Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Cities that you like and dislike

I absolutely LOVED New York City and Seattle. Didn't get to stay as long or see as much as we wanted, but it was great--both of them.

I despise Atlanta (especially driving there). I don't travel much, but luckily have liked most places I've visited.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    New Orleans will always be first on my list. Parade city-they celebrate everything!
    Love Dallas and I find it has everything.
    Anchorage,Ak. It is like the Old West must have been and the scenery is knockout.
    Las Vegas is fun and no one sleeps.
    Biloxi,Ms and Beau Rivage! I love to go there. Nice. I love the way my whole family says"BiLUXie".
    Fort Worth,Tx. Very different from Dalls, more cowboy. Good zoo & museums.
    You mean, it's not pronounced "BiLUXie"?

So true about Forth Worth and Dallas. I was always more impressed with the museums in Fort Worth than in Dallas. Dallas rocks, though.

New Orleans: great city if you don't go during Mardi Gras.

Houston: Honestly? You need gills to breathe. It's super humid, with the stench of neighboring oil refineries on top of the humidity. Over-crowded. Also, nothing pretty to see there.

Atlanta: I found it to be more humid than Houston. But at least Atlanta has some pretty sights.

Nashville: *sigh* Love, love, love it!! Beautiful. Wish I could live there.

Savannah: Gawgeous!!

Galveston: this is absolutely my favorite little "island". It's quaint, romantic and has the coolest vibe. Sort've a Victorian/Cajun/Good Ol Boy fusion. If you haven't been, you MUST visit!

Denver: Loved it. Hated the extreme cold but the scenery makes up for it.

Austin: Great climate, cool restaurants and awesome music scene but the residents try too hard to be "cool". The whole "Keep Austin Weird" gets old really quick. It's like there are tons of pseudo-hippies going around screaming: "Look at me! I'm weird and I live in Austin so I'm not going to bathe."
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; September 9th, 2012 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Biloxi,Ms and Beau Rivage! I love to go there. Nice. I love the way my whole family says"BiLUXie".
    I have to say that I like Biloxi, too. I've stayed at the Beau Rivage, the Grand, Isle of Capri, and Treasure Bay and I think I liked the Beau best too. The Grand is a close second. And I love an outlet mall.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Atlanta: I found it to be more humid than Houston.

We get humid, but summer down in Houston is like staring down into a pot of boiling water. New Orleans and Orlando are like that too.

We're higher in elevation and way farther inland, and that helps temper it a bit, but these last few summers, oh boy
    sprynkles and Bluebonnet like this.

Like:
    Toronto
    Ottawa
    Moncton
    Edmonton
    Kitchener/Waterloo
    Picton
    Jasper
    Edinburgh
    Glasgow
    Kirkwall
    Tarbert
    Boston
    Providence

Only to Visit:
    Las Vegas
    Traverse City
    Banff
    Calgary
    North Bay

Dislike:
    Sault Ste Marie, ON (hometown)
    Sault Ste Marie, MI (a million times worse)
    Sudbury
    Hamilton
    Mississauga, Etobicoke and such
    Waterslide and Rusalka like this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Being from Philly, I can see why some who visit here hate it - there is a lot to hate. Urban blight, crime, ethnocentric neighborhoods ( think only Detroit and Chicago are more segregated), and a bad attitude in general. But I do like some things about it, like the restaurants and the relatively cheap real estate. There are also several beautiful parks. But like a lot of big cities, it's in a bit of a freefall from the economy.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    Chicago will always be where my heart lives but I was born and raised there so I realize I'm biased. I love taking my kids. Its fantastic to see skyscrapers and theLake through their eyes.
    I love the skyscrapers and I take them for granted. Coming into the city on 90/94 (from either direction) at night is one of the most beautiful sights on earth. I get so sad about how much Chicago has changed that I keep waiting for them to announce they're tearing the Sears Tower down to build a Walgreens. And yes, I still call it the Sears Tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    Like:
    Toronto
    Ottawa
    Moncton
    Edmonton
    Kitchener/Waterloo
    Picton
    Jasper
    Edinburgh
    Glasgow
    Kirkwall
    Tarbert
    Boston
    Providence

Only to Visit:
    Las Vegas
    Traverse City
    Banff
    Calgary
    North Bay

Dislike:
    Sault Ste Marie, ON (hometown)
    Sault Ste Marie, MI (a million times worse)
    Sudbury
    Hamilton
    Mississauga, Etobicoke and such
    My father's family is from Moncton, NB and he grew up there. I absolutely love it there! I've also got family in Dieppe and Riverview. I wish I could have spent more time there. We also went to the Bay of Fundy which is so beautiful.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

^ We've only been here since the end of May but I'm loving it! It has the best elements of both city and country, and so much cool stuff around (including neighbouring provinces) within a small geographic area. I'm used to either being in a huge city (which I do like) or being an 8-hour drive from anything decent, so this is pretty much ideal for me.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

It really is the best of all worlds to me. I loved the downtown area of Moncton, and when I was there, there were a lot cute shops and bars, I liked the malls. The ocean was close by (closer than a 1000 miles, so that's good), so it's all I really need to be happy. I love big cities, but then I'm torn, because I like to see trees and green things, too.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I went to Orlando once, and though I was with family who was visiting Disneyworld, so we only saw that touristy part, I still hated it. Nothing of interest, where I was. I'm sure there's better parts, but where I was I hated it.

New Haven, CT, I really like. I'm biased cause I live pretty much on the city line of it, but I do love it. There's a lot of shitty parts, a lot. A block can mean the difference between Yale and getting robbed, but I still like it. It's filled with great restaurants. Not a ton else to do, but I still like it.

I loved London, it was beautiful where I was. I would love to go again.

NYC, love of course, love.

I really liked Brooklyn too.
    Ghent, Belgium, was beautiful. I only got to spend a night, but it was very pretty.

My favorites cities (US) and where I would like to live would be SF or San Diego. Love both of them.

For visiting, but not wanting to live there: Charleston (and Savannah, but prefer Charleston), Chicago (too cold), DC.

Wasn't really keen on: Tampa, Orlando, Miami, St. Louis, Baltimore, Houston, San Antonio, Indianapolis, LA.

Currently live in Atlanta and wish we could get out, but I do like the weather (I can't really deal with the cold any more). Don't like the stupid politics of the area and traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post

But i can usually find something interesting about a place, even in a city that sucks.
    same. although of course there are places i like more than others. and there are a few cities i really dislike.

Quote Originally Posted by DAP View Post
    I agree with Florence being the best Italian city. Rome, though nice, was surprising unlivable and cramp. The only other city in Italy I've been to was Naples, and that was a big ghetto.
    New York City - Does this really need an explanation? This place has everything!

Geneva, Switzerland - This is arguably my favorite European city. It's filled with charm and culture, and I love the scenery of the area.
    "
    wow, i don't think i've ever heard anyone call geneva their favourite city in europe. geneva is the place i've lived the longest in my entire life - 14 years in total. and i love it. and i hate it. it's pretty, and international and cosmopolitan and clean and easy to get around in. but it's also small and a bit stifling, people can be very closed-minded and cold. it's expensive as hell. it gets old going out and always running into people you know (and don't necessarily want to see).

i have to disagree with you about naples though. yes, it's dirty and crumbling and decadent but it's also utterly charming.
    rome is gorgeous too. like a living museum. and crumbling and decadent too. not sure i would live there but i have visited many many times and would love to visit more. florence is beautiful too but for me it lacks the charm of rome and naples.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    I've mostly been in Europe so I will rate some of the cities I have visited:

1. New York. The only major American city I have visited and it blew me away. I could totally live there.

2. London. Busy, lively and I loved the people, very helpful. Simply gorgeous.

3. Rome. An utterly gorgeous place. Food, culture, awesome people. I used to think that if one day I was exiled from Greece and could never live here anymore I'd move to Rome.

4. Barcelona. Full of life, gorgeous buildings and fun. A bit dangerous in some areas, though.

1. Paris *hides* I guess I should be stoned for this but in general I knew I should love it and it's grand and there were some simply amazing moments walking along the Seine but I am not a fan of Paris. The people being so rude didn't help either.

2. Vienna. I lived there 2 years and I liked it well enough but it is not a place where I could settle for good. I would always feel wrong there.
    i love london and new york. always wanted to live in both. finally got hte chance to live in nyc and i'm trying to make the most of it, maybe one day it will be london.
    i have to disagree with you about paris and vienna though. well, in part. while i absolutely love paris, and could see myself living there for a short period of time, it doesn't have the same effect on me as new york and london and i'd much rather live in those. i absolutely love to visit paris though.

and vienna... vienna has a special place in my heart. my parents lived there for 7 years, i was there full time for 2. made some great friends, and absolutely love the city. it's charming, decadent, elegant, and pretty much the final frontier of western europe before eastern europe begins, and you can feel it.

berlin. such a cool city. so much to do. and there's just a special energy to the city.

montreal. another gem of a city. not too big, not too small. great cultural life. lots of music and film and just interesting things going on.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'm another one that can find something great about most any place. Except Vegas. Hate it. Hell, I even like Kansas City, MO. Great place, great BBQ, great people.

I live in So Cal and really don't like it that much. The people are what ruin it and the boring weather. Food sucks, too.

I love, love, love the Pacific Northwest and hope to end up there some day. I also love the east coast, mid-Atlantic to New England. Always something great.

Quote Originally Posted by hustle4alivin View Post
    BITTER, what was it about Chicago that you didn't like? There were things about it that I liked (great food, museums, big city things to do ), but I couldn't see myself living there. Too cold in the winter, too much crime in parts of town, lots of segregation, and I get a weird vibe in the Midwest in general, but that's just me.
    All of the things that you mentioned pretty much sum it up for me, hustle.

I should also throw in a good word for Brussels. One of the prettiest cities I've ever seen, seriously.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

A*O

Brusselzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Geneva? Very pretty but very, um, Swiss. Ditto Vienna only Austrian.

Istanbul is spectacular and so interesting, being at the crossroads of Europe and Asia. One place on my bucket list is Russia and I'm going next year. I just know I'm going to love St Petersburg - I'm a Romanov junkie.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information