Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Cities that you like and dislike

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by DAP View Post

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - I LOATHE this place. Absolutely hate that abominable town. It embodies the "trailer trash" image in every way.
    I haven't read a single response to this and I don't care if this is repetitive...I live about 2 hours from Myrtle Beach and they don't call it the Redneck Riviera for nothing.
    MB is an uneducated tourists dream, I believe. It's dirty, it's overpopulated, and it's fucking boring if you have any interest besides airbrushed t-shirts.
    If you want to see beautiful SC coasts, there are other places to go. Trust.
    DAP and Waterslide like this.

I love Ann Arbor, Traverse City , Chicago , Seattle , Las Vegas , Key West

Over the summer I drove through South Dakota , Montana, Wyoming , and Idaho - the mountains are very pretty to look at and the national parks are amazing , there is just no way I could live in most of the towns they where way too small and isolated

I forgot to add the Upper Peninsula of Michigan some parts are pretty by the lakes but the rest is full of weird U-ppers and it all looks the same when you are driving to what ever overrated place everyone goes too - or as anyone from Michigan will say "Up North"
    JamieElizabeth likes this.

I pretty much embrace every city I've been to. There is going to be bad and good in most places and I usually find the good.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I LOVE New York, Chicago was kind of a dirty and dangerous place(It was 100 fucking degrees when I went so that may make me biased) but there were some great moments. Toronto impressed me, no slums(not like any of our slums anyway), clean, efficient, but the people were ruder than in any other city I have been in. Very surprising. Still have a positive image of the place.

I liked LA, and I know I would love SF.

Hated:

Erie, Pennsylvania-a level of hell for sure.
    Detroit-no need for explanation. Just very dangerous when I visited.
    Toledo..well I don't hate it, just feel sorry for it.
    Salt Lake City-never been, but I know I would get myself arrested for intentionally doing something to piss off the Mormons... another hated conservative bastion.

And most hated of all..

CINCINNATI! (Cincinnazi, Cincinnasty, Sensornati, etc). A decrepit city with a foaming at the mouth conservative Repug suburban ring. I want it out of my state-give it to Kentucky or Indiana! The most northern Southern(and not in a good way, the awful, racist, old stereotype way) city in the US!

*Upper Michigan should be it's own state.

I love SF, NYC, Paris (France) and the whole island of Maui. Not many places that I hate, but I would not choose to live anywhere but one of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorito_dirtbag View Post
    I haven't read a single response to this and I don't care if this is repetitive...I live about 2 hours from Myrtle Beach and they don't call it the Redneck Riviera for nothing.
    MB is an uneducated tourists dream, I believe. It's dirty, it's overpopulated, and it's fucking boring if you have any interest besides airbrushed t-shirts.
    If you want to see beautiful SC coasts, there are other places to go. Trust.
    I can't stop laughing about the airbrushed t-shirts! Wow, are they the capital for that or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    I LOVE New York, Chicago was kind of a dirty and dangerous place(It was 100 fucking degrees when I went so that may make me biased) but there were some great moments. Toronto impressed me, no slums(not like any of our slums anyway), clean, efficient, but the people were ruder than in any other city I have been in. Very surprising. Still have a positive image of the place.

I liked LA, and I know I would love SF.

Hated:

Erie, Pennsylvania-a level of hell for sure.
    Detroit-no need for explanation. Just very dangerous when I visited.
    Toledo..well I don't hate it, just feel sorry for it.
    Salt Lake City-never been, but I know I would get myself arrested for intentionally doing something to piss off the Mormons... another hated conservative bastion.

And most hated of all..

CINCINNATI! (Cincinnazi, Cincinnasty, Sensornati, etc). A decrepit city with a foaming at the mouth conservative Repug suburban ring. I want it out of my state-give it to Kentucky or Indiana! The most northern Southern(and not in a good way, the awful, racist, old stereotype way) city in the US!

*Upper Michigan should be it's own state.
    Indiana can't take Cincinnati because they already have Terre Haute and Gary! At the time I didn't mind Cincinnati because when I was there we went to dinner at some nice place overlooking the river and went to some cool records stores. Now, of course, I didn't have to live there, so that's something totally different. Toledo was OK, too.

I'm one of the few people I know that loves Detroit, but haven't been there either for years.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Boston. Oh, Boston, how I love thee. Going to Boston is like going home (and I'm British!). I will live there one day. Just thinking about the place makes me happy.

Probably should put this in 'unpopular opinions' thread, buuuuut - didn't 'get' NYC. I was so disappointed with it. I was only there 5 nights but it was just... Lacking. I need to go again with someone who knows the city because I think I have bad memories because I did touristy things and couldn't ever find anything. Plus I nearly fainted on Brooklyn Bridge. Someone fancy taking me around NYC?
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

I've mostly been in Europe so I will rate some of the cities I have visited:

1. New York. The only major American city I have visited and it blew me away. I could totally live there.

2. London. Busy, lively and I loved the people, very helpful. Simply gorgeous.

3. Rome. An utterly gorgeous place. Food, culture, awesome people. I used to think that if one day I was exiled from Greece and could never live here anymore I'd move to Rome.

4. Barcelona. Full of life, gorgeous buildings and fun. A bit dangerous in some areas, though.

5. Bergen (Norway). Hardly a big city but utterly charming, very clean and a young profile to it. Loved it.

And the places I don't like so much and would not go back:

1. Paris *hides* I guess I should be stoned for this but in general I knew I should love it and it's grand and there were some simply amazing moments walking along the Seine but I am not a fan of Paris. The people being so rude didn't help either.

2. Vienna. I lived there 2 years and I liked it well enough but it is not a place where I could settle for good. I would always feel wrong there.

3. Clermont-Ferrand. It's a city in the middle of France. I was there for a semester. I was so happy when I left that I tipped the taxi driver. Had a good time in general but the city was dirty, too hot, black and mostly ugly. People were so and so.
    If a god of love and life ever did exist... he is long since dead. Someone... something, rules in his place.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday View Post
    Winter Park is wonderful, whenever my parents visit we spend more time there than actually in Orlando.

I'm split on Tampa, my sister lived in some of the awful parts, but we have friends in other ones that aren't so bad (Ybor City is fun to spend time in, for example), and I like part of the "downtown" area better than Orlando's (maybe because the areas I've been in were near the hockey arena when I went to see the Lightning play), plus Tampa's proximity to beaches is better than Orlando's, Clearwater is amazing. I'm actually headed back to that area on Tuesday to go to the aquarium with the BF and are talking about hitting the beach afterwards.
    Clearwater Beach is one of my favorite beaches and I grew up in San Diego for chrissakes! Beautiful sugary, powdery sand, clean, clear water (they aren't lying), and the beach area itself has been cleaned up quite a bit. Nowhere near as tacky or touristy as other beach towns in Florida.

Tampa has that Gulf-Coast city thing going for it - very nice in some parts, but lots of roughness in others. New Orleans and Houston are the same way. I had fun in Ybor City, but that got old after about a year, and St. Petersburg is nearby and has a lot to do in it's downtown area. St. Pete isn't the sleepy retirement town that it was in the movie "Cocoon," but Tampa was a bit too laid back and quiet for my tastes. I prefer living in larger cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    There aren't many places I really dislike, but I don't much care for Atlanta. Mostly it's the traffic and the way it's laid out.
    There is no logic to the layout of this town.

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    I love San Diego. I lived there for 1 year and I cried for 5 after leaving.
    San Diego is too damn awesome. Grew up there and moved to Bumfuck, Mississippi when I was starting High School. Culture shock much?

Quote Originally Posted by DAP View Post
    Atlanta is one of my favorite cities. Being from Georgia (born in Augusta, specifically), it's just a different world from the conservative and rural demeanor of the state. I love being in Little Five Points and Midtown every time I visit the city. It has so much potential in the world to be the world-class city that it strives to be, but unfortunately, it seems like it always falls short before of the backward, racially-motivated politics of Georgia. Atlanta is the black sheep of this state; it seems like a lot of Georgians have this disdain toward Atlanta because "it is hogging all of the economic opportunity (this is how one Augustan put it)."
    Yes, cutting off the nose to spite the face is an art that Georgian politicians specialize in. And even the suburbs of Atlanta have a sort of hostility and disdain towards the city too. It's really stupid, and halts the way of progress in the area.

Augusta or "Disgusta" as I've heard it nicknamed by people didn't have the ambitious boosters that Atlanta did. While Savannah, Columbus, Augusta, etc. were insular and provincial, Atlanta pretty much invited everyone to come on down and see what they had to offer, and unlike other cities in GA, was deep inland and on an unnavigable waterway so they had to promote themselves differently. And the rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    I

CINCINNATI! (Cincinnazi, Cincinnasty, Sensornati, etc). A decrepit city with a foaming at the mouth conservative Repug suburban ring. I want it out of my state-give it to Kentucky or Indiana! The most northern Southern(and not in a good way, the awful, racist, old stereotype way) city in the US!.
    I've never heard anything positive about Cincinnati. Sounds like a place I'd totally bypass for somewhere else.

Another city I didn't much care for? St. Louis, Missouri. I tried hard to like that place because it has potential - charming neighborhoods, good "bones" and architecture, but I always get the vibe that it's a city that time has passed by. It was once considered a major city, (Chicago pretty much won that race back in the early 1900's), once had a huge corporate base and was once a more important city than it is now. New Orleans is the same way (surpassed by the more business-friendly Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Miami), but has the quirky history and cuisine to make it a more tourist-friendly city than St. Louis.

The people there seemed to be very clannish and provincial, a very depressing atmosphere in parts of town, a shit load of racial tension, and just a weird vibe in general. I can't say I'd go out of my way to go back to that city if I can help it.

I liked Boston a lot more than I thought. Considering visiting there again really soon!

I still haven't been to San Francisco or Seattle yet and plan to eventually!

Chicago will always be where my heart lives but I was born and raised there so I realize I'm biased. I love taking my kids. Its fantastic to see skyscrapers and theLake through their eyes.

There are parts of New Orleans that are fantastic but overall, I cannot stand that place. Is so seedy and dirty. It smells of pee and puke. I've seen cockroaches the size of small dogs there too. If it weren't for Cafe du Monde and Voo Doo, I'd never understand people going there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusalka View Post
    True, but I run out of money too quickly too spend more than a day or two there Between the shops and the restaurants...

If anyone ever goes to Banff and you're in the mood for a pricey meal, the Fairmont Banff Springs is the place to go. There are a few dining options but the main restaurant (I forget what it's called) has a dining room with floor to ceiling windows that look directly out into the mountains. Oh and the food's good too
    Banff Springs too snobby and stuffy for me; I've only been in there a couple of times. We tried to eat at their sushi bar several years ago and we were stopped at the door and asked if we had reservations (we didn't). They wouldn't let us in; it was 6pm and the place was completely empty.

My friend and I hang at Chateau Lake Louise - more shopping, more great restaurants and you walk right outside to the shore of the lake. Not much better than that.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I don't think I could ever pick favs but I can pick the WORST places on the face of the earth that I've had the misfortune to live:

San Bernardino, CA
    Harlingen, TX
    Fayetteville, NC

And because of those, I have earned the spectacular place I currently live - Bozeman, MT!!!

I'm also not a fan of Las Vegas (but I've never lived there), it's just not my thing at all and I hate deserts.
    Waterslide likes this.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Before I say what cities I like or don't like, I'd like to mention my criteria:

1. Decently planned out mass-transit system, so that people who either live, work, or play there can get around easily

2. Plenty of cultural and recreational areas and sites

3. Some sense of history, with architecture and monuments.

4. A feeling that you are not being price gouged to see any of the above.

For that reason, I love Washington, DC, but somewhat dislike Baltimore (which is closer to me).

DC is filled with museums and places to hang out that are huge, expansive, ever-changing and either free or less expensive. They have a vibrant nightlife.

All kinds of history built into it, and very easy to get to. This Spring, I took a nephew (by way of DC metro) down to Farragut North, and just by walking, we saw the White House, Lafayett Square, Treasury Building, Commerce Building, Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, WWII Memorial, Korean War Memorial, Vietnam War Memorial, FDR Memorial, and Martin Luther King Jr Memorial. And we did it in about 4 hours on foot.

The next day, we took the metro down and went to the National Gallery of Art. We saw paintings from Picasso, Monet, Manet, Gauguin, Renoir, Da Vinci, Van Gogh, Rembrandt, and on and on.

The great part is how easy it is to navigate the area, and how well-written the maps for the Metro and Mall are.

My problem with Baltimore is that it doesn't have the subway system to get you around. It doesn't have the sites to see. Everything, including parking, costs a lot of money, and I'm always getting lost.

Somebody mentioned Sydney Australia earlier. Loved that city. Very easy to get around, even if you were a noob like we were. We were never lost. Great food, great zoos and aquariums nearby. Easy bus tours to book. Very friendly and helpful local population. Clean. Crime seemed low - felt very safe at night for a big city. Bus system was clean, modern, easy to use and got you everywhere - including to three clothing-optional beaches, and the famous Bondi. Loved it.
    Waterslide likes this.

Elite Member

Like:
    Las Vegas, Chicago, Boston, London, Copenhagen, Washington DC

Dislike: St Petersburg, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Detroit ( but don't tell my husband)

Elite Member

Like: San Francisco, Boston, Washington DC, San Diego, Providence, London, Paris (not necessarily in that order)

Like but only to visit: NYC, Athens, Mexico City

Don't like: LA, most cities in NJ

I haven't been to that many cities, something I really regret. I have a feeling I would like most cities in the Pacific Northwest but I haven't been in that area in a long, long time. Also, Canada. I was in Vancouver City as a child and thought it was beautiful.

I am strangely drawn to small, older eastern seaboard cities (loved living in Providence for a summer) and I have a feeling I would like Baltimore.
    Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information