Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Cities that you like and dislike

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I'm surprised so many people love Chicago. I hate it and am trying my damndest to leave it. Some of that is for personal reasons, but I also think it's cold, miserable and most of what was interesting about it has gone away. The museums are nice, though. I'll miss that and Italian beef when I leave.
    Richard Jeni on Chicago- "I think that's how Chicago got started. A bunch of people in New York said, 'Gee, I'm enjoying the crime and the poverty, but it just isn't cold enough. Let's go west."
    BITTER, sprynkles, Osakan and 2 others like this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I love Savannah, New Orleans, Destin, Las Vegas, Charleston

There aren't many places I really dislike, but I don't much care for Atlanta. Mostly it's the traffic and the way it's laid out.

Waterslide, you should move down south with us! It's hotter than Hades and you'll have to dodge hurricanes and tornados and deal with crazy humidity, but it's close to the ocean and we're mostly hospitable.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Believe it or not---didn't care for Honolulu. Super fucking crammed and busy and traffic, etc. Waikiki wasn't bad, but Honolulu seemed just so, I don't know how to explain it.....too much.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    Believe it or not---didn't care for Honolulu. Super fucking crammed and busy and traffic, etc. Waikiki wasn't bad, but Honolulu seemed just so, I don't know how to explain it.....too much.
    Touristy and tacky?
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Yea I guess that was part of it....I think I had very different expectations than what I encountered.

I love San Diego. I lived there for 1 year and I cried for 5 after leaving.
    I'mNotBitter likes this.

DAP

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    ETA: florence is my favorite city in italy (out of florence, milan, venice and rome) and santorini was my favorite place in greece (out of athens, mykenos, paros and santorini). both are places i'd love to visit again.
    I agree with Florence being the best Italian city. Rome, though nice, was surprising unlivable and cramp. The only other city in Italy I've been to was Naples, and that was a big ghetto.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    My absolute favorite is Jasper, Alberta though. Lots to do, places to shop, tremendous scenery. Yeah.
    Ditto on this one. Canada's railroad towns have some of the best sceneries in the world.

Some of the cities I liked:

New York City - Does this really need an explanation? This place has everything!

Geneva, Switzerland - This is arguably my favorite European city. It's filled with charm and culture, and I love the scenery of the area.

Vancouver, British Columbia - This is a very clean city, and I loved the Asian culture there. It's like you really are in an Asian city. Some of the best Chinese and Vietnamese food I've tried was here.

Honorable mentions include London, Paris, Nashville, Charleston, Los Angeles, Chicago, Montreal, San Francisco, Tokyo, and Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by hustle4alivin View Post
    I currently live in Atlanta and I have a love-hate relationship with this place. Hate the traffic, in-fighting, retarded politics, and the whole fake it till you make it element here. Love the weather, location, and scenery and the charm.
    Atlanta is one of my favorite cities. Being from Georgia (born in Augusta, specifically), it's just a different world from the conservative and rural demeanor of the state. I love being in Little Five Points and Midtown every time I visit the city. It has so much potential in the world to be the world-class city that it strives to be, but unfortunately, it seems like it always falls short before of the backward, racially-motivated politics of Georgia. Atlanta is the black sheep of this state; it seems like a lot of Georgians have this disdain toward Atlanta because "it is hogging all of the economic opportunity (this is how one Augustan put it)."
    lindsaywhit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Richard Jeni on Chicago- "I think that's how Chicago got started. A bunch of people in New York said, 'Gee, I'm enjoying the crime and the poverty, but it just isn't cold enough. Let's go west."
    That is the most perfect quote describing Chicago, ever. And I'm pretty sure it's true. (I miss Richard Jeni.)

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I love Savannah, New Orleans, Destin, Las Vegas, Charleston

There aren't many places I really dislike, but I don't much care for Atlanta. Mostly it's the traffic and the way it's laid out.

Waterslide, you should move down south with us! It's hotter than Hades and you'll have to dodge hurricanes and tornados and deal with crazy humidity, but it's close to the ocean and we're mostly hospitable.
    I really want to! I love hot weather and I've never experienced a hurricane before, we just get tornadoes up here. Actually, how sad is it that I actually like humidity? I'm weird, but I do. And I am definitely looking to live near the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by DAP View Post
    Atlanta is one of my favorite cities. Being from Georgia (born in Augusta, specifically), it's just a different world from the conservative and rural demeanor of the state. I love being in Little Five Points and Midtown every time I visit the city. It has so much potential in the world to be the world-class city that it strives to be, but unfortunately, it seems like it always falls short before of the backward, racially-motivated politics of Georgia. Atlanta is the black sheep of this state; it seems like a lot of Georgians have this disdain toward Atlanta because "it is hogging all of the economic opportunity (this is how one Augustan put it)."
    We have that in Illinois, too, it's called Chicago vs the rest of the state. lol
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    I went there twice, but pretty much stayed on the Waikiki strip. I loved it. I rented a car and drove around a bit. A lot of the city looked pretty run down, but I did not really cover much of the island.

A lot of you guys have been to so many amazing places. Except for going through Canada a few times when we lived in Alaska I've never left the states. I really want to go to Norway and Sweden and...well I just want to travel Europe I guess.

Anyone been to Bora Bora? It looks so amazing.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Love:

Washington DC. So many different things to do there, there's something for all tastes.

Boston. A very energetic vibe to the whole town. It seems more artsy, fun, and less serious than somewhere like New York or DC in my experience. Probably because of the amount of college students there. Plus the fall foliage is beautiful.

Montpellier, Vermont. A completely charming, adorable little town. Great town to walk through, beautiful brick buildings, lovely farmers markets and cafes, nestled in the foothills.

Quebec City. Fantastic architecture and culture. It's everything Montreal wishes it were.

Banff, Alberta. Can't be beat for natural beauty. There isn't much to do there, the town itself is teeny but man is it beautiful. It's like walking around in a postcard.

Vancouver, BC. Again, beautiful nature and just a really cool vibe. Plus the food is amazing. The sushi in particular is to die for.

Rome, Venice, Milan. All gorgeous. Milan has a reputation for not being as beautiful as other Italian cities but it's still pretty damn amazing. The Duomo there is stunning; I'm a huge sucker for Gothic architecture.

Hate:

Montreal. Rude people, crumbling infrastructure, completely lacking the charm of Quebec City.

Philadelphia. Miserable and boring. Generally people there seem to be quite uncouth.

Orlando. Dirty and dingy. Bleh!

Edmonton, Saskatoon, Regina, Winnipeg. Best not even go there.

Banff, Alberta. Can't be beat for natural beauty. There isn't much to do there, the town itself is teeny but man is it beautiful. It's like walking around in a postcard.
    There's TONS to do there - it's called shopping.

Rusalka likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I love Vancouver too. Should have mentioned that earlier. Honorable mention to Halifax. Very cute little town with some big-city amenities.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    There's TONS to do there - it's called shopping.

True, but I run out of money too quickly too spend more than a day or two there Between the shops and the restaurants...

If anyone ever goes to Banff and you're in the mood for a pricey meal, the Fairmont Banff Springs is the place to go. There are a few dining options but the main restaurant (I forget what it's called) has a dining room with floor to ceiling windows that look directly out into the mountains. Oh and the food's good too
    Brookie likes this.

Love: New Orleans (maybe my favorite), San Francisco, NYC, DC and agree with the others, Florence. Boston is a cool little city, too. Saan Antonio amused me for a couple of days.

I haven't hated too many places except Venice. HATED IT. Big old smelly tourist trap.

I was bored in San Diego. Ditto Tampa. But can't say I hated them.

New Orleans will always be first on my list. Parade city-they celebrate everything!
    Love Dallas and I find it has everything.
    Anchorage,Ak. It is like the Old West must have been and the scenery is knockout.
    Las Vegas is fun and no one sleeps.
    Biloxi,Ms and Beau Rivage! I love to go there. Nice. I love the way my whole family says"BiLUXie".
    Fort Worth,Tx. Very different from Dalls, more cowboy. Good zoo & museums.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information