Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Cities that you like and dislike

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I just know I'm going to love St Petersburg - I'm a Romanov junkie.
    I've always wanted to go there because I was a Peter the Great junkie.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I love Chicago. But it does suck everything out of the rest of Illinois.

Love NYC, don't think I'd want to live there.

Paris, when I first got there, I was so disappointed because I thought it was stinky and dirty, which it is, but it grew on me and I was sad to leave.

LOVE Rome!

Didn't care for Barcelona.

I liked Athens as a tourist, wouldn't want to live there.

Santorini was awesome.

Midwestern cities I like: Minneapolis, Kansas City, St. Louis. Des Moines=overrated

Didn't care for Grand Rapids, MI.

Loved Charleston. Nashville is also nice.

Just got back from Orlando. It's a total tourist trap, I wanted to go a restaurant that wasn't a change. didn't have much luck. We also went to Daytona Beach. Other than the ocean, it's kinda a sad, depressing town. Even the hotels look depressing.

Loved Vegas, Don't want to live there!

Traverse City is great for vacation.

Saginaw/Flint MI, just depressing.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Istanbul is spectacular and so interesting, being at the crossroads of Europe and Asia.
    istanbul is incredible.

also, buenos aires. fucking amazing.

fez. you could wander around getting lost forever. fascinating place.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I have Turkey on my bucket list. I want to go to Istanbul, but I also have to see the fairy chimneys, the hot springs, the houses and monasteries built into the mountains. I'd also like to see Israel and Morocco before I die. And a million other places.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Brusselzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Geneva? Very pretty but very, um, Swiss. Ditto Vienna only Austrian.

Istanbul is spectacular and so interesting, being at the crossroads of Europe and Asia. One place on my bucket list is Russia and I'm going next year. I just know I'm going to love St Petersburg - I'm a Romanov junkie.
    That is on my Bucket list - I love the Romanov's and want to see Swan Lake performed too if I ever get there

New Orleans is my favorite recreational city but I would not want to live there because of the high cost of homeowner's insurance (if they'll even insure you) and the schools. I like the Southern feel, the food, and the lifestyle, though. I find NOLA to be a lot like Charleston, but without the pretension and snobbery.

San Francisco is beautiful and I always enjoy it, especially the Pacific Heights area.

I am partial to Houston because I grew up there. Depending on which school district you live in, there are excellent public schools. The cost of living is very low compared to other large U.S. cities, and there's a lot to do. The food in Houston is excellent, too.

I also like San Antonio for similar reasons. San Antonio has a lot to offer and seems like it would be a good place to raise a family. Low cost of living, good food, laid back people...

Aesthetically, I love the Pacific Northwest. Washington State is beautiful, and I especially enjoy Seattle and the town of Friday Harbor. Victoria, Canada was also gorgeous and I really liked the people we met and the atmosphere.

I know these will be unpopular opinions, but I dislike Dallas. This has more to do with my experiences of the people in/from that city than the city itself. While I have met some nice people from Dallas (including my best friend), the overwhelming majority of the people I know who are either from there or chose to move there after college are pretentious snobs who look down on anyone and everyone who isn't exactly like them. Many of them are also living beyond their means or off of their parents but still think that they're better than you because you're wearing J.Crew and they have on $4,000 designer shoes they either didn't buy or bought with a credit card that they can't pay off.

I don't think I dislike any city fully but if I had to pick it would be Memphis but it even has redeeming qualities if you find the right area.

My favorites have been:

New York City
    Las Vegas
    Venice, Italy-I could find myself retiring there.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I know these will be unpopular opinions, but I dislike Dallas. This has more to do with my experiences of the people in/from that city than the city itself. While I have met some nice people from Dallas (including my best friend), the overwhelming majority of the people I know who are either from there or chose to move there after college are pretentious snobs who look down on anyone and everyone who isn't exactly like them. Many of them are also living beyond their means or off of their parents but still think that they're better than you because you're wearing J.Crew and they have on $4,000 designer shoes they either didn't buy or bought with a credit card that they can't pay off.
    Not an unpopular opinion at all, quite common actually. I found out that if people avoid the whole Park Cities/Uptown/Preston Road corridor, there are friendly people to be found in Dallas.

One thing I've observed is that for the most part Houstonians and Dallasites get along like oil and water or the bloods and crips Makes the Melbourne-Sydney rivalry and the one-sided San Francisco-Los Angeles rivalry (most Angelenos couldn't give a shit what San Franciscans think of them) look like child's play in comparison.
    Last edited by hustle4alivin; September 10th, 2012 at 12:19 PM.

I like Houston, just hate the humidity!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I love love love St. Augustine, FL. I can easily (and have!) spend hours just walking around and/or drinking/eating at the local places, housed in the beautiful historic buildings. The ghost tours are fascinating and informative; there's Flagler College, the Lightner Museum, the Hotel Casa Monica - I could go on & on. Love it!

And of course, "the city" - a.k.a. New York

I'm going to take up for the ATL for a minute. I love to go there and see concerts, plays, etc and yeah the traffic can suck but at least there is 8 lanes for it to suck in. I'm not sure I would love it everyday but it is a fun town to visit.
    hustle4alivin and Waterslide like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I also like San Antonio for similar reasons. San Antonio has a lot to offer and seems like it would be a good place to raise a family. Low cost of living, good food, laid back people...

Aesthetically, I love the Pacific Northwest. Washington State is beautiful, and I especially enjoy Seattle and the town of Friday Harbor. Victoria, Canada was also gorgeous and I really liked the people we met and the atmosphere.
    I've never been to San Antonio, but my wife went to university there and she said it was a beautiful place (esp. River Walk, if I have the name right). She actually lived in New Braunfels, which is a short distance away, apparently has as much German influence as it sounds.

I love the Seattle area. At least to visit. Love Pike Street and the amazing selection of produce. My kids had a ball there. I like the topography, with all the trees and green everywhere. Love how close it is to the water. And how close it is to Vancouver/BC. Traffic is pretty bad, though. And the weather seems unpredictable enough that a lot of people dress in kind of schlubby clothing year round.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I have Turkey on my bucket list.
    I have Turkey on my Thanksgiving list.

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    I love love love St. Augustine, FL. I can easily (and have!) spend hours just walking around and/or drinking/eating at the local places, housed in the beautiful historic buildings. The ghost tours are fascinating and informative; there's Flagler College, the Lightner Museum, the Hotel Casa Monica - I could go on & on. Love it!
    I love St. Augustine, too, and I didn't even know about all those places. Loved the architecture, the beach areas, and the Ripley's Believe it or Not museum that I visited when I was a kid, and got the chance to take my daughter to, too. Also, they have a great winery right in the middle of town.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    I love Chicago. But it does suck everything out of the rest of Illinois.
    Chicago seems to be having a tough time - murder rate and 400,000 public school kids with no classroom to go to, and parents scrambling to find daycare while the strike goes on. Rahm better pull a rabbit out of a hat soon.
    Last edited by MohandasKGanja; September 10th, 2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Chicago
    Waterslide likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I love St. Augustine, too, and I didn't even know about all those places. Loved the architecture, the beach areas, and the Ripley's Believe it or Not museum that I visited when I was a kid, and got the chance to take my daughter to, too. Also, they have a great winery right in the middle of town.
    Oh man, they used to really do you right with the winery tour, to the point where you'd come stumbling out (no driving, of course). But last time I was there they were pretty stingy with the samples. Can't complain when it's a free tour, though, I suppose!
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    Oh man, they used to really do you right with the winery tour, to the point where you'd come stumbling out (no driving, of course). But last time I was there they were pretty stingy with the samples. Can't complain when it's a free tour, though, I suppose!
    True. It was a fun tour, and my memory is kind of sketchy, but it was the closest I've ever been to the actual areas where a company produces wine. My FIL bought a bottle of some kind of red they were selling, and we had it that night. It was amazing.

There is a cross country race out here that my wife and I have run a couple of times. It's hosted by a winery, and it goes through a vineyard. It's about 5 miles and grueling. But at the end there is all kinds of food and free wine tastings. The only bad part is that one of us has to be the teetotaler for the drive home.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I've never been to San Antonio, but my wife went to university there and she said it was a beautiful place (esp. River Walk, if I have the name right). She actually lived in New Braunfels, which is a short distance away, apparently has as much German influence as it sounds.
    The riverwalk is very pretty, and New Braunfels is great! I love all of the little Texas towns in that vicinity... New Braunfels, Gruene, Lukenbach, Fredericksburg. It's a beautiful area and the German influence is so fun. There's just so much to do. A lot of people don't realize that the Texas hill country is home to several vineyards. It makes a fun day trip to do the Texas wine tour.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information