustle4alivin View Post
    Not an unpopular opinion at all, quite common actually. I found out that if people avoid the whole Park Cities/Uptown/Preston Road corridor, there are friendly people to be found in Dallas.

One thing I've observed is that for the most part Houstonians and Dallasites get along like oil and water or the bloods and crips Makes the Melbourne-Sydney rivalry and the one-sided San Francisco-Los Angeles rivalry (most Angelenos couldn't give a shit what San Franciscans think of them) look like child's play in comparison.
    I don't know what that shit is about! I'm no native and one of these days, I'm getting the feck outta here! Just the fact that Texas has to have the Dallas Cowboys & the Houston Texans tells you a little bit...
    Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I like Houston, just hate the humidity!
    Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    The riverwalk is very pretty, and New Braunfels is great! I love all of the little Texas towns in that vicinity... New Braunfels, Gruene, Lukenbach, Fredericksburg. It's a beautiful area and the German influence is so fun. There's just so much to do. A lot of people don't realize that the Texas hill country is home to several vineyards. It makes a fun day trip to do the Texas wine tour.
    Throw in Brenham, Chappel Hill... I love those little towns, the hills, the bluebonnets - so beautiful!
    Now, THAT was one nice thing about Houston: the cost of living is extremely low compared to other Texas cities.

Now when I lived in Dallas, I found everyone I met to be welcoming and friendly and I lived and worked in the Park Cities/Uptown/Preston Road area. *shrugs*

And oh yeah. True about the MAJOR rivalry between Houston and Dallas.
    pbbfft!
    Quote Originally Posted by Janet296 View Post
    I love San Francisco. It is lovely beyond belief. It has great weather, food, and scenery. You can't go wrong.

ETA- I had to add how much I loved Salzburg. It was a small beautiful town. Austrian food is nothing to get excited about but everything else makes up for it. The Alps are not far away and their parks are lovely.
    THAT is a LIE!
    ITA to ^This^
    *seethes*

I honestly, can love/like any place I happen to be. I think it comes from being uprooted & drug around as a child. There are good and bad in every place you go. I like a town with a lake, friendly people, decent restaurants, a good school system and roads that don't fecking flood!

I have a business trip to Houston coming up - y'all are just making me look so damn forward to it.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Don't listen to 'em! The biggest complaints are the heat - justifiably so. Right now, it's in the 70's so, it's a good time to come.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    I have a business trip to Houston coming up - y'all are just making me look so damn forward to it.
    Just take an extra can of hairspray and you'll do fine. Fabulous restaurants and shopping.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Oh McJag - you would be so very disappointed in me. I think it's been 25 years since I have owned any version of hairspray. Thanks for the totally unbiased reassurances! Our event is at the Petroleum Club, so from what I understand, I'll survive.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    You are clearly insane! How can someone hate Houston and LOVE Galveston? Galveston is one of the nastiest fucking places I've had the misfortune to visit! BLECH! We may go for lunch on occasion, but that is IT! Houston has plenty of lovely things - you just have to know where to go... and I see something fairly beautiful every morning that I go to work:

I like a town with a lake, friendly people, decent restaurants, a good school system and roads that don't fecking flood!
    But it floods in Houston all the time! Galveston just has a "vibe" to it that's unique. I spent alot of summers in Galveston growing up so it's a childhood thing for me. Apparently Glen Campbell liked it too since he sang a song about it.

Galveston, oh Galveston
    I can hear your sea winds blowin'

But it floods in Houston all the time! Galveston just has a "vibe" to it that's unique. I spent alot of summers in Galveston growing up so it's a childhood thing for me. Apparently Glen Campbell liked it too since he sang a song about it.

Galveston, oh Galveston
    I can hear your sea winds blowin'
    That's why I said I like a place that doesn't flood. I constantly curse the city planners and engineers involved in Houston's planning! Unbelievable!
    Bluebonnet likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Oh McJag - you would be so very disappointed in me. I think it's been 25 years since I have owned any version of hairspray. Thanks for the totally unbiased reassurances! Our event is at the Petroleum Club, so from what I understand, I'll survive.
    how does that even happen?
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread Information